Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-14-2003, 12:16 AM   #1
chitown
4th Gear Member

Radar Detectors

Have a question regarding radar detectors. I have a SS700 from the States, it's probably 6-7 years old I think. I have it installed on the bottom dash part right below the cd player and air conditioning/heat control in my car, it picks up various things like garage doors and stuff so it's sort of aged I think compared to new ones.

Question is...can cops detect a radar detector? I asked a friend who knows a cop and she says the undercover cop cars have a device installed that detects detectors. Is this true?

After cleaning the car today I decided to turn it on for once, I was always afraid of getting pulled over for using it, heh.
chitown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 12:33 AM   #2
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
they can detect the older ones. Some newer ones have what's calls VG2 installed, which basically tells you if it detects a detector, and then it shuts off to avoid being detected.
It wont work very well where you have it right now, it needs to be in view of the windshield. I've left mine on the dash for a year now in both of my cars without trouble, but I'm ready to face it if I have to.
One day i'll disguise it as something else (such as put all the electronics into another case)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 12:47 AM   #3
chitown
4th Gear Member

Yeah wasn't sure if it was effective or not in that area, guess I'll leave it off. Thanks for the info
chitown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 02:27 AM   #4
app
5th Gear Member

Cops can detect all radar detectors if they're equipped with the "Spectre" radar detector. But it's not too common yet. A Valentine One detector is badass. Need a friend in the states to get one though.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:05 AM   #5
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

i've got a lot of experience with detectors.. owned many Passports and Bell units, but swear by my beloved Valentine... worth every penny ($400 U.S.).

The VG2 guard shuts off your unit if it senses a cop detector (without warning). The higher-end units have "stealth" technology that prevent it from being noticed without shutting down... but even the best one (Valentine) will be picked up at a distance of 13ft... If you get nailed at that distance, you deserve what coming to you!

note: There are only a hand-full of these "radar detector-detectors" in the GTA... not every cop car has one.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:08 AM   #6
mkgino
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
i've got a lot of experience with detectors.. owned many Passports and Bell units, but swear by my beloved Valentine... worth every penny ($400 U.S.).

The VG2 guard shuts off your unit if it senses a cop detector (without warning). The higher-end units have "stealth" technology that prevent it from being noticed without shutting down... but even the best one (Valentine) will be picked up at a distance of 13ft... If you get nailed at that distance, you deserve what coming to you!

note: There are only a hand-full of these "radar detector-detectors" in the GTA... not every cop car has one.
What do you mean at 13ft you get detected?? Even if the detector is off, it gets detected? I was seriously considering getting a V1 and hardwiring it.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:22 AM   #7
Bavarias_Finest
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to Bavarias_Finest Send a message via Yahoo to Bavarias_Finest
I have a V1 and it is worth every penny. Its saved me a couple tickets and trips to the slammer without a doubt. Unfortunately though what they are doing in the states now is putting Ka - band and K- band boxes on the side of the highways that are playing havoc with drivers like me. No cops with their radar guns but simply little radar boxes that make me slow down for no reason . Luckily only a few states have implemented it, but if more do trips across the country could get a whole lot longer.

SL55 AMG 03' ---- I NEED IT

I dont do drugs, dont drink, I speed, that is my addiction.
Bavarias_Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:27 AM   #8
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

An independant car magazine tested many detectors and found that they all were detected... some less than others (even though manufacturers claim they are "undetectable") Of course this only means when they're turned on John. When I see a pig, I always turn mine off for safe measure. I totally recommend hard wiring the Valentine to your car, just make sure you can access it's power by a remote switch too.

p.s. Even the best detectors in the world won't prevent you from getting nailed by a clever cop hiding in the bushes using an "instant-on" radar. Your detector will notify you only when it nails you (kinda like a laser). Your best bet is to always stay behind another speeding car to block you initially.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
app
5th Gear Member

I don't think any detector can truly save your ass from laser either. Whenever they setup those huge traps, I find they have the laser on the tripod and you're cooked.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:10 PM   #10
SeRb
Don't shrink me Gypsy!

i thought the only way that they clocked ur speed was with the lasers. . . .so im confused. . .

what do they use "normally" when they're not using the lasers?
SeRb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 03:48 PM   #11
SeRb
Don't shrink me Gypsy!

btw. . .
if anyone got the mississauga news theres an article in the mississauga news about radar detectors and such

"Police have begun to combat this growing problem with what Smewing called "radar detector detectors". He said this new equipment lets officers know when a car near them has an illegal radar device by picking up its frequency and sounding off a signal. Port Credit OPP have seized 110 detecting devices since February of this year by using the technological gadget. Smewing said his force is snagging between one and two illegal devides a day since the spring. Peel officers have found the device hidden under the seat, in coffee cup holders and glove compartments, said Smewing. The ticket carries a fine of $170 and the coveted device, which runs between $200-500 USD, is seized by police.

I dont see what the problem is, I mean u only get a ticket, and u dont seem to get any points of whatever. So if u speed and get caught without it u can lose ur license get demerit points etc, this way u just pay a fine and u lose ur radar.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:33 PM   #12
tlaselva
1800+ HP Driveway

Send a message via MSN to tlaselva
Quote:
Originally posted by SeRb
I dont see what the problem is, I mean u only get a ticket, and u dont seem to get any points of whatever. So if u speed and get caught without it u can lose ur license get demerit points etc, this way u just pay a fine and u lose ur radar.
One clever person noted that he carried an older, cheapest unit he could find in his pocket. If he got pulled over, he would conceal the V1, and when the cop would ask for the radar detector he just detected, he'd pull out the cheap unit, and give that to the cop.

2010 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport

2010 GSX-R 750

2003 C5 Z06
LS7 427CI w/ECS Novi 2000 : Caravaggio Widebody and Full Leather & Alcantra Interior
903rwhp/815rwtq : 10.3@152mph
tlaselva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 10:55 PM   #13
SeRb
Don't shrink me Gypsy!

Quote:
Originally posted by tlaselva
One clever person noted that he carried an older, cheapest unit he could find in his pocket. If he got pulled over, he would conceal the V1, and when the cop would ask for the radar detector he just detected, he'd pull out the cheap unit, and give that to the cop.
lol, give him one thats like non-functioning
LMAO
Old 09-14-2003, 11:57 PM   #14
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Man, I had my detector taken away this summer and it has VG-2. It's bullshit, they can detect if you have one regardless of if you have VG-2 or not. The cop told me so.

Plus they have to be up on the front windsheild in order to get maximum results and then it is visible to cops.
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:10 AM   #15
325iSBimmer
///MMMM VIDA

Send a message via MSN to 325iSBimmer
this is what i want to do in the near future....
http://www.vb.quik.com/jmciver/pages/v1.htm

i think carrying around an old junker detector (which i have now) would be a must just so that the cops don't rip your car apart trying to find the V1

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: