Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-18-2003, 08:17 PM   #1
Souvent22
1st Gear Newbie

Exhuast Systems

Hello. I just got a 330ci, and am loving it.......except when my freind brought his Porsche Boxster over....that engine note is to die for.

So my question is, I've been doing some research to find an after-market exhaust system for my 330ci. Most of them give a low-rumble raspy sound (REMUS). Not that it's a bad sound, but I want to hear the precision of the machinery. I want the wonderful precise engine note that the Boxster produces. Now, I know that there's more that goes into the final exhaust note of the car than just the tubing, but can anyone recommend a system that comes close? I wish the manf. would post clips of their exhaust systems....REMUS does, I appluade them for that. Thanks.

- Earnest
Souvent22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:13 AM   #2
Gamite

supersprint maybe?

this link might help...

http://members.aol.com/agspeed/exhaust.htm

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 01:29 AM   #3
SpudBoy
Couped up

Send a message via ICQ to SpudBoy
or you could buy a boxster... If your into sound and not speed.

(I eat boxsters and bxtr S's)

The BMW inline six is the smoothest mill available. I'd love a 330i or ci. I had the chance but all that electronic crap (drive by wire throttle/over-boosted steering) kept me shopping. I waited for an M coupe to become available. Ask Golden, It was worth the wait. It's not like most BMW's... It's better

Stick with BMW or get a 996 (my opinion only... the views expressed in this thread are those of SpudBoy and do not express the views of maXbimmer).

"Sound is just something you forget once you go def"
regards,

SpudBoy
'99 M Coupe - Imola/Imola
Signature Pictures by Alezone

original BMW parts

To mod or not to mod? That is the question
SpudBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:01 PM   #4
Souvent22
1st Gear Newbie

Sound

Quote:
Originally posted by SpudBoy
or you could buy a boxster... If your into sound and not speed.

(I eat boxsters and bxtr S's)

The BMW inline six is the smoothest mill available. I'd love a 330i or ci. I had the chance but all that electronic crap (drive by wire throttle/over-boosted steering) kept me shopping. I waited for an M coupe to become available. Ask Golden, It was worth the wait. It's not like most BMW's... It's better

Stick with BMW or get a 996 (my opinion only... the views expressed in this thread are those of SpudBoy and do not express the views of maXbimmer).

"Sound is just something you forget once you go def"
regards,
Very very true. Don't get me wrong, I think my BMW is better than his Boxster all in all (and I wish I could afford a new M3 or M5 right now), how-ever.....I could sit and listen to that engine all day long....espcially during accelration. I have to give Porsche it's props there. My only gripe is a few of the exhausts remind me of a lot of the Honda Civics that run around with a "pipe" on their exhaust just to make them "loud". When I heard the Boxster, I heard precision and quality....not "rumble rumble" or "hey-listen-to-my-four-cylinder-35HP-Civic-bust -your-ear-drums". So far, I've found a coupld of exhausts that meet my requirements of the sound I want during accleration, but haven't found one the gives me the quiet idle I want. A lot of them have to much "low-requency-rumble" through most of their sound range. I don' like a rumble at idle.

Yes yes, I know. I'm a hard customer to please, and should just shut-up and drive, or buy a Boxster.....but hey, I know what I want...and I'll be that much happier when I get it. We've all been there before. I have a Mark Levinson and Lexicon setup with MK Sound 750 MKII THX Select speakers, so sound is very important to me....even if it is only the exhaust. :-). Cheers. Thanks guys.

- Earnest

Last edited by Souvent22; 08-19-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:06 PM   #5
Souvent22
1st Gear Newbie

P.S. Speakers

P.S. If anyone here is looking for a "cheap" THX Select or THX speaker setup...I can not recommend enough the MK Sound 750 MK II. At 2K for a 5.1 setup, you will not find a better sounding setup until you break into the 5-6K range, even then, I like my 750's. (This is my opinion....but I believe a demo will make anyone a believer). Just my 2 cents. Ok, today is my 110 day. I'm pushing each day up 5 MPH, until I can finally test atht 155 Mark. :-).
Old 08-19-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
sadda///M
3rd Gear Member

Re: Sound

Quote:
Originally posted by Souvent22
....My only gripe is a few of the exhausts remind me of a lot of the Honda Civics that run around with a "pipe" on their exhaust just to make them "loud". ..
A lot of them have to much "low-requency-rumble" through most of their sound range. I don' like a rumble at idle.

- Earnest

Same here. Too many selections and too pricey but there's the idle rumble I so dislike. AND.. the loud ones.. OMG

I see that you dont follow the crowd just for the sake. Props.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:36 PM   #7
Souvent22
1st Gear Newbie

Re: Sound

Thanks Sadda. It's good to know that someone agrees with me on some level. I've been listening, and until I get my money togather....take that back, I have the money, but as soon as the Misses isn't looking so I can have a custom exhaust made, I'm going to stick with stock I suppose.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: