Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-11-2003, 11:28 PM   #1
328power
GAS GUZZLER !!

WRX ? Good or waste of money

Was about to buy a 2002 WRX today but they didnt accept my offer : (

Has anyone had one ?

I drove one today its was pretty sweet other than the turbo lag...
Old 08-11-2003, 11:30 PM   #2
Peter1998
3rd Gear Member

get a 2003 WRX sti.. if u want to get one.. dont buy the old model WRX.
Peter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:42 PM   #3
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter1998
Have you checked the price?!
Do so!

Nice cars (except for cheap plastics, and insurance rates), particularly in Winter when fitted with snow tyres.

It's also a cop magnet par exellence....
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 PM   #4
EstorilM3
3rd Gear Member

Re: WRX ? Good or waste of money

Quote:
Originally posted by 328power

Has anyone had one ?

It must have been a helluva low offer you made.

One would think with the new STi out there, a used XRX (I assume you're talking about used, not new) would be a relative bargain...guess not

The clutches are weak in those cars, and it will go on you rather quickly, particularly if you do jack-rabbit starts - bearing in mind the low torque until the turbo comes on.

Plastics are also shoddy - not even third rate

Would make an excellent Winter car, and a good all-around vehicle if you get the station wagon version.

Check this Forum - they will let you know what the car is all about,
http://www.i-club.com/
EstorilM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 12:07 AM   #5
328power
GAS GUZZLER !!

Re: Re: WRX ? Good or waste of money

Quote:
Originally posted by EstorilM3

One would think with the new STi out there, a used XRX (I assume you're talking about used, not new) would be a relative bargain...guess not

The clutches are weak in those cars, and it will go on you rather quickly, particularly if you do jack-rabbit starts - bearing in mind the low torque until the turbo comes on.

Would make an excellent Winter car, and a good all-around vehicle if you get the station wagon version.

Check this Forum - they will let you know what the car is all about,
http://www.i-club.com/
yeah it was a 2002 with 37 km ...they were asking 30000 ... i tried making a deal with them but they wouldnt go down on the price with my car as trade in....
Old 08-12-2003, 01:09 AM   #6
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

i agree with Peter...STI is a lot better and has some wicked extra's that come with it, but pretty pricey

you were trading your car in and money! ur insane! sorry had to say it...your better off SELLING your car to BMW dealer....then take the money and what you have to put towards a car
Old 08-12-2003, 01:13 AM   #7
HIM
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to HIM Send a message via MSN to HIM
Brand new its $36, 000 so thats not too bad a deal

I hear the turbo breaks a lot in the WRX as well but I think its a great car, insurance is killer though, amazingly fast

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter1998
Its a lot more in price, theres a big difference between the two cars, if he can't afford a used WRX then how can the STI be an option??
HIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 01:17 AM   #8
app
5th Gear Member

To be honest, if you're set on a WRX, see if a good friend within a dealership or licensed mechanic will take you to Milton for the huge car auction. Might take a couple visits, but you might spot the car, and for WAY less than what a dealer will bend you over for.

After being to the auction, and knowing the "real" values of cars before they resell them on the lot, it's sometimes ludicrous what the dealers ask for.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:21 AM   #9
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by HIM

I hear the turbo breaks a lot in the WRX as well but I think its a great car, insurance is killer though, amazingly fast

Turbo breaks a lot huh? Is this from driving the car stock as it is or from having aftermarket engine components in the car?

I think Subaru would've addressed this kind of issue if the turbo breaks a lot on the car as OEM and plus you mentioned you "heard" about it so it's not a solid fact; I'm not flamming you but just trying to keep things unbiased here.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:28 AM   #10
HIM
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to HIM Send a message via MSN to HIM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be biased, I even had a thread a few weeks ago about getting the car for myself, and I am still in the process of consideration for that car , but I heard that from a BMW saleman I know quite well, don't know if its true but thought I might as well say it heh
HIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 02:09 AM   #11
golden
Doesn't have a car.

wrx is a solid friend, 3 guys at work have em and they've had zero problems, and they all love them

i drove one, and the acceleration is great.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:15 AM   #12
KennyTheGreat
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to KennyTheGreat
Quote:

Has anyone had one ?

Turbo lag?

Granny shift till 3rd and u'll want to let off the throttle, 3rd really pulls hard. 1st and 2nd gear,the turbo only spools half way mind you.

Quote:

The Clutches are weak? I don't think they go really fast if you drive it properly. You have to slip the clutch when your taking off, you can't just rev up and drop the clutch, the car won't go anywhere and most likely, you'll burn the clutch.

Plastic is shoddy? Where?? Only thing I know about ALL subaru's is their popout cup holders is shit. Worse design on the car. Everything elses seems nice and sturdy.

Quote:
yeah it was a 2002 with 37 km ...they were asking 30000 ... i tried making a deal with them but they wouldnt go down on the price with my car as trade in....
maybe you should consider for a 2.5RS if you want a bit cheaper. Bryan can tell you how it is, He loves it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim .E.
i agree with Peter...STI is a lot better and has some wicked extra's that come with it, but pretty pricey

you were trading your car in and money! ur insane! sorry had to say it...your better off SELLING your car to BMW dealer....then take the money and what you have to put towards a car

Sti is very sweet But if not much invested then just go for a WRX.

and for the matter about selling the car, I think he sound sell it private. Thatz how he's gunna make a bit more loot.

Quote:
Originally posted by HIM

Its a lot more in price, theres a big difference between the two cars, if he can't afford a used WRX then how can the STI be an option??
How does the turbo break? The only ways I can think of it breaking is that you raised the boost too high for the turbo to handle, misshift and pop the turbo and motor or spoolin the turbo really high when it's still cold(won't break but it's not too healthy, same goes for a lot of cars, you need to warm them up, You don't just start them and start ripping em around)

Insurance is expensive I agree but it's LEVEL 32 and it's the same insurance rate for a 330. same car you have...

Last edited by KennyTheGreat; 08-12-2003 at 02:18 AM.
KennyTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 02:20 AM   #13
KennyTheGreat
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to KennyTheGreat
btw, if your really interested in suby's

then come onto

http://www.Toronto-Subaru-Club.com/

check out ther forums, look around, scope out for some more info...

Ken
KennyTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:25 AM   #14
Gamite

Quote:
Have you checked the price?!
Do so!

Nice cars (except for cheap plastics, and insurance rates), particularly in Winter when fitted with snow tyres.

It's also a cop magnet par exellence....
have you checked the speed? 1/4 mile in 13.5!!!

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:31 AM   #15
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

i agree with kenny...but from my knowledge u cant "over boost a turbo" cuz a turbo maxes out and can keep at that psi as long as its maintaned....u can only over boost the motor, not turbo....

STI is 36g??? how much is regular WRX??

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: