Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-23-2003, 04:05 AM   #1
BMWF1

Unhappy Rough Idle on 318 HELP!!!!

Hey guys, I get a rough idle while breaking and comming to a full stop. Now this happens when I am doing some heavy breaking, also normal and I just stop, i notice the engine shakes and the RPMs go from around 850 down to 400 then to 1200 then back to 850approx. Now if i brake heavy and once a very low speed release the brakes and let her go a little shes fine. But if i don't do that I get this shaking. ANYONE know what this could be, someone said it was the timing belt.....any merit in this???
Old 08-23-2003, 04:22 AM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

ya i have this problem as well, with me though it only happens when i'm moving coming to a stop, but when i'm at a complete stop its normal, but its bouncy when i'm approaching the stop!
Old 08-23-2003, 04:29 AM   #3
BMWF1

any ideas on fix???
Old 08-23-2003, 04:31 AM   #4
Soldo
6th Gear Member

not too sure!
someone once told ME O2 SENSOR, but i doubt thats it!
Old 08-23-2003, 08:03 AM   #5
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

BMWF1 you don't have a timing belt.. it's chain driven so that's not likely the problem.

It might be a vacume leak or a lack of vacume when you press the breaks hard. you could also check the sensors (air flow meter, TPS, crank sensor and fuel filter) But before you spend money on that stuff, Make sure you have no vacume leaks. you could also take throttle body, air flow meter and vacume sensor valve and clean it inside with some carb cleaner. The vacume sensor is locted between the firewall and intake manifold.. or could be between the engine and the air box via a medium size hose. (looks like a pump)

I had the same problem with my engine (almost the same as yours) and after i rebuilt it and replaced a lot of sensors and hoses it went away.. so i know the problem is fixable.

good luck
Ryan

Last edited by Slowered318; 08-23-2003 at 08:05 AM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 08:16 PM   #6
BMWF1

thanks showered, I think it may be the intake, because i replaced it with one of those "ebay ones" and now that I come to think of it, it was fine before I put it in. That piece of sh i t is being takin out right away.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:18 PM   #7
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

intakes are a load of BS, unless you do one up like mkgino did

Gino Intake

Last edited by Slowered318; 08-27-2003 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:01 PM   #8
BMWF1

I took out the intake, and its still rough on stops....ANYTHING YOU CAN SUGGUEST????????
Old 08-28-2003, 10:40 PM   #9
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally posted by BMWF1
I took out the intake, and its still rough on stops....ANYTHING YOU CAN SUGGUEST????????
Did you clean up the ICV and change your spark plugs? maybe it's time for a "motor vac" or if you don't wanna spend the money run some injector cleaner, then change the oil.

i'm shooting in the air.. need more info, what have you done so far?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:15 AM   #10
BMWF1

spark plugs were changed about 7K ago to NGK's, oil was changed about 1K ago. put the original air intake system in, cleaned filter, etc. I'm a novice mechanic so I am not to sure what you mean by ICV
Old 08-29-2003, 03:43 AM   #11
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

icv = idle control valve. it's the one i was talking about in my first post.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:06 PM   #12
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

could this be why my bros 325is shakes like crazy at a light?

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 07:25 PM   #13
BMWF1

is that the vavle type looking thing at the right side of the engine that you can kind of twist to make it go longer or shorter? Now That i know what it is, how do i go about adjusting it to make it Stable....E46 lover, i would bet it is, because mine does it and it drives me up the wall...someone told me i need to get the revs adjusted..is this what i need to do showered? I do really appreciate all your help so far.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:26 PM   #14
BMWF1

If we get this fixed i'll drive up to T.O with a case

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: