Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-18-2003, 12:02 AM   #1
tuNED318
///M Testing Engineer

engine problems(stop by itself)

here's my problem

I started the engine and then eared(sp?) a noise(like something blowing up ) , but not a loud one. and white smoke was coming out of the front left side. engine did not stop. its just when i saw the smoke that i turned it off.

When I started it the second time, the engine had a hard time running(like wrong timing) and stopped by itself...

I tought the problem was the timing chain, so i checked it out, but it seems in good condition.

Anyone have a clue on what it could be(head gasket)?

ps: everything that's in front of the engine; belts, covers, radiator, fan... have been removed. So I can't check if there's a fault code, right?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:07 AM   #2
Predator_e36
AKA:e36=m3square

Send a message via ICQ to Predator_e36
take out he spark plugs and check the colour of each one, then colour of the oil and smell
Old 08-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
tuNED318
///M Testing Engineer

hi,

I did check the spark plugs, they were in good condition. Did not check the oil thought. I will.

but I don't think this is the prob, because I changed the oil(full synthetic 5W50) a few days before storing it for the winter. well I'll check it anyway.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:15 AM   #4
Predator_e36
AKA:e36=m3square

Send a message via ICQ to Predator_e36
oh ok, don't forget to smell it

then try to turn the engine by hand, see if it can turn
Old 08-19-2003, 02:40 AM   #5
Furious
BMW again.

you can still run your car without any belts, (however its very important that you do NOT im just trying to prove a point), you can still check for a fault code.

also what did you mean by "left side" (passenger or driver side)

lastly how long has it been in storage?
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 10:16 PM   #6
tuNED318
///M Testing Engineer

m3square: which smell am i searching for?
also I can make the engine turn using the crankshaft...

furious325is: by left side i meant driver side and my car was stored for 6 months, then I took it out for short rides and then the problem occured.

Now you said I could check for fault codes if the belts are off, but can I if EVERYTHING listed is? I don't want to get all codes possible or oil everywhere on the garage's floor

another question:
-Is it normal to have both, exhaust & intake, valves opened at the same time on 2 cyl (1 & 4) and the oposite(all closed) on the 2 & 3 cyl? I know that cylindres work in pair, but can't figure out how intake and exhaust valves can be opened at the same time.

sorry if this sound stupid but i'm new to mechanic, since its my first car

thanks for your help guys, i'm going to check this at last this week-end so if anyone else has a clue.... it's welcome
Old 08-19-2003, 10:57 PM   #7
Furious
BMW again.

how are you checking your fault codes? are you using a modec? or the traditional homemade way? if your using a modec, youll get all running codes, but i think everything you listed will not give you a code that i can think of. except maybe your voltage (alternator) and a possiblility of a coolant issue
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 03:24 PM   #8
tuNED318
///M Testing Engineer

i'll use the homemade way, costs less
Old 08-25-2003, 03:50 AM   #9
tuNED318
///M Testing Engineer

heres a little update:
I've worked on my car this weekend and the oil smell is okay, also checked out the color. it was ok too

There were no fault codes

going to sleep, cya
Old 08-25-2003, 05:22 AM   #10
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

tuned318 After storing my car for just 2 months it really didn't want to start again.. I cranked it forever untill it started.. then It was only running on 3 cylinders untill it warmed up. I also had a lot of white smoke coming from the tail pipe and a loud clicking noise that lasted 30 min. I hope it doesn't do this to me again next spring because i just rebuilt the motor over the winter.

Unless you blew the head gasket the last time you drove it, or something has siezed in the motor like a valve or somthine hydrolic. then i would just run the motor for a while and see what happens. I know it's not the best idea but as long as your getting a good spark from the ingnition coils, the plugs are good and the motor is turning fine then you shouldn't be able to hurt anything. Keep in mind you could have an air pocket in your oiling system or you might not be getting pressure to the hydrolic lifters and timing chain tensioner. Id have a mechanic drop by and test your oil pressure when you start it again. Without oil the M42's won't run properly.

any more questions just ask me.. i'm not a mechanic but i've spent a lot of quality time with my motor.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:29 PM   #11
tuNED318
///M Testing Engineer

slowered318: i don't think the head gasket has blown but maybe there is something seized as you said. I'm actually reassembling the engine to make it run, hope it will start just as yours did

Did you get to know what was your problem?

nb: the engine has something like 285 000 km, maybe that doesn't help gotta upgrade to M3 engine!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:35 PM   #12
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

Well i had to rebuild mine at 150,000 km's becaue the rings and pistons were worn to shit and that damn lucas film crap was gumming up all the oil passages with gunk!

Never found the reason for the hard starts.. but after it was rebuilt it started like a dream.. no smoke, no studder... nothing. It fired up better then ever. hard starts are usually a sign of bad compression and bad ignition.

But if you motor has that many km's on it i would consider replacing it with an M20 or M50

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: