Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-08-2002, 11:53 AM   #16
telegix
2nd Gear Member

True.. I could also die in such a car.. No airbags, no ABS... One of the main reasons i'm replacing it... SAFETY! Since winter is the *most* unsafe time to drive, i want my best car.. But i get what your saying..
telegix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 12:40 PM   #17
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
when i just got my car i had all season michelin mxv4 tires on it and drove thru the winter with me and had no problems at all that was last year.

this year i bought the Michelin Pilot Alpin which they say is better for a bimmer then the Arctic Alpin and is still H rated and also called high performance winter tire. all 4 of them cost me $600-700 but they should be fine for a few winters. the tire is great in snow and rain i took some corners in rain a bit faster then i would usually and the car didn't move anywhere.

anyway your right about the traction control without it the car wouldn't go anywhere. and djcontra there is no need to start with the 2nd gear if u have t/c .
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 12:42 PM   #18
GimpZ3
2nd Gear Member

You definitely want to invest in a dedicated set of winter tires and rims/steelies. I've driven my old RWD Z3 with both ZR, M+S, and Pirelli W210 winter tires, and let me tell you, the difference in traction between the M+S and winter tires is night and day. With the M+S tires, I couldn't even make it up my driveway even though there's a slight incline and a few cm's of snow.

For obvious safety reasons, go for snow tires.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:45 PM   #19
telegix
2nd Gear Member

So, baiscly i'll wait and see policy... I agree, if you look at the Arctic Alpine vs. Pilot Alpine, i think the Pilot's better. Simply because it's got huge ass thread's... It also says it isn't as quiet as the arctic, probably because of these bigger treads...

Quote:
Originally posted by MP328
when i just got my car i had all season michelin mxv4 tires on it and drove thru the winter with me and had no problems at all that was last year.

this year i bought the Michelin Pilot Alpin which they say is better for a bimmer then the Arctic Alpin and is still H rated and also called high performance winter tire. all 4 of them cost me $600-700 but they should be fine for a few winters. the tire is great in snow and rain i took some corners in rain a bit faster then i would usually and the car didn't move anywhere.

anyway your right about the traction control without it the car wouldn't go anywhere. and djcontra there is no need to start with the 2nd gear if u have t/c .
Old 04-08-2002, 12:57 PM   #20
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Yep you dont need to start in 2nd if you have T/C but unfortunately i dont have T/C so i'm stuck doing that, I havent had any problems this winter (being my first winter with my bmw), but it is a little slippery when stopping that's all.
I had blizzaks before when i first bought the car last winter, but they were worn down so much i couldn't really comment if i liked their performance or not.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 02:22 PM   #21
Freezin
1st Gear Newbie

Hmm, everyone seems to be using the Michellin Arctic or Pilot Alpines, are those the tires of choice for Bimmers?

Does anyone have any experience with the Nokia Hakkapeliittas or Nokia NRWs?
Freezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 02:59 PM   #22
MPRESION
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freezin
Hmm, everyone seems to be using the Michellin Arctic or Pilot Alpines, are those the tires of choice for Bimmers?

Does anyone have any experience with the Nokia Hakkapeliittas or Nokia NRWs?
Not on my bimmer, but I have the Hakkapelittas on my girlfriend's Integra. Handles really well.
MPRESION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 05:03 PM   #23
telegix
2nd Gear Member

Ok.. Do you guys think people should get winter tires for their FWD cars as well... How about a mix of only winter on the rear wheel tires?
Old 04-08-2002, 05:08 PM   #24
SickFinga

so you wanna grip to start, but u don't wanna steer?
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 05:11 PM   #25
telegix
2nd Gear Member

Ok.. I get your point... But people have done that before... Quite the comic...
Old 04-08-2002, 05:14 PM   #26
SickFinga

winter or summer tires it's still a ruber.
it's all about CHAINS
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 03:13 PM   #27
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
if the weather gets too bad
i'll just take the TTC

sometimes (and even this year too) the weather got sooo bad that EVERYBODY was having trouble. It's just not worth risking my ride, i'll take the red rocket to work and back. I get home faster than driving in traffic with a snowstorm anyway =)

(there are some nice girls on the subway to chat with too! =)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 11:29 PM   #28
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates
winter tires...

the answer is simply "YES"... winters tires are a must. the difference is night and day!

i have Michelin Pilot Alpins and their great. you'll spend some bucks, but you'll have lots of life on your other tires as well. so in others words, your extending the life of your summer tires!

best choice is to get a set of steel rims so u can just swap them. this way, u don't get all that salt and abuse on your oem rims!

i highly recommend winters tires.

remember, avoiding 1 single accident is worth $700 bucks! u can't put a price on that....

hope this helps.
Bill Gates is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: