Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-08-2003, 04:48 PM   #1
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
E36 M3 front brake install

Well, after having the parts available for a while, I finally had the time to rip into my car and remove the front suspension to install a set of M3 front brakes and some maintenence items at the same time.

Here is the list of parts I'm installing:

M3 euro floating rotors
M3 calipers
M roadster spindles (same as M3 ones)
stainless steel front lines
Powerflex urethane offset control arm bushings
Balljoints

I managed to pull everything off, including the struts and control arms, it looks so empty in the wheel well, just the swaybar end, and tie rod are sticking out.

The center balljoint on the control arm was a pain in the ass to remove, the nut was is a pretty tight spot, especially when you're trying to use 22mm wrench, and can only move the wrench like 1/12 of a turn.

I hacksawed the stock control arm bushing to seperate the 'lollipop' from the control, went to a machine shop and got new balljoints pressed in and the old control arm bushings pressed out.

Right now I have the car in like 100 pieces and I'm waiting on one part to start reassembling everything.

I'll post some pics of the rotors and caliper in a few minutes to see the size difference between the stock 328 parts and the m3 parts.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 04:57 PM   #2
e30mpowerd
3rd Gear Member

E36 M3 front brake install

well i think u did a very good and hard job ao what kind of brakes u install
Old 09-08-2003, 05:43 PM   #3
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, here are a few pics of the calipers and rotors for comparison purposes:

This is the tops of the calipers, the left being the stock 328 caliper, and right being the larger M caliper. You can even see the ///M stamped right on the caliper

This is the bottom of the calipers. You have no idea how heavy these things are (maybe you do)

Here you can see the obvious diameter difference between the stock rotors (left) and the M one.

And lastly, here is a pic of the tops of the rotors, the M rotor is so much thicker, I can actually fit my pinky finger in the vents.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 09-08-2003, 05:51 PM   #4
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Send a message via Skype™ to crusher
Nelson, how much did you get the Euro floating rotors/kit? Did you get them used? I wanna go with euro floating rotors too, I heard lots of good things about it.

Jeff

Sold/Traded-in
2006 M5
2003 M3
2003 Civic Si
2000 M Coupe
1999 M3
1999 323i
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:02 PM   #5
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by crusher
Nelson, how much did you get the Euro floating rotors/kit? Did you get them used? I wanna go with euro floating rotors too, I heard lots of good things about it.

Jeff
I got everything used (minus the balljoints and LCA bushings), I also heard a lot of good things about them and it was pure luck that I found them, I'm happy. I didn't buy the rotors seperately, so I don't have a price for you.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:39 PM   #6
Soldo
6th Gear Member

JEFF, i thought tha the euro rotor was a STOCK M thing?!
Hey nelson, how come the 328 rotor looks newer?!
Did you get them done at a shop?!
Also, what wheel size do you need now with the M Brake kit, can you still fit the stock 15's on in the winter?!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:20 AM   #7
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Nelson,

I am too in the middle of a brake upgrade, except I am upgrading to the e46 330 brakes.

I got my callipers from a shop in states and I am having some major fitment issues. I would like to compare the calipers that I have to yours, especially the brackets. It seems that I will need M3 kingpins as well, which should not be the case with true 330 callipers.

Do you think I could take a look at your M3 brackets sometime this week? It is hard to make a size comparison based on the pictures, and I would like to see them in person.

Thanks

Serge

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:25 AM   #8
jeremy
6th Gear Member

how many piston are the "m" calipers ?
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:27 AM   #9
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Almost all bimmers have one per calliper, except the big cars like 7series. They have 2.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
how many piston are the "m" calipers ?

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:41 AM   #10
jeremy
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Almost all bimmers have one per calliper, except the big cars like 7series. They have 2.

SL
i thought the "m" would atleast be a 2 pot....hmmmm, how big are the pistons ?

i'm just asking, beacause i picked up a set of wilwood dynalite II calipers awhile back for my bbk that i'm building....the dynalites are a 4 pot with 1.75" ss pistons...
Old 09-09-2003, 12:45 AM   #11
Soldo
6th Gear Member

jer, wheres d'ya pick those up from?!
and how much did they run you?!
Old 09-09-2003, 12:52 AM   #12
BMW_M52_M20
6th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to BMW_M52_M20 Send a message via Yahoo to BMW_M52_M20
Wow, I didn't realize there was that much of a difference from the regular 3'ers brake system to the M ones......
I am impressed, do you feel the difference?
Jay

Present: 1997 Jetta GLX VR6
2004 325iT (E46) (pops)
BMW_M52_M20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:59 AM   #13
jeremy
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
jer, wheres d'ya pick those up from?!
and how much did they run you?!
i picked them up from a company called bicnell...they're the north american distributor for wilwood..i can remember what i paid b'cause i bought some pads and stuff at the same time...

here's some info....it doesnt say dynalite two though... http://www.wilwood.com/products/calipers/bdc/index.asp

Last edited by jeremy; 09-09-2003 at 01:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:35 AM   #14
thinair
moderationistismingly

Ok, here are your answers.

Kevin: North American M3's have full steel non-floating rotors, which is why the euro spec ones are called "Euro Floating Rotors", and cost more then twice the price of normal rotors. The North American M3 rotors look like the 328 rotors, just bigger. The euro ones have aluminium bells that are pinned to the rotor.

Jeremy: The M3's have 1 piston floating calipers. The piston is 60mm as stamped on the caliper (vs. the 54mm stock size)

Serge: I do have the M3 spindles/kingpins, you can take a look at the parts, but I live like 40 minutes north of the GTA, and I have to have everything reinstalled by Saturday to do an alignment (for the auto-x on Sunday).

Jay: I haven't felt a difference yet (aside from picking up the parts), mostly because I haven't installed them yet. I'll let you know how everything feels once they're installed and I get the car back on the road.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:59 AM   #15
Soldo
6th Gear Member

SORRY MAN, still confused on this whole "FLOATING" business!
why is it called FLOATING, and so what the EURO M rotors have a bigger gap (so you can't fit your pinky in a US m rotor?!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: