Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-16-2003, 12:05 AM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
What's the best all season tire out there for 150-200 range?

I'm looking for something more quiet and smooth with good tred wear and most importantly predictable hanlding chracteristics. I'm looking to spend 150-200 per tire. Size 225/45/17. I'm looking for All Season's only.

I found the Hankook ZR rated tires traction is very good when new. However, when half worn, the tires are not predictable at all, it will grip or slide whenever it feels like it. I'd sacrafice some grip and have predictability.

Please post your experiences and recommendations. I'm currently looking at the Contennental Conti-Touring or Conti-Touring Extreme. I've used the Conti-Touring tires before and I love them. They grip OK in the corners, but they are predictable as hell, easy and safe to drive on, tred lasts forever. When the traction starts to give out the tires will squeel like crazy, whereas on the Hankooks it sounded like I was gliding on gravel.

I've also used Yokohama AVID H4's. They are great when new, terrible when only somewhat worn. Tred goes fast!

Thanks for your input,

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 09-16-2003 at 12:10 AM.
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 12:54 AM   #2
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
I am using Kumho Ecsta, nice tread design, good wet/dry traction, and I paid about 150 a peice. It is a tire guy that is in the Erin Mills Car dealerships and it is a store tucked back beside discount car rentals......
Thats for 225/45/17 which I think is what you are after.
The only thing is they are an H rated tire, but I never get up to that speed of 210 so it doesn't matter, plus it doesn't wear as fast as a Z rated tire.
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 01:39 AM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jays_Arctic323is
I am using Kumho Ecsta, nice tread design, good wet/dry traction, and I paid about 150 a peice. It is a tire guy that is in the Erin Mills Car dealerships and it is a store tucked back beside discount car rentals......
Thats for 225/45/17 which I think is what you are after.
The only thing is they are an H rated tire, but I never get up to that speed of 210 so it doesn't matter, plus it doesn't wear as fast as a Z rated tire.
Jay
They are rated as all seasons? I never knew they were only H rated. Reguardless, I don't know if it's the material that is in the Hankook/Kumho tires. But for my style of driving I really need some predictable tires. I find both the 712's and Ventus plus to be a very unpredictable tire. When the tires give out, it has the same effect. It just glides and all you hear is gravel. I know the 712's grip very well, but what I'm most concerned about is when it's just about to give out.

Thanks for the reply.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:18 AM   #4
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
I hear ya, Mine ar low on the back and they are getting a bit scetchy in the rain.....
Pirelli P6000's are very nice, but $$$$$, I had a set of those and they were awsome.
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 03:48 AM   #5
Bill Gates
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to Bill Gates

are u sure u want all season for your car? i've used the 712's and they are terrible in snow. the P6000 my gf has, and they are great, but only for light snow (and i mean light). her car is front wheel, so i can just imagine on a rwd.

i'm sure anyone that drives their bimmer in the winter will tell ya to keep winter tires along with summer. thats the best combo.

they don't even have to be the best of each, IMO, i find any winter tire will be better than the best all season tires. if u think about it, buying winter and summer tires will make your tread last longer for each season. its just the initial investment thats hard to swallow. but well worth it.
Old 09-16-2003, 04:01 AM   #6
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gates
are u sure u want all season for your car? i've used the 712's and they are terrible in snow. the P6000 my gf has, and they are great, but only for light snow (and i mean light). her car is front wheel, so i can just imagine on a rwd.

i'm sure anyone that drives their bimmer in the winter will tell ya to keep winter tires along with summer. thats the best combo.

they don't even have to be the best of each, IMO, i find any winter tire will be better than the best all season tires. if u think about it, buying winter and summer tires will make your tread last longer for each season. its just the initial investment thats hard to swallow. but well worth it.
I'm not going to use them for snow. I've got 15" rims w/ winter tires for that. I've driven my bimmer through 3 winters already.

I just need a relatively cheaply priced tire for my car which is comfy, safe and gives a little bit of performance. I've found with stiff suspension my car handles worse in the city. With all those bumps and pot holes it actually makes the car much more difficult to drive compared to stock. When I get more into track I'm going to invest in some nicer tires. For now, it's just one step up above the economy crap. So I'm looking for so called "High Performance All Season" tires.

One thing I did like about the Hankooks I'm using, it has really really stiff sidewalls. I throw the car around daily and it's held up very well. On my AVID H4's the sidewall was literally inverted in less than 1 month of driving.

Thanks for you input.

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 09-16-2003 at 04:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:22 AM   #7
Gamite

I still say kumho's are the best you can get for the money. But, its slightly out of your price range. I heard falken has something in that range..

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2003, 05:23 AM   #8
Gamite

Re: Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I've found with stiff suspension my car handles worse in the city. With all those bumps and pot holes it actually makes the car much more difficult to drive compared to stock.
Dude, where u drive? that's nothign compared to downtown. Its called Dodging pylons.

Old 09-16-2003, 02:34 PM   #9
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Re: Re: Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
Dude, where u drive? that's nothign compared to downtown. Its called Dodging pylons.
Hehe, well I drive on finch/don mills to school and the roads there are pretty bad. Not too many pot holes though. However, lots of cracks and uneven surfaces. For some reason I noticed the Bilstein's seem to have a hell of a lot less rebound than the Koni's which gives it a kind of a wavy feeling on uneven surfaces. All I know is when I drive for more than 15 min, I already feel sick. Could be my overall suspension setup, x-brace, urethane RSM's, bilstein's, eibachs and my Z rated 17" tires. Either way, right now I feel my tires are really noisey and rough. Just ask Rob (E30M3). When I was cruising beside him on the highway with the windows down he says "holy, I can hear your tires, they are so loud!"

Anyways, Does Falken make all seasons? I remember that their tred life is quite sort as well. I've hear the Azenis or something like that is pretty good.

Bry

Old 09-16-2003, 04:27 PM   #10
Gamite

trust me, that's nothing.

Anyways, why do they have to be all seasons? Can't u just find an inexpensive performance tire? cuz u'r not gonna use it in the winter anyways.

Old 09-16-2003, 06:17 PM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Gamite
trust me, that's nothing.

Anyways, why do they have to be all seasons? Can't u just find an inexpensive performance tire? cuz u'r not gonna use it in the winter anyways.
Well, all season tires overall have better tred life and more tred. Most so called "high performance" tires for under $200 and are "h" rated are usually all season tires, just like my old Yokohama AVID H4's.

I think I may just get the Conti-touring's.

Thanks guys,

Bry

Old 09-16-2003, 08:24 PM   #12
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
One thing I don't get is, if the Kumho 712s are supposely not quite predictable when at the limit, what makes you think all seasons will out do this problem?

I'm not a hardcore track racer but I'm happy with the 712's performance when I autocross. It may not involve be highspeed driving, i.e. 100km/h plus but it does the job. I've taken it up at highspeeds and it feels smooth, no tire noises at all when cruising at slow speeds, but this tire is a Summer tire. I believe Jay323 was referring to the Kumho's 711's, they are All Seasons. Even Thinair uses the Yoko ES100's and look how impressive his times are.

Anyways I think you should go for the Conti's and try them. For the money you're spending you can select your tires by a trial and error process. If you dont' like the conti's, move on to another brand and so forth.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:44 AM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
One thing I don't get is, if the Kumho 712s are supposely not quite predictable when at the limit, what makes you think all seasons will out do this problem?

I'm not a hardcore track racer but I'm happy with the 712's performance when I autocross. It may not involve be highspeed driving, i.e. 100km/h plus but it does the job. I've taken it up at highspeeds and it feels smooth, no tire noises at all when cruising at slow speeds, but this tire is a Summer tire. I believe Jay323 was referring to the Kumho's 711's, they are All Seasons. Even Thinair uses the Yoko ES100's and look how impressive his times are.

Anyways I think you should go for the Conti's and try them. For the money you're spending you can select your tires by a trial and error process. If you dont' like the conti's, move on to another brand and so forth.
I didn't say the 712's were not good tires. I was just saying for my style of driving I need predictable tires. And sometimes even the most high performance expensive tires will not do that. I find most All Season tires are very predictable, excluding the AVID H4. I've had good experiences in the past with the Conti's. I don't expect to get better track times with all season tires compared to my current Hankooks. But this way I'll stay alive.

Bry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: