Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #1
Mohamed 525i
Blond Eagle
 
Mohamed 525i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: U.A.E - Dubai
Posts: 434
what does Flywheel do

SInce I have e34 model 91 and I've heared about anging the flywheel


What does it do ??

will it give any power since know its work only to start the car and which is the best and fits my car


thanx


Mohamed
__________________


E34 540i Manual
Eibakh Pro Kit | Blistein Shocks | EAT Chip | Racing Dynamics Front Stressbar | Racing Dynamics Swaybar Kit | 850cis Front Brake Kit | Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Brake Rotors All Arround | Hawk Street And Racing Brake Pads |Angel Eyes | 8000k HID Xenon Kit All Arround | Plasma Coils | JB Racing Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel


SOLD!! E38 740il

Searching for E39 M5 .......
Mohamed 525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:00 PM   #2
BMWdreamer
Reverse Gear UBER NEWBIE
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Town
Posts: 47
Well it makes you rev a hell of alot faster, so you go faster quicker. There is no Hp gains, but because you lightened it less force is needed to move it so you accel quicker. There is a major problem with lighten the fly. You could lose drivablity, because you went to light so starts become a nightmare, or you could drive around and warp the damn thing. I just did my clutch on my jetta, I wish I got the fly ligthened because every thing helps on 2.0L 4 cyl. I like the idea of lightening the fly because it reduces loads on engine.
__________________
Project
BMWdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 10:16 AM   #3
Mohamed 525i
Blond Eagle
 
Mohamed 525i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: U.A.E - Dubai
Posts: 434
thanx man,,

so do u suggest me to change it or not


thanx

Mohamed
__________________


E34 540i Manual
Eibakh Pro Kit | Blistein Shocks | EAT Chip | Racing Dynamics Front Stressbar | Racing Dynamics Swaybar Kit | 850cis Front Brake Kit | Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Brake Rotors All Arround | Hawk Street And Racing Brake Pads |Angel Eyes | 8000k HID Xenon Kit All Arround | Plasma Coils | JB Racing Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel


SOLD!! E38 740il

Searching for E39 M5 .......
Mohamed 525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #4
cheffy
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: toronto/waterloo
Posts: 28
you should definitely change it !
but i guess from other's experience, don't go too light. ie. don't get anything lighter than 13 lbs and it won't affect drivability much.
__________________
cheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 02:45 PM   #5
bmwwade
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: surrey bc
Posts: 53
Advantages: revs faster
Disadvantages: harder starting
less torque
noise and vibration ay all engine speed
more expensive than stock.
bmwwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:32 PM   #6
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richmond Hill, Ont
Posts: 4,988
Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
The major disadvantage is that the engine RPM drops very quickly, so it becomes very difficult to maintain a constant speed. This is a plus for racing since your car will slow down faster before you turn. On the streets I find it's just a pain in the ass to drive, especially in a traffic jam situation. Sometimes you may have to rev it up a bit just to keep it from stalling.

The advantage is that the car accelerates much quicker. However, when going uphill the car will loose it's speed very quickly.

Do not get a stock machine lightened flywheel, it will be very weak and most likely crack. If you do not want to compromise driveability then I suggest you just leave the flywheel alone.

Bry
__________________
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 06:11 PM   #7
skillton
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 363
Send a message via ICQ to skillton
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
The major disadvantage is that the engine RPM drops very quickly, so it becomes very difficult to maintain a constant speed. This is a plus for racing since your car will slow down faster before you turn. On the streets I find it's just a pain in the ass to drive, especially in a traffic jam situation. Sometimes you may have to rev it up a bit just to keep it from stalling.

The advantage is that the car accelerates much quicker. However, when going uphill the car will loose it's speed very quickly.

Do not get a stock machine lightened flywheel, it will be very weak and most likely crack. If you do not want to compromise driveability then I suggest you just leave the flywheel alone.

Bry
I have a 9lbs flywheel in my car (89 GTI 16v) and it's not a pain to drive on the streets... i do have to rev it up a bit higher but i can start off @ 1500rpm's, i can even start off without pressing the gas but it takes a while, and i never have to give it any gas not to stall the car, also the car doesn't accelerate much quicker but you can feel a bit of a difference, i can slowly accelerate uphill @ 2000rpm's in 5th without flooring it
__________________

Last edited by skillton; 07-30-2003 at 06:15 PM.
skillton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:58 AM   #8
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richmond Hill, Ont
Posts: 4,988
Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by skillton
I have a 9lbs flywheel in my car (89 GTI 16v) and it's not a pain to drive on the streets... i do have to rev it up a bit higher but i can start off @ 1500rpm's, i can even start off without pressing the gas but it takes a while, and i never have to give it any gas not to stall the car, also the car doesn't accelerate much quicker but you can feel a bit of a difference, i can slowly accelerate uphill @ 2000rpm's in 5th without flooring it
You can start off without pressing the gas? I don't get it. On a stock flywheel that would stall the car, how would having a lighter flywheel make that any different? If anything it would make it easier to stall.

If your car doesn't accelerate any quicker, then the flywheel you bought probably wasn't 9lbs.

Why would you accelerate uphill on 5th gear at 2000RPM? Are you purposely trying to stall the car?

Sorry, but your not making any sense.

Bry
__________________
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.


Last edited by Autotechnica; 07-31-2003 at 01:06 AM.
Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:12 AM   #9
330DTM
Cinematographer
 
330DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: T dot O
Posts: 3,078
Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
You can start off without pressing the gas? I don't get it. On a stock flywheel that would stall the car, how would having a lighter flywheel make that any different? If anything it would make it easier to stall.

If your car doesn't accelerate any quicker, then the flywheel you bought probably wasn't 9lbs.

Why would you accelerate uphill on 5th gear at 2000RPM? Are you purposely trying to stall the car?

Sorry, but your not making any sense.

Bry
The only reason why I would see his car slowly accelerating when he clutches out in first is because his revs at idle are raised by a reprogramed/aftermarket chip. My friend's A4 idles higher than stock therefore if he clutches out but still modulates the clutch, the car will start moving forward. However it is still possible to stall on his car if you clutch out like how you do for normal driving. Done it before.
__________________
-=Slow In Fast Out=-
330DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:42 AM   #10
skillton
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 363
Send a message via ICQ to skillton
Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
You can start off without pressing the gas? I don't get it. On a stock flywheel that would stall the car, how would having a lighter flywheel make that any different? If anything it would make it easier to stall.

If your car doesn't accelerate any quicker, then the flywheel you bought probably wasn't 9lbs.

Why would you accelerate uphill on 5th gear at 2000RPM? Are you purposely trying to stall the car?

Sorry, but your not making any sense.

Bry
i can start off slowly by letting the clutch out slowly, but i'll only accelerate up to like 5-10km/h without giving it gas, if you know your car you can do it with pretty much any car if you have enough low end, and no i'm not purpousely trying to stall the car, i just tried it to test my low end torque, i dont usually do it, i don't do this often and i jus said it to prove a point
And i said my car doesnt accelerate much quicker but i can feel a difference
my stock flywheel is only like 12.5lbs tho so 9lbs wasn't to big of a change change
__________________
skillton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:31 PM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richmond Hill, Ont
Posts: 4,988
Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by skillton
i can start off slowly by letting the clutch out slowly, but i'll only accelerate up to like 5-10km/h without giving it gas, if you know your car you can do it with pretty much any car if you have enough low end, and no i'm not purpousely trying to stall the car, i just tried it to test my low end torque, i dont usually do it, i don't do this often and i jus said it to prove a point
And i said my car doesnt accelerate much quicker but i can feel a difference
my stock flywheel is only like 12.5lbs tho so 9lbs wasn't to big of a change change
I see, but giving advice to someone driving a BMW would be a tototally different story seeing as how the BMW stock flywheel is more than 22lbs. If your flywheel was only 12.5lbs to begin with you probably should have saved your money and kept your stock flywheel, 12.5lbs is quite lightweight.

Bry
__________________
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:50 PM   #12
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor
 
Jon@Bimmersport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 13,770
do u mean starting off the line with the idle RPM..slowly clutching out then adding some gas?? thats what i did and it worked..i dunno if ur talking about the same thing....

bryan is right..stock flywheels are heavy like a bitch..its hard to properly rev match my bro's car compared to when i tried in the egg (light flywheel) when i was learning stick
__________________

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|AFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:44 PM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Richmond Hill, Ont
Posts: 4,988
Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
do u mean starting off the line with the idle RPM..slowly clutching out then adding some gas?? thats what i did and it worked..i dunno if ur talking about the same thing....
I think his idle is a bit higher than normal at around 1500RPM as Mike mentioned it's similar on Nick's Audi. With the higher RPM he can just engauge the flywheel without giving any gas and the car would still go. I think if his idle RPM was any lower the car would probably stall. However, he was saying that his car has enough torque to push it without gas and it wouldn't stall. Something like that I think.

Bry
__________________
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 04:02 PM   #14
330DTM
Cinematographer
 
330DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: T dot O
Posts: 3,078
Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Quote:
Originally posted by E46_lover
do u mean starting off the line with the idle RPM..slowly clutching out then adding some gas?? thats what i did and it worked..i dunno if ur talking about the same thing....

bryan is right..stock flywheels are heavy like a bitch..its hard to properly rev match my bro's car compared to when i tried in the egg (light flywheel) when i was learning stick

No I think he means no adding gas at all.

Just for clarification Nick's car idles slightly higher than stock idle because he has an aftermarket/repgorammed chip.

Tough to rev match? Well you got to give it more gas in that case, that's if your rpms tend to rise after you clutch out from rev matching. Eventually you'll adapt and actually get used to rev matching properly on your brother's car.
__________________
-=Slow In Fast Out=-
330DTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 11:06 PM   #15
nzer
4th Gear Member
 
nzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 674
I can add no gas at all and let the clutch in normal speed and it won't stall, provided its not uphill or anything. My idle is around 1300.
__________________
BMWs Downunder
http://www.bimmersport.co.nz
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.