Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-25-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Dirtyman
2nd Gear Member

Rob dude, whats up!

Those race pads will wear out yer rotors faster do to the compound used that grips the metal harder an how the pad heats up. I'm not a scientist
so I'm not 100% on exactly why!

I have a customer that I applied OBC Green stuff pads for street and track and he's pretty satisfied, only thing is that they're bloody expensive. They're made of Kevlar compound and supposovly don't black dust yer rims! thers OBC red stuff for strickly track use.

...and stainless steel brake lines, to me they help because the don't expand like regular rubber ones. On extreme brakin', when you hammer yer foot on the brake pedal, the rubber line will flex, especially when its hot, and you'll lose applied power and risk a blown hose (than "oh shit" and through the wall). I'v seen some will a huge blister on them, ready to pop!

Make sure yer rotors are to good spec before putting new pads on

Old 03-26-2002, 12:05 AM   #2
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Perhaps it has something to do with you driving like an idiot on city streets....and no, I'm not kidding. 130 kph on Bathurst / Finch....get real.

This is exactly the type of shit that gives the rest of the BMW Club members a bad name....

Grow up Rob.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 12:18 AM   #3
Dirtyman
2nd Gear Member

go for it!

$200 for those brake lines, as long as they are race quality, go for it!
Old 03-26-2002, 12:36 AM   #4
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
ok

Don't worry Bad Karma,this won't happen on Mosport....

btw: I paid $380 of my hard earned money and I wanna see what the limits are of my car. So of course I wanna GO FAST at Mosport...you think I was serious..?

also, I bought an e30 M3.why do you think I bought this KINDA car..to go slow in it?? gimme a break. I have something I love and wanna enjoy it as much as I can,

BEFORE I GROW UP
It has nothing to do with you driving like this at Mosport. Mosport is THE PLACE you should be driving at 130 kph....Bathurst and Finch isn't.

Just because you bought a fast car doesn't mean you should be stupid on city streets; enjoy the car, but do so within some level of reason. Mosport is the place to do this, along with Shannonville, Cayuga et al.

Rob, I saw your car in the shop today; the rear tires on it are past the wear bars, and you're driving around at 130 kph on CITY streets (not even a highway....). Sorry, but that's just an accident waiting to happen.

I lose all respect for people who drive well in excess of DOUBLE the posted speed limit on urban, residential streets. On top of that, they have no formal driver training, are young, and likely have an ego more than twice the size of their driving ability.

Rob, slow down. Enjoy the car at Mosport; you'll learn more in that weekend than you would in 3 years on city streets, and you'll be more humbled by your abilities (or significant lack thereof) than you could ever imagine.

Save the *racing* for the race track. Toronto driver's are bad enough, and several people make right hand turns without signalling, or some kid runs out into the street.

Respect the car, respect the road, and respect the fact that your skills are far inferior to the capabilities of your car. Learn to drive your car better first, and you'll be surprised at how much more you'll appreciate it, and how much speeding on city streets is boring. Once you've learned to be fast on a race track, speeding on city streets becomes passe'.

Pat
Old 03-26-2002, 02:36 AM   #5
M10-Power
1st Gear Newbie

I have to agree

I drive hard on the street, but there is a time and a place for this. Residential areas, busy streets and conjested areas are definately NOT the place. Bad-Karma is bang on the money here, you want to make sure your car is in top shape, don't worry about the best brake pads as you are sure to not make use of them anyhow. As for tires, get something performance that is forgiving not a race compound tire. Full racing pads require alot of heat before they work properly, stick with a full street pad.
Mosport is a very fast track, keep your head or you may lose it.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:08 AM   #6
Furious
BMW again.

well i can see both sides to each story,, (regarding bad-karma and ROB's tiff),, i think moderation is the key here guys,, i couldnt be a hipocrite,, ive driven fast everywhere,, but i know when its a bad time to do it and a really bad-time to do it,, keep the speed for the track,, or at best on a non-crowded highway,, all we need to hear is that one of our fellow BMW members has hit an innocent pedestrian,,,,

On a lighter note,,, ill race anyone on the mosport track,, ive like lived there since i was a kid,,, im only like 10 minutes from the track, and driven it countless times (sure i might lose but hey, i only said id race),,,

oh ya,, ROB i also like the OBC green stuff pads,, there grippy and no brake dust,,
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 10:59 AM   #7
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

There has been a lot of discussion on the Net about SS lines and their pros and cons. Unless your M3 is a DEDICATED TRACK CAR, stay away from them. The only benefit that people refer to when they talk about SS lines is a firmer pedal. This is purely subjective. A complete brake system flush most of the time will result in a firmer brake pedal as well.

Now the cons:

1) There is NO way to tell the condition of your SS lines. Since the inner rubber hoses are covered.

2) The steel lining tends to wear out the inner rubber hoses MUCH faster than OEM rubber lines. Every time you turn, hit a pot hole the steel rubs on rubber. You get the idea.

3) The chances of the brakes failing are much higher with SS lines than with OEM ones. See 2)

So if you have a track car, SS are great, otherwise there is no point of having them.

it's your life.

SL

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:43 PM   #8
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

SS lines don't expand under heavy braking, unlike stock, rubber hoses.

Another factor however, is weather. If you live in an occassionally cold climate (such as Canada...northern US), then there *may* be some issues with SS lines as well.

They don't tend to flex as well as rubber lines, and as such, are potentially more subject to cracking under extremely cold conditions. This is speculative only however; I've yet to see a failed SS line, on the street or on the track.

As to suggestions on brake pads (combo for street and track), then I'd go with Performance Friction Z pads. Essentially a dustless pad, they have good bite, and need minimal warm-up time (unlike PF97s).

However, if anyone is interested in becoming a dedicated track junkie, then I'd suggest running the stock BMW pads (Pagid or whatever) as their *street* pads, and running something more aggressive like the PF97s as a track pad.

There are two major benefits to this. Track only pads tend to be easier on rotors on the track, as you're running them in their desired operating temperature. Both the pads and the rotors tend to last longer under those circumstances.

The second benefit is the idea of having a spare set of pads at the track. If you burn up your track pads, you can always throw on street pads and get back home that way (more of a concern if you drive to the track, and not trailer to the track).

When you get really nuts, you end up with a full set of spare parts (pads, rotors et al) along with you in the truck....

Pat
Old 03-26-2002, 06:29 PM   #9
braindamage
3rd Gear Member

Rob. Just remember race pads or super high performance pads need heat for it to work. On cold days (like this spring weather ), those pads will not work correctly and you will put yourself in danger. Go with a high performance street pads first. At Mosport, have fun and learn how your car handle. Remember, drive with your brain and not with a lead foot!

Stephen
braindamage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 06:02 PM   #10
garand
1st Gear Newbie

Racing brake pads

Dear Rob

Go "original BMW teile"

RS19(endurance) pads part # 34 11 7 748 132, works with your standard M3 (5 series) rotors.

Rasmus
garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 08:09 AM   #11
Neil325sport
1st Gear Newbie

I am using EBC green Stuff pads and they are great, much better than the BMW ones and they aren't that expensive.
I just need to upgrade my Discs now as they are 80% worn
Neil325sport is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: