Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-28-2003, 10:29 PM   #1
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Question balljoint help

Hey guys, just curious abot a few things, my fender on the front passenger side has been popped out due to the tire rubbing against it. I was told that that would be due to the balljoint so i was just wondering anyone know the price on one of these babies, and is there any specific one i should get (ie. is the M3 one better, and fits a 325?) And the price difference would be great as well,
Thanks guys
Soldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:07 AM   #2
Soldo
6th Gear Member

ANYONE?!?!
guys i really need help on this and ANY help would be REALLY appreciated!
Old 07-29-2003, 07:53 AM   #3
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
bimmersport replaced mine a few months ago, but i forget how much it was

maybe $150 for the driver side? i can't tell u now. just give him a call or pm him. but he might not be online very often
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
T-spec
6th Gear Member

$35 for the front outer, and $45 for the inner
Old 07-29-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
Furious
BMW again.

balljoint is a balljoint, if your gonna upgrade go to something aftermarket, but they are more expensive.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:52 PM   #6
Soldo
6th Gear Member

alright, just got the 2 balljoints from the dealer and it cost me 60 for both, so theres 2 per side?!
Old 07-30-2003, 07:46 AM   #7
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
yes there is an inner and outer on each side. and i remember how much i paid. it was $80 i think installed
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 04:40 PM   #8
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Just wanted to add something. The inner ball joint is a weak point in the E36's suspension. It usually needs replacement much sooner than the outer ball joint (possibly the other way around, I forget). Upgrading to anything aftermarket is very very expensive. I would suggest using stock ones and replacing them more often. It will help if you can manage to replace them yourself, because you will have to do it often in the future. Especially if you track/auto-x your car. Auto-x especially puts lots of stress on the suspension components. The parts from the dealer are relatively cheap. However, it is quite labour intensive if you don't have the right tools.

Another common weak part in the control arm is the inner control arm bushing. It needs replacement usually when the ball joints wear out. You can see if the bushing needs replacement when the rubber looks like it's being pushed out. Anyways, stock E36 bushings are just terrible. I would recommend getting E30 or E36 M3 bushings. They are much stiffer and will last WAY longer. They are $180CDN a pair from the dealer (M3) but well worth it in the long run. I believe stock ones are $60. It may be 3 times the price, but you save the labour costs of having to replace them 3 times.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 07-30-2003 at 04:43 PM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 05:25 PM   #9
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

The inner balljoints are not removable and have to be replaced with the control arm. The outer ones develop play with as low as 20k.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Just wanted to add something. The inner ball joint is a weak point in the E36's suspension. It usually needs replacement much sooner than the outer ball joint (possibly the other way around, I forget). Upgrading to anything aftermarket is very very expensive. I would suggest using stock ones and replacing them more often. It will help if you can manage to replace them yourself, because you will have to do it often in the future. Especially if you track/auto-x your car. Auto-x especially puts lots of stress on the suspension components. The parts from the dealer are relatively cheap. However, it is quite labour intensive if you don't have the right tools.

Another common weak part in the control arm is the inner control arm bushing. It needs replacement usually when the ball joints wear out. You can see if the bushing needs replacement when the rubber looks like it's being pushed out. Anyways, stock E36 bushings are just terrible. I would recommend getting E30 or E36 M3 bushings. They are much stiffer and will last WAY longer. They are $180CDN a pair from the dealer (M3) but well worth it in the long run. I believe stock ones are $60. It may be 3 times the price, but you save the labour costs of having to replace them 3 times.

Bryan

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:40 PM   #10
greekthang
6th Gear Member

When outer ball joints are replaced the next time around that they need to be replaced replace the inner. For every out ball joint you replace every other time you replace the inner
Old 07-30-2003, 08:07 PM   #11
Soldo
6th Gear Member

Thanks you guys for all the help!
much appreciated!
Old 07-31-2003, 01:55 AM   #12
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Ok now I'm confused. Didn't KIRASIR just say that the inner one isn't removeable and must be replaced with a whole new control arm?

Someone please clear this up!

Thanks,

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 07-31-2003, 04:53 AM   #13
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Okay let me repeat that again:

INNER BALLJOINTS MUST BE REPLACED WITH THE CONTROL ARMS. THEY ARE NOT REMOVABLE.

OUTER balljoints are not removable for M3s and have to changed with the control arms as well. For all the OTHER E36(including non //M Z3s) the OUTER balljoints can and should be replaced once in a while.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Ok now I'm confused. Didn't KIRASIR just say that the inner one isn't removeable and must be replaced with a whole new control arm?

Someone please clear this up!

Thanks,

Bryan

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:47 PM   #14
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Okay let me repeat that again:

INNER BALLJOINTS MUST BE REPLACED WITH THE CONTROL ARMS. THEY ARE NOT REMOVABLE.

OUTER balljoints are not removable for M3s and have to changed with the control arms as well. For all the OTHER E36(including non //M Z3s) the OUTER balljoints can and should be replaced once in a while.

SL
Right on! I got confused because people where telling me I need to replace my inner ball joints quite often as well without telling me I had to change the control arm. How often should you change your control arms?

Bry

Old 07-31-2003, 04:43 PM   #15
Furious
BMW again.

to clarify the whole balljoint issue, ive been told that the inners dont go as easy as the outters do, and they can just replace the inner balljoint without having to replace the whole control arm. if you have to replace the whole thing its because its recomended (or maybe its a way to get more money) ive personally seen the inners replaced on both an e30 and e36.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: