Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-09-2003, 03:57 PM   #1
tranzlucent
1st Gear Newbie

Custom supercharger...bad idea or cool project?

just want to bounce an idea off the list here. How difficult would it be to build your own low boost (6 psi or so) supercharger kit for a 93-95 325is? The Powerdyne supercharger for example doesn't need any oil run to it, so it looks like a more simpler installation than a Vortech. I am thinking that I would need to =

1. design and machine bracket to fit supercharger head unit into the engine bay. (not sure about mounting points)

2. find proper length and size belt.

3. run new intake plumbing from the MAF to the supercharger.

4. run new intake plumbing to a cold air intake.

5. not sure about the pulley...any ideas here?

6. ideally upgrade the injectors, put on a thicker head gasket (cheap way to lower compression...?) and reprogram the chip.

any other big things/ideas/suggestions that make this either a baaaaad idea or a coooool project?

thanks,

tranzlucent
tranzlucent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 04:21 PM   #2
maverick
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to maverick
sounds like to many variables to me bolt lenght belt length and the pully and set up sounds like to many headaches to me
that's just my 2 cents

PIMP'N AIN'T EASY
especially in a sunturd
maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 09:45 PM   #3
madbeemer
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to madbeemer
sounds complicated, why don't you just buy a supercharger kit for it? I'm not sure what they cost, but I'm trying to find out myself, let me know if you find out too......thanks.!
madbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:31 PM   #4
Sickbimmer
750HP turbo E46 M3

The charger is abuot $2500 can. That's just the charger
Sickbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 10:54 PM   #5
///Milk
BangSentra

Send a message via ICQ to ///Milk Send a message via AIM to ///Milk Send a message via MSN to ///Milk Send a message via Yahoo to ///Milk Send a message via Skype™ to ///Milk
Quote:
Originally posted by madbeemer
sounds complicated, why don't you just buy a supercharger kit for it? I'm not sure what they cost, but I'm trying to find out myself, let me know if you find out too......thanks.!
i second the complicated part

///Milk

2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S
2009 Ford Focus SES Sedan
///Milk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 01:47 AM   #6
tranzlucent
1st Gear Newbie

why don't I just buy a kit? Because the kits are very expensive!!

Dinan and Active Autowerke make them.
Check their websites for prices, I think you'll find they are around $5000 - $6000. And that's not including labor.

Yes the project would be complicated. The question is how complicated?

Maybe its worth the $3000 difference. Or maybe not. That's what I'm trying to find out.

tranzlucent
Old 09-13-2003, 03:22 AM   #7
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

The kit is very easy to custom fabricate yourself. I've built some for various cars and have a template for brackets. The blower (Powerdyne) is one of the cheapest out there. As long as you have access to a machine shop and some tools with some basic knowledge, it will be a piece of cake. The only thing you need to watch is the proper pulley sizes (underdrive and blower)... make sure you have a tensioner pulley aswell because belts tend to slip as they stretch with age. Don't worry about lowering compression... stock is fine to handle 7psi (310HP on a 2.5L M50). All you need is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:57 AM   #8
tranzlucent
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the helpful response EMPOWERED. I have a couple of questions if you have a minute.

"The kit is very easy to custom fabricate yourself. I've built some for various cars and have a template for brackets."

Later, it would be great to get ahold of one of these templates, or conversely if you were interested in fabricating (for $$ of course) a bracket for me or others on the list that might be a big help too. Is this something you might be able to do?

"The only thing you need to watch is the proper pulley sizes (underdrive and blower)..."

I thought there was only one pulley connecting the blower with the engine... Can you explain what the underdrive pulley then is?

"All you need is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator."

Will this interfere with the engine's CPU? (And also possibly cause detonation if incorrect?)

thanks,

TRANZLUCENT
Old 09-13-2003, 05:28 AM   #9
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Originally posted by tranzlucent

Later, it would be great to get ahold of one of these templates, or conversely if you were interested in fabricating (for $$ of course) a bracket for me or others on the list that might be a big help too. Is this something you might be able to do?
TRANZLUCENT
not really a problem... I have the template for the plate that mounts to the Powerdyne blower (hardest to manufacture). The other brackets can be made by bending and drilling mild steel plates.

Quote:

I thought there was only one pulley connecting the blower with the engine... Can you explain what the underdrive pulley then is?
TRANZLUCENT
There is one pulley... but you need a corresponding pulley down on the crank to turn the blower (kinda like the Air Conditioning pulley). If you look at the front of your motor now (at the bottom), you'll see a double crank pulley... one for your accessories, another for your A/C. You'll require a triple one to power the blower aswell (if you plan on keeping your A/C). When you buy a blower package, a bolt-on underdrive (crank) pulley is supplied. This is required and can be bought if you search enough. The ratio between crank pulley and blower pulley determines the booth pressure you make. Make sure the diameter ratio of both are within specs to produce no more than 7psi.

Quote:

Will this interfere with the engine's CPU? (And also possibly cause detonation if incorrect?)
TRANZLUCENT
The CPU will compensate automatically. **IMPORTANT** -- Make sure you do NOT advance the timing (performance chip). Use the stock chip if you can't get a retarded one from Dinan etc.. (LOL)
When you first install the regulator, have it on full rich setting, then dial it back as you tune the car to achieve the proper setting. Watch carefully for detonation and only use high octane gas when driving a boosted high compression motor.

Good Luck

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 09-13-2003, 06:19 AM   #10
tranzlucent
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
not really a problem... I have the template for the plate that mounts to the Powerdyne blower (hardest to manufacture). The other brackets can be made by bending and drilling mild steel plates.
When you say 'other brackets', on an E36 325, what others would there be besides:

1) in between MAF and blower, bracket attached to intake tubing.
2) in between blower and air intake, bracket attaching air intake to wheelwheel(for example).

Quote:
There is one pulley... but you need a corresponding pulley down on the crank to turn the blower (kinda like the Air Conditioning pulley). If you look at the front of your motor now (at the bottom), you'll see a double crank pulley... one for your accessories, another for your A/C. You'll require a triple one to power the blower aswell (if you plan on keeping your A/C). When you buy a blower package, a bolt-on underdrive (crank) pulley is supplied. This is required and can be bought if you search enough.
Any ideas as to where to find this underdrive pulley? Did you custom make a pulley for your project cars? If you did, I imagine this would require CNC gear...

Quote:
The ratio between crank pulley and blower pulley determines the booth pressure you make. Make sure the diameter ratio of both are within specs to produce no more than 7psi.
If I was going with a Powerdyne blower, any idea if these specs could be gotten from their tech support? Otherwise any ideas of where they might be available?

thanks,

TRANZLUCENT
Old 09-13-2003, 06:24 AM   #11
sloveniaboy
6th Gear Member

wow, I think this is the best thread I've read on maxbimmer so far, I want a suprchargr now!!!!

empowrd, good stuff!!!
Old 09-13-2003, 07:02 AM   #12
EMPOWERD

Quote:
When you say 'other brackets', on an E36 325, what others would there be??TRANZLUCENT
The most important brackets... the ones that hold the blower firmly to the motor. The template I have is for a half round plate with specific holes that fit the PowerDyne unit... you must secure that large plate (blower) to the motor firmly so it doesn't move AT ALL with the motor's torque. Once bracket goes across the top and secures itself to the cylinder head (VANOS area)... 2 other brackets go down to the block (alternator area -- hidden from plain view). See pic attached as an example on my Vortech setup.

Quote:

Any ideas as to where to find this underdrive pulley? Did you custom make a pulley for your project cars? If you did, I imagine this would require CNC gear...TRANZLUCENT
I would assume contacting ERT, RMS in the U.S. They have kits for Powerdyne units, just tell them you got into an front end collision and need a new lower pulley. I made my own in my machine shop.

Quote:

If I was going with a Powerdyne blower, any idea if these specs could be gotten from their tech support? Otherwise any ideas of where they might be available?TRANZLUCENT
I know Vortech helped me out a lot with rpm and cfm specs for the blower they gave me (I got sponsored). They were very specific with data table regarding boost pressure wanted, maximum engine rpm used and specific supercharger gearing for my V9 unit. From what I remember, the ratio was around 3.7 from blower pulley diameter to crank pulley diameter on my unit. Don't assume these numbers for a Powerdyne unit as the internal turbine step-up may be different. Try contacting the manufacturer directly, you'd be surprised with the info they might provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (68.7 KB, 135 views)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 09-13-2003 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2003, 04:12 PM   #13
The Sly
5th Gear Member

hey I really like the setup.....

I always wordered if it's feasable on a E30....

I have not seen anyone with this on a E30 ..It can't be that hard!

I might be getting a supercharger very soon so I will study this setup to try and make it possible for one of my E30....

if any of you have anything for me on this matter...Please go ahead tell us more.

thanks Sly
Old 09-13-2003, 04:17 PM   #14
The Sly
5th Gear Member

Oh yes forgot ..E30 M20 engine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000584-1.jpg (262.4 KB, 150 views)
Old 09-13-2003, 08:41 PM   #15
miafori
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to miafori
Also I have an Eaton s/charger custom made project for my M20B25. But I need lots of information. Bentley and haynes manuals are not enough. I have been searching for about 1 year, couldn't finished yet. It is not easy work. I came across this part at ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33741

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: