Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-07-2002, 10:25 PM   #1
telegix
2nd Gear Member

Are winter tires really necessary?

Iím going to be getting my 2002 325i in May/June they tell me. The wait it killing me. Iíd just like to hear some comments from BMW owners here in Toronto with experience in winter driving on the RWD BMWís..? BMW has some convincing videoís showing a 3 series not being able to go up a hill without the traction control on. I remember driving an early Ď80s Chevrolet and having RWD wasnít the most pleasant thing. Of course there was no traction control back then. Iím wondering if it really necessary to buy winter tires or not? Iím not planning on taking off major roads (no cottage trips, etc.) during the winter.
telegix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 10:30 PM   #2
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Simply, yes, my mom's regular tires (Michelin MXV4) suck in the snow. I convinced my dad to get her some tires, Michelin Artic Alpine, quite a bit of a difference, on ice and total snow cover, they hook up decently, and less ABS interference under braking. Marginally better on slush. That said, don't expect winter tires to defy physics.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 10:50 PM   #3
SickFinga

not winter, but M+S(all season) tires are million times better than ZR tires in winter
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:08 PM   #4
telegix
2nd Gear Member

Well, i looked up the spec again and the stock tires are "Tires:16 x 7.0 Star spoke alloy wheels, style 45, 205/55R-16 all-season tires" Are the Michelin MXV4 what come with a stock 325i?

Last edited by telegix; 04-07-2002 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:17 PM   #5
Furious
BMW again.

my opinion,,is yes winter tires are god sent,,,,, these cars are hard to handle in heavy snow,,, a decent pair of all seasons could also work..
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:21 PM   #6
Lil'Smoothie

I've got winter tires on my 89 325is and the car is still absolutely terrible in snow, but im sure the new ones are alot better in the snow than the old ones with all the new advancements
Old 04-07-2002, 11:28 PM   #7
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

How can I put this? All season tires are CRAP!!! I will never use all season tires again in my life! I put on Michelin Artic Alpens on my car and I could not believe the traction. And summer tires have way better traction in the rain! So I suggest that you save your pennies for proper tires because tires are your first safety option!

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2002, 11:31 PM   #8
MPRESION
5th Gear Member

Yes. It makes a big difference in the way the car handles and all in the snow. Even though we didn't have much snow this year, it still was a life saver when snow did fall. The other plus to this is that you save tread life on your summer tires which in most cases are more expensive then winter tires.
MPRESION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:18 AM   #9
E36COMPACT
2nd Gear Member

Winter tires definately make a difference...I bought my car used and it came with all-seasons. I put on michelin arctic alipnes.....there was a big difference.
E36COMPACT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 01:56 AM   #10
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

It's all a matter of what you are used to. I've never had snow tires on any of my cars in last 6 years, and I just can't justify to myself spending 600-800 bucks on them.

To each his own I guess.

SL

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 02:02 AM   #11
Gamite

Quote:
Originally posted by MPRESION
Yes. It makes a big difference in the way the car handles and all in the snow. Even though we didn't have much snow this year, it still was a life saver when snow did fall. The other plus to this is that you save tread life on your summer tires which in most cases are more expensive then winter tires.

haha, Enio you experienced that first hand eh?

I used to have Pirelli P6000's as my all seasons, and, well, have you ever walked on an oily floor in an auto garage? Thats how it feels on the highway.

I only paid $380 for my winter tires, and when my stock wheels are as wide as 225, let me tell you its so worth it.

Unfortunately they're only T-Rated, so its not safe for me to go past 200km/h

Last edited by Gamite; 04-08-2002 at 02:05 AM.
Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 10:50 AM   #12
SWHEEEET
2nd Gear Member

There is also the option of storing your car. It would save on the wear and tear of winter driving and picture this:
You are driving down a highway and you get stuck behind the salt truck flinging salt and little rocks at your car the one that you cherish....

How SWHEEEET is that
SWHEEEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 10:51 AM   #13
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
I drove all winter on some crap tires i got from a junkyard with 98% tread on them. they were thinner than stock by quite a lot too. having the narrow all season tires with that much tread helped alot. I paid $80 for all four installed.

it helps if you drive carefully too, i would usually stop slowly and accellerate using 2nd gear instead of 1st.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2002, 11:09 AM   #14
telegix
2nd Gear Member

Well, how long do you think my Honda Accord '86 with 290,000km is going to last? I just put a new tranny in it and hope to repaint and sell it... I don't really drive on the highway during the winter.. Not that i can't, it's more so that i drive down yonge street to work everyday. I drive from highway 7 and yonge to the sheppard subway station, thats the building i work in.

Quote:
Originally posted by SWHEEEET
There is also the option of storing your car. It would save on the wear and tear of winter driving and picture this:
You are driving down a highway and you get stuck behind the salt truck flinging salt and little rocks at your car the one that you cherish....
Old 04-08-2002, 11:43 AM   #15
SWHEEEET
2nd Gear Member

I guess it depends on everything else on your accord, the milage is pretty high...
But if you consider spending $500 for a beater car each winter season is it worth it to save your bimmer? Comes down to personal opinion

How SWHEEEET is that
SWHEEEET is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: