Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-12-2003, 03:06 AM   #1
Furious
BMW again.

Fan delete mod

ok i know this has been a subject of disscusion before, but is it worth it to do this modification? should i ever worry about overheating in the summer? (i realize its not super hot in Toronto but we can still get pretty smoking!)
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 03:53 AM   #2
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

I did a fan delete on my E30 so I am now running the aux fan in front of the radiator and a flex-a-lite in back of the raiator where the clutch fan was. I live in Texas and if you watch the news you know lately we have hit 110 degrees F. THATS HOT AS HELL! And for the last 2 weeks have not had one day below 100 degrees! My car stays under the half mark on the temp gauge. With my A/C running constantly! During the winter i dont notice the difference power wise but this summer it started bogging down because my clutch fan was always engaged! So I put the electric in and damn what a difference! Plus it ran between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way up on the heat gauge now it is below a half. Everyone told me the electric fan would not cool enough in an E30 because they do not cool as easily as E36's do but damn it worked wonders for mine so I hope you will be equally impressed! DO IT!! Plus it is soooo easy and so cheap!

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Automatic (soon to be manual)
2.5L M20 (3.2L M50 ON ITS WAY!! '99 with 28K Miles!)
Bright Red
Stock body (soon to have Reiger E46 kit maybe M-Tech II?)
18" VoXX WHEELS
Stock suspension(OBX COILOVERS and tokico illuminas)
Remus exhaust (headers soon?)
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges
stock BLAH brown interior leather (soon to have black vaders and all new black interior
Awesome system 2 12" JL W7's JL1000 amp JL 500.4 running 6x9 rear bostons and 61/2 front bostons!

2002 f350 Crew Cab Dually!
AIRBAGS ARE ON NOW!! Rollin' lower than Low_BMW scrapin' up the streets of DFW!! Tucking 22's almost to the center caps!!

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Just got done adding a 6" lift 20" wheels with offroad Nitto tires! It is fun to take out on a sunday afternoon of rock climbing, or mudding when it rains alott!
BoBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 12:32 PM   #3
hatnlvr
1st Gear Newbie

What were the necessary parts to do it in your E30??

I did this in my E36 but I definately would do it in the E30 too.
95 325is-3.2L OBDI, AA CAI, 540MassAir, AA Software, Eibach Pro System Plus, Lightweight Flywheel, X-brace, AC Schnitzer Front Stress Bar, Stage 3 Port-n-Polish head w/3angle valve job, Schrick Cams, 24lbs injectors
89 325ix-ESS Supercharger, Weicher Sport Stress Bar, B+G Lowering Springs, M-Tech Body Kit, 17in Rims
hatnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:58 PM   #4
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

Well ifyou want it to look good the you can get a E36 cap for the water pump shaft that connects to the clutch fan so when it is removed the cap covers the end of the shaft and make it all pretty! Also you will need a Flexalite black magic fan! It is model #150 Comes with all the universal mounts for mounting to the radiator! Works the best of any electric fans ive seen! Flows maximum CFM! Other than that it comes with all the wiring and stuff that you need! Need anymore info just post up or PM me!

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Automatic (soon to be manual)
2.5L M20 (3.2L M50 ON ITS WAY!! '99 with 28K Miles!)
Bright Red
Stock body (soon to have Reiger E46 kit maybe M-Tech II?)
18" VoXX WHEELS
Stock suspension(OBX COILOVERS and tokico illuminas)
Remus exhaust (headers soon?)
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges
stock BLAH brown interior leather (soon to have black vaders and all new black interior
Awesome system 2 12" JL W7's JL1000 amp JL 500.4 running 6x9 rear bostons and 61/2 front bostons!

2002 f350 Crew Cab Dually!
AIRBAGS ARE ON NOW!! Rollin' lower than Low_BMW scrapin' up the streets of DFW!! Tucking 22's almost to the center caps!!

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Just got done adding a 6" lift 20" wheels with offroad Nitto tires! It is fun to take out on a sunday afternoon of rock climbing, or mudding when it rains alott!
BoBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 01:32 AM   #5
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
I've got fan delete on my car along with a supercharger and I dont have any overheating problems (knock on wood).
I run the electric fan all the time though (pretty noisy)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:49 PM   #6
Peter1998
3rd Gear Member

no overheat problem for me on my e36 328is with fan delete.
Peter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
97 Z3 2.8
2nd Gear Member

I'm finding your words encouraging here guys! Now with the Flexalite, does it get a signal from the thermostat that tells it to turn on, or it is always on?
Old 08-18-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

it gets a signal from a coolant temp switch when it gets to a certain temperature the fan should turn on!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:22 PM   #9
Furious
BMW again.

how much for the flexlite? and i also should finally get my aux-fan fixed, im gonna take it apart and fix it myself, and save some $$ i can get spare parts from the mechanics place if i need. and next year ill put the a/c back on. thanks so much for the info guys
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: