Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-02-2002, 03:24 AM   #1
Hooman89M3
1st Gear Newbie

Car Won't Start!!

OK, so i purchased my '89 M3 a little over a month ago. A few weeks ago, it wouldn't start, so I jump started it and it ran again. This happened 3 more times. So, I figured the problem would the be alternator. So I got a new alternator put on a week ago, and its been running fine. Well, just today, i was driving and I came to a light. I was sitting at the light and it turns green and i start going and all of the sudden my car just starts sputtering, and when i press the gas, nothing really happens. However, the gas was very low, so that might have been that. I try to start it up again, and it doesn't start. I go buy a gallon of gas, and put that in and it still won't turn on. So later, I got jump started and it started running again. (It took a good 10-15 to finally get it to start). Once I got the car started, i was reving it in neutral, and the battery light came on every time i reved the engine. ALSO, this week, the battery light would come on randomly, and also the battery light never came on before. So is my battery dead or what? My car won't even start right now. Thanks for the help.
Hooman89M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 09:22 PM   #2
MatyBMW
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to MatyBMW Send a message via Yahoo to MatyBMW
A story about solving your problem

Welcome,

The same thing happened to me:

I'll tell you the story first, its kind of interesting.

Ever since I had taken my car to have body work on the trunk and rear wheel well to remove small amounts of rust, my car would die after sitting for about 18-24 hours. When I got my car back, I would leave it in the garage over night, then in the morning the car would be dead. I figured it was the battery so I bought a new battery. WRONG!, the next day the battery was dead! F*CK! I said.. just when I had caught up on all my repairs and ready for performance improvements, I'm back to repairs again as I am sure you all are aware of. So I decide to try and diagnose it with my limited BMW knowledge. I bought a multimeter and pulled all of the fuses one by one and checked how much current they were drawing. My findings were as follows: The fuse responsible for the trunk light had a high draw when the car was off. I ended up finding out that because the height of my trunk had been adjusted during body work, the trunk light mechanism was not being pushed in far enough to turn the light off. I took some 3M tar and a bit of medal and rigged a small bump along the trunk plastic trim. This allowed my trunk light mechanism to become fully depressed. After this, I charged my Interstate battery up and left my car over night. BINGO! in the morning, she started like a charm!

This very well may be your problem. With your vehical off, check abnormally high current draw from each fuse.

Let me know if it works,

Sincerley
Matybmw
Old 04-03-2002, 11:16 PM   #3
Furious
BMW again.

mmmm,,,89 huh,,, do you know when the last time the battery was changed,, also ,, get it checked,, by any mechanic,, with a volt meter,, it should tell you if the alternator is gone or not
good luck
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 08:11 AM   #4
Betray
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Betray Send a message via AIM to Betray Send a message via MSN to Betray
air flow sensor? i remember mtrd had some minda problem with it.
Betray is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: