Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-20-2003, 01:01 AM   #1
yamato
2nd Gear Member

Advise on how to drive my BMW in the winter

Since there is another thread on "Advise on how to store my BMW for the winter", I hope someone can give me advice on how to drive my BMW in the winter? Any precautions or special preparations?

I wish I have two cars so I don't need to drive my bimmer in the winter... but on the other hand I think those safety thing like DSC, ABS, CBC.. are only useful in the winter. It seems a waste not to drive it around on slippery road.
yamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:04 AM   #2
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
my suggestion is to leave DSC on all the time when driving on wet and snow covered roards. Also make sure you get a nice set of winter rims/tires get Nordic tires! And if you want, get your car winterized before you drive it to the salty roads.

Jeff
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:11 AM   #3
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Just drive carefully in the snow.

Don't hammer on the throttle; instead be easy on the throttle and modulate as needed.

If you get stuck in the snow, use the rocking motion to get you out. That consists of going into reverse and forward a couple times till momemtum propels you to get going.

If there's a big open space and you would like to have some fun, turn off DSC and the other traction control aids then experiement the difference with the system on and off. Just don't get yourself stuck in a snow ditch

Definitely get a good set of winter tires such as Bridgestone Blizzak's or Nokian Hakkapalatta. I've driven my e36 328 in the snow with All Seasons (Michelin MXV4) and it sucked when the amount of snow began to pile up. So don't cheap out on not getting a set of winter rims and tires.

If you're doing an immediate stop in the snow/ice and ABS activates, keep your foot planted firmly on the brake pedal and let ABS do its job.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:15 AM   #4
yamato
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Just drive carefully in the snow.

Don't hammer on the throttle; instead be easy on the throttle and modulate as needed.

If you get stuck in the snow, use the rocking motion to get you out. That consists of going into reverse and forward a couple times till momemtum propels you to get going.

If there's a big open space and you would like to have some fun, turn off DSC and the other traction control aids then experiement the difference with the system on and off. Just don't get yourself stuck in a snow ditch

Definitely get a good set of winter tires such as Bridgestone Blizzak's or Nokian Hakkapalatta. I've driven my e36 328 in the snow with All Seasons (Michelin MXV4) and it sucked when the amount of snow began to pile up. So don't cheap out on not getting a set of winter rims and tires.

If you're doing an immediate stop in the snow/ice and ABS activates, keep your foot planted firmly on the brake pedal and let ABS do its job.
Thanks. How many inches of snow usually will give a bimmer problem on the road? I am considering to take a bus to work and not risk to get stuck on the road when snow is thick.
Old 09-20-2003, 01:21 AM   #5
bart320i
6th Gear Member

also when traction is mininmal try taking off in second gear instead of first and never never gas the car when shifting gears, making corners in the snow and try not to down shift in slushy conditions since your car might go side ways

then again I don't have traction control so it will be alot easier for you to drive RWD in the winter
Old 09-20-2003, 06:52 AM   #6
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
i drove mine the last 2 winter and always dropped in 2 bags of sand (60KG) , and the difference is hugeeeeee
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
M50E30
www.bmwclub.ca

1. When buying winter tires.....DON'T CHEAP OUT!
2. Put two big bags of kitty litter in the trunk (also helps for traction on the ice if stuck).
3. Go to Canadian Tire/Wallmart and get a storage container for the trunk and stock up on supplies (set of those metal traction aids, collapsable snow shovel, extra winter gloves, candles, matches, flairs, winter washer fluid, etc...).
4. Drive safe.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
yamato
2nd Gear Member

Do you guys know the best place in Toronto to install winter tires? A place that can make no scratch to the rim when taking the tires out.

Or is it better to buy the whole set, 5 x (rim+tires)? And install the tires myself? I assume I need the wrench that has torque control to do this?

I dont mind paying a little more for quality. The main concern I have is the installation causes scratches.

Thank you guys.
Old 09-20-2003, 04:06 PM   #9
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
if ur getting steel rims i wouldn't worry about it. i used to go to costco and let them do it, they ha the best price out there.

but if u scared about the rims then take it to www.wheelandtirezone.com dixie/eglinton i paid last year $80 to take the all seasons of the rims and install the winter tires on the rim and balance and the whole thing.

btw i got Michelin Pilot Alpin and they are very good but a bit pricey i guess $165 for 205/65R15
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 04:09 PM   #10
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by yamato
Do you guys know the best place in Toronto to install winter tires? A place that can make no scratch to the rim when taking the tires out.

Or is it better to buy the whole set, 5 x (rim+tires)? And install the tires myself? I assume I need the wrench that has torque control to do this?

I dont mind paying a little more for quality. The main concern I have is the installation causes scratches.

Thank you guys.
It is much better to buy a set of winter steelies with winter tires. I don't like using the summer rims and changing the rubber back and forth for the season change.

If you're really picky then you can buy yourself a torque wrench which allows you to adjust the amount of torque required. Pick up a set of the winter rims and tires and install it yourself at home.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:31 PM   #11
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

about 5 bags of salt in the trunk get me through it.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:.
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
'91 Alfa Romer 164S- Red/Black/ Recaro interior
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:06 PM   #12
SebSter
6th Gear Member

muahaha. awd rocks

anyways just do what the guys above said and you'll be fine, my dad does the same to his 535 and with good tires and a couple of salt bags in the trunk you'll be fine

just one tip: dont be lazy, do it in time.. last year i got caught out in the snow with my dad's car before he put on the winter tires and trust me its no fun having to go 20 or lower on streets getting stuck all over the place
SebSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 09:55 PM   #13
BMWF1

I would advise on putting bricks or sand in the trunk, as it modifies the weight distribution of the car drastically and the Traction is not able to work as well as it is suppose to. Keep the car at normal weight, if you have removed stuff to make it lighter for the summer then I would advise in putting something in its place, but not in the trunk. Just drive normally and don't go putting on some summer tires
Old 09-21-2003, 10:01 PM   #14
Lil'Smoothie

Quote:
also when traction is mininmal try taking off in second gear instead of first and never never gas the car when shifting gears
works well but its horrible for your clutch......

I drove a slammed 89 325is last winter as a beater w/out any problems
just get a decent set of snow tires and dont drive it in huge snow storms and you'll be solid. RWD is so much fun in winter
Old 09-23-2003, 07:37 PM   #15
maverick
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to maverick
drive it like you stole it

PIMP'N AIN'T EASY
especially in a sunturd
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: