Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-25-2003, 05:16 AM   #1
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

E30 fan clutch removal

is it a big job? i have to remove it..and im going to change it to an electric fan..is this a HUGE job?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 06:20 AM   #2
nzer
4th Gear Member

there won't be much gain..,well maybe a BIT from a standing start, but not worth the hassle of perhaps an electric fan failing etc etc). The fan as you know is clutched.. so when your moving it doesn't spin (cept for the wind blowing it round)

as for removing it.. its relatively simple , quite tight against the radiator though. I took the whole waterpump off when i was doing it cause i was replacing my waterpump.

as for mounting the new electric fan.. i guess you can be creative

good luck

Last edited by nzer; 08-25-2003 at 06:25 AM.
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 06:32 AM   #3
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

im not doing it for power..its my fan that wont work...it heats up at stand still, then when i start going it cools down...i dunno wtf is wrong..no coolant or anything leaking

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 08-25-2003, 07:14 AM   #4
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Do you mean the temp is okay at idle and then cools down when moving? That would be a t-stat problem no.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 07:36 AM   #5
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

The fan delete mod is not worth the time and money.. if you install an electric fan it's going to drain from your battery and your going to need to put it on a heat controled switch. Plus they are usually very noisey.

I have never had heat problems in any of my e30's, they do cool down a bit at highway speed but if you want better cooling then remove the a/c system and rad. the a/c fan rarely works on E30's and it's very restrictive to the air flowing to the coolant rad. fans should always be mounted behind the rad.. not in front!

Last edited by Slowered318; 08-25-2003 at 07:45 AM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 08:12 AM   #6
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

my fan is behind the rad...

r jay..no during driving its good...get into traffic jams or jus stop and temp rises

Old 08-25-2003, 01:24 PM   #7
nzer
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover

r jay..no during driving its good...get into traffic jams or jus stop and temp rises
he's talking about the AUX fan in front of the cooler for the A/C system. It turns on when you press the A/C button.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:36 PM   #8
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
Get a new fan with clutch assy.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 04:27 PM   #9
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by nzer
he's talking about the AUX fan in front of the cooler for the A/C system. It turns on when you press the A/C button.
oh haha..i never push that button

Old 08-25-2003, 04:54 PM   #10
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover

I would just change the fan clutch and t-stat to be safe cause you don't want to blow a head gasket and crack the head. I don't think the clutch is that expensive but you should see what bimmersport can do.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 09:51 PM   #11
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
If the clutch fan wasn't needed it would not have been designed into the car in the first place. Imagine yer on the 401 and a large accident has happed... you sit... move an inch... then sit then move a whole foot... then sit again. This happend to me earlier this year in my toyota. I'm no longer considering "fan delete" for my coupe. I don't even want to consider the consequences of over heating my mill.

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 05:59 PM   #12
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Ryan is right. I removed my Aux fan and the A/C is much colder now since the air cools the rad more efficiently. When I pulled out the Aux fan I noticed it didn't look like it belonged on a BMW, it was made in the US and I'm pretty sure in Germany it did not come as an OEM part. I think I must have reduced 20lbs off the front of my car. I would recommend removing this part as after a few years it seizes anyways.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2003, 09:35 PM   #13
nzer
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Ryan is right. I removed my Aux fan and the A/C is much colder now since the air cools the rad more efficiently. When I pulled out the Aux fan I noticed it didn't look like it belonged on a BMW, it was made in the US and I'm pretty sure in Germany it did not come as an OEM part. I think I must have reduced 20lbs off the front of my car. I would recommend removing this part as after a few years it seizes anyways.

Bry
your right .. it doesn't

those of us with german made BMWs made to german spec have grills that don't have holes in them. I can get you a pic if you want. OR .. those without A/C have a filled in grill.

My south african euro spec bmw didn't come with that fan either and i do have an a/c.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: