Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-25-2003, 05:54 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Opinions on stainless steel braided brake lines

I have Earl's (BMP) stainless steel braided brake lines. I didn't get the ones coated in teflon hoses as I thought they were purely cosmetic, I could be mistaken. I've read on a website recently that sometimes dirt can get into the braids causing them to fail. However, on stock E36 brake lines they are coated with a very thick rubber so no dirt can get in. Is this correct?

The SS braided brake lines were originally developed by Nascar. Anything developed for racing cars scares me as the parts are replaced quite often whereas parts for road cars are meant to be installed and then left alone.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
Furious
BMW again.

i think your right on the fact that BMW used a thick rubber to coat them, but SS brake lines are great, i dont personally have them but they are a great upgrade, you shouldnt have to worry about replacing them , i mean your not gonna be runnning the daytona 500 or anything like that, in any event the SS brake lines will significantly reduce hose swelling which will give you a much more precise brake and more reliable.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 06:45 PM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

It's just that I read an article on unofficialbmw's website and someone stated that the SS brake lines were more likely to fail for street use because of the dirt getting into the braids over the stock ones. This is the only reason I've hesistated and haven't installed them yet. I see a lot of track junkies install them on their BMW's. But most of those cars are stored over winter and rarely driven even in the rain. Normally, I wouldn't bother with such a thing. But I hate how mushy the BMW brakes feel. I've heard this is a huge improvement. And the whole 6 peice SS kit goes for around $200. I recommend the BMP (Earl's) SS brake lines for anyone who is looking to get some. They are known to be the best available. Anyone have problems with SS brake lines before?

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 07-25-2003 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:25 PM   #4
moregothanshow
All Show No Go!

turnermotorsports sells them for like 99usd, with like 10usd shipping?!?!....
Old 07-25-2003, 08:27 PM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by moregothanshow
turnermotorsports sells them for like 99usd, with like 10usd shipping?!?!....
Yeah, that's about $200Cdn after shipping, customs, exhange rate.

Bry

Old 07-25-2003, 08:51 PM   #6
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Brian why didnt you get the one that is coated. How much do you have to pay more for the coated one. well if you are worrying about the failing then just get the ones are coated like stock,.
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 09:43 PM   #7
Furious
BMW again.

bryan is there something you can get to keep the dirt out? something that can handle the cold and heat and stay flexable, (i mean you did spend the money) i can check at work and see if i have anything that will work.

mpower1226- did i spot you at Eglinton square a few days back? parked at the food court enterance
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 07:20 PM   #8
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
go to radio shack and pickup some heatshrink tubing, it'll protect the braids, I use it on the SS lines on my bike in certain spots to keep the SS braids from wearing the paint off my bike.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2003, 07:21 PM   #9
moregothanshow
All Show No Go!

now thats fuking brilliant! hahahaha
Old 07-26-2003, 07:28 PM   #10
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Furious325is
bryan is there something you can get to keep the dirt out? something that can handle the cold and heat and stay flexable, (i mean you did spend the money) i can check at work and see if i have anything that will work.

mpower1226- did i spot you at Eglinton square a few days back? parked at the food court enterance
No It wasnt me. I didnt go near eglinton square past few weeks
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:39 PM   #11
MiniMan7
2nd Gear Member

They're great. I won them in a draw believe it or not, and had them installed alittle while ago. The brake pedal feels a million times more responsive. Less work to push the pedal, and an overall great feel.

-Adam
MiniMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:35 PM   #12
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Thanks for the info/opinions guys. I think I'm going to return mine to BMP and reorder them with the teflon coating.

Bry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: