Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-25-2002, 10:08 PM   #1
MatyBMW
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to MatyBMW Send a message via Yahoo to MatyBMW
Talking Electric Supercharger!! Good or Bad?

Has anyone actually TRIED the electric supercharger.

They claim a money back GAURENTEE for 4-15hp.

www.electricsupercharger.com

Its a fan that is mounted inside a hose that is fitted after your mass air flow sensor but before your K&N.

I hope somebody has some comments on this thing because I am definetly considering it.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:50 PM   #2
Dirtyman
2nd Gear Member

yah right!

that sounds like bullshit to my dude!
for one, the fan motor will get hot after while and increase hot air into the intake ()
yer engine doesn't need that xtra air to lean out the mixture
and theres probably more stuff but I can't think of it right now,
so my point--
Old 03-25-2002, 11:12 PM   #3
MatyBMW
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to MatyBMW Send a message via Yahoo to MatyBMW
Works like a SUPERCHARGER

BUt my point is..

I'm sure they've taken the heat situation into consideration and they have probably done something about that. An engineer isn't going to put out a product like this without putting everything into perspective.

And how does a supercharger work? It runs off your timing belt so the fan spins in proportion to the motor. This works the same way, it has a wiring harness that allows it to spool up in sync with the motor. It runs at 1 PSI which should theoretically give you around 9hp, depending.

I also believe that it will work better with a performance chip. It will make a much better air/fuel mixture and add to the performance.

I think it sounds good until someone can prove other wise.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:07 AM   #4
Gamite

Re: Works like a SUPERCHARGER

Quote:
Originally posted by MatyBMW
BUt my point is..

I'm sure they've taken the heat situation into consideration and they have probably done something about that. An engineer isn't going to put out a product like this without putting everything into perspective.

And how does a supercharger work? It runs off your timing belt so the fan spins in proportion to the motor. This works the same way, it has a wiring harness that allows it to spool up in sync with the motor. It runs at 1 PSI which should theoretically give you around 9hp, depending.

I also believe that it will work better with a performance chip. It will make a much better air/fuel mixture and add to the performance.

I think it sounds good until someone can prove other wise.

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah, but I bet there's more marketing than engineering involved here. U'd figure if it worked really well lots of more people would be using it. Superchargers have to be precisely tuned, I doubt this works.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 03:58 PM   #5
Furious
BMW again.

i wouldnt do it if i were you, sounds like a farce,,,, but on the other hand maybe you should get it,, and give us updates on how its working for ya,,,
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2002, 07:16 PM   #6
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
In theroy it may do a little bit, but isn't it like 200-300 bucks?
screw that

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 04:34 PM   #7
Joel_BMWracer
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Joel_BMWracer
Question

In theory it should work. Just like RAM air induction. But I'm not sure if it is worth the money. I have also seen them for V8's but they are from B&M and large companies that are known for quality.
These are some things you need to look at before spending the money. I am also looking at this type of upgrade :-)

Please let us know if you do get it.

Thanks,
Joel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg your_speed.jpg (21.6 KB, 269 views)
Joel_BMWracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:25 PM   #8
Carlo
2nd Gear Member

hey

Have you looked into this product any further? Sound really cool to me. Let me know, Im interested In the consept.
Carlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 01:52 PM   #9
jacob.325is
2nd Gear Member

Ohhh my, someone put one of those on their M3!
MY opinion, a huge waste of money.
jacob.325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2002, 02:21 PM   #10
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
it's a known scam... avoid it
Old 04-04-2002, 12:15 PM   #11
Carlo
2nd Gear Member

how is it a known scam???

If you can double the amount of air you engine will intake (Increaseing your Volumetric efficiency), In therory you will double it's output power. So weather it be 10 psi, or the 1psi they claim, it should prouduce HP, wright? The only thing that puzzels me is how does it not create a restriction in the intake when its off or not a W.O.T.

Did you know Gas engines are only 10% efficient
and Diesel 15% the other 90-85% is lost through friction heat and other production imperfections...huh

Last edited by Carlo; 04-04-2002 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:05 PM   #12
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
Re: how is it a known scam???

ok, I'll give you credit that I'm jumping to conclusions a little. Do a search, its interesting that there are several places selling this type of product and I can't find one person outside of their websites that can show any gains at all, nobody has any dyno charts showing gains so I really don't think it will help.
I can't help but be sceptial when I've never heard of any cars that are modded and fast using this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlo
If you can double the amount of air you engine will intake (Increaseing your Volumetric efficiency), In therory you will double it's output power. So weather it be 10 psi, or the 1psi they claim, it should prouduce HP, wright? The only thing that puzzels me is how does it not create a restriction in the intake when its off or not a W.O.T.

Did you know Gas engines are only 10% efficient
and Diesel 15% the other 90-85% is lost through friction heat and other production imperfections...huh
Old 04-04-2002, 01:34 PM   #13
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

One of the issues with this electric superchargers is that they draw A LOT OF CURRENT. This puts stress on the alternator robbing you of the power that the "supercharger" makes. So the gains at 1PSI would be VERY marginal, and if you add OBD-II adaptation on top of that, you mostly like won't even see any gains at all. So for $300US or whatever it's totally useless.

SL

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 01:47 PM   #14
Carlo
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
One of the issues with this electric superchargers is that they draw A LOT OF CURRENT. This puts stress on the alternator robbing you of the power that the "supercharger" makes. So the gains at 1PSI would be VERY marginal, and if you add OBD-II adaptation on top of that, you mostly like won't even see any gains at all. So for $300US or whatever it's totally useless
This is a very good point!!!
Old 04-04-2002, 03:29 PM   #15
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

OK.... Here's the scoop....

Lonely TI makes a good point.

I personally know someone with a '97 M3 that has an electric supercharger installed. It does work and you can definately feel the difference. The unit spins up to 30,000rpm and does draw quite a bit of amperage from the alternator. It comes with a ON/OFF switch so you don't always have to run it. It produces 1 psi of boost (good for about 10 to 14hp) but robs the motor of a free flowing intake when it's switched off. You can hear it.... sounds pretty cool. This person I know doesn't live in Canada, so don't ask me anything else about it... this is all I know. I guess it all comes down to cost of the unit. Any way you look at it, 1-psi is 1-psi of boost.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg electric supercharger.jpg (39.0 KB, 208 views)

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: