Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-08-2003, 10:01 AM   #1
Adam M
1st Gear Newbie

Smile Newbie From Alaska has a Question

Hey guys, Iím the newbie for today I guess. Iíve been coming to this forum for a few weeks now, mostly just getting info about certain things about this and that. I recently acquired a 1987 BMW 325i 4-door that is in pretty ok shape. It has a little rust around the lower door trim, but nothing too bad. Iíve spent about 2 grand on nick nacks for it in the last 3 weeks, buying stuff on Ebay. I got a set or Leather seat shipped from Boston, which the seats only cost me 255, but the shipping was 332 because I live in Anchorage, Alaska. I got an intake, and a heat shield I just won from LukasBMW, an OPTIMA yellow top battery, ALPINE CDA-7876 deck, and so far thatís about it. Iíve been thinking about getting some sort of body styling kit for it, but I canít seem to really find any good ones. I was also going to buy some rims for it, seeing as how it has the stock bimmer rims, some springs and shocks wouldnít hurt either. I have to admit that I really know shit about cars. Iíve always wanted to get my hands on working with them, but work takes up most of my time. So Iím thinking that anything that I am going to want to do to this car, is going to have to be done through a good mechanic, which I donít know of a good one here in the cold north.

So, last week someone posted a link to this, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2427022070 My question to all of you is: Would it be worth it to me to get this? I have the money just laying around, and Iíve read a couple of threads saying about how they, (being you guys of course) would chose to get a turbo if you had the chance. But do you think this is a good deal, or just a gimmick? I donít what kind of shape you would call it in, but to me it doesnít look too bad. But what the hell do I know? So yeah, would it be a good investment for me to go with this, instead of a costly engine swap, or upgrading it into a stroker? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Well, itís good to be a part of the Max Bimmer family. I sure enjoyed reading all of your posts, (even if some of them made no sense to me). Thanks.

Adam
Old 08-08-2003, 10:24 AM   #2
Adam M
1st Gear Newbie

Or better yet, would it be even a better idea to just buy this engine and try to have it placed in my car. Just a last thought before bed. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2427173075

Thanks,

Adam
Old 08-08-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
97 Z3 2.8
2nd Gear Member

I'd be picking up the Turbo. Easier to install, your engine respond well to boost. I've been in a 72 2002 with a turbo 2.5 installed. Pulls extremely hard. Faster than an Alpina B7 Turbo! The M50 engine will cause a lot of wiring ans sensor headaches you don't want to deal with. Be sure to get a good boost gage, blow off valve and turbo timer. Look at HKS for this. Suspension- try Eiback, H&R for springs. Koni, Bilstein for shocks. Body kit..Just get 325is and E30 M3 peices.

Bill
Old 08-08-2003, 03:40 PM   #4
moregothanshow
All Show No Go!

i would also suggest look in the for sale forum in this site.... there are quite a few E30 parts for sale at the moment, and u can always look at the past posts as not everything always gets sold right away....i think that would help u a lot, seeing this is a friendly community i dont think u will get jacked up shipping prices as most e-bayers do. ppl here just want to get rid of their old stuff, not make a living ripping ppl off on shipping charges....
Old 08-09-2003, 12:27 PM   #5
Adam M
1st Gear Newbie

Right on. Thanks for the imput. I think I will probably go for the turbo set up. Hopefully it will workout for the best.

Adam
Old 08-09-2003, 03:53 PM   #6
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

isnt alaska full of snow/ice? how do u drive a bimmer there???? take some pics of up there

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 04:45 AM   #7
BlackTape
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
isnt alaska full of snow/ice? how do u drive a bimmer there???? take some pics of up there
Im down here in Florida....

Isn't Canada only snow and ice all year long???
BlackTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 11:56 AM   #8
Miguel
...Delt Smash

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackTape
Im down here in Florida....

Isn't Canada only snow and ice all year long???
Isn't Florida only retired people, drive-by's and Ex-Disney employees?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: