Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How often do you exceed 200km/h
Every time I drive highway, I try 30 13.70%
Occasionally 103 47.03%
Once or twice but never again 53 24.20%
Never/Can't- speed limiter or lack of power 33 15.07%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2003, 07:25 AM   #16
MTECH3
3rd Gear Member

i tried going 210km where the electronic speed limiter kicked in couple of times on 407 before but scared to do it now after getting my first speeding ticket going 84 at a 50 zone ... it actually doesn't feel that fast in a bimmer ... it still feel very stable and secure
Old 07-18-2003, 12:26 PM   #17
Acidblast
3rd Gear Member

i did 240 km/h once in my bro's m3. man i was so scared driving that fast. its crazy you zipping by all the other cars, but one wrong bump and your history.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:01 PM   #18
MiniMan7
2nd Gear Member

One time I was with my brother coming home from Waterloo in my Mini. And he told me that there is never usually cops around this area, so I decided to push it and see how fast I could get my baby up to, keep in mind, it was a long stretch of highway road. I got it up to about 205km/h, then I slowed down immediatly.

It's very true, its scary going those kinda speeds. One wrong move and you're toast.

My brother has gone 220km/h a couple of times in his '01 Golf GTI VR6. He's a bit nuts if you ask me, haha.

-Adam
MiniMan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:14 PM   #19
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
My car can go up to almost 230km/h stock. But why isn't there an option for "It's irresponsible so I don't want to?" My friend's done it in his '94 318 and I did it years ago when I was a stupid punk kid in my '92 318. Never tried it in my '94 318, don't want to either unless I was testing statbility issues or aerodynamics. Other than that, I don't see the point.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:17 PM   #20
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Gone way past 200km/h several times up north, but never above 180km/h on a regular basis. It's just too scary in the city.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:50 PM   #21
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
My car can go up to almost 230km/h stock.

Bryan

You're so full of SHIT! HaHa, man you kill me! a stock M42 318is will never hit 230km/h unless it was being pushed my an M3 downhill, downwind. I've driven them so many times and had a hard enough time passing the 200km/h mark. GET REAL BRYAN! -- i'll put money on it if you want to start something.

ME:

depends on my transportation.... right now --- never (car max's @140km/h)

when i had my Turbo Honda Civic... literally every day on the way to work (nice open stretch)

when i get on my bike.... every single time, guaranteed. It's hard not to since I can hit 200km/h in SECOND GEAR!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --

Last edited by EMPOWERD; 07-18-2003 at 01:54 PM.
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:57 PM   #22
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
You're so full of SHIT! HaHa, man you kill me! a stock M42 318is will never hit 230km/h unless it was being pushed my an M3 downhill, downwind. I've driven them so many times and had a hard enough time passing the 200km/h mark. GET REAL BRYAN! -- i'll put money on it if you want to start something.

ME:

depends on my transportation.... right now --- never (car max's @140km/h)

when i had my Turbo Honda Civic... literally every day on the way to work (nice open stretch)

when i get on my bike.... every single time, guaranteed. It's hard not to since I can hit 200km/h in SECOND GEAR!
Really? Well then maybe it was the wheels that were making the speedo lie. I have pictures of my friend's car hitting 230 on his speedo, and I've hit 220 on the highway in my own '92 318. They were both using stock wheels and stock suspension. I don't BS, I'm just telling you what I witnessed.

It's not that difficult to get them to pass 200, at around 180 it starts to pick up speed very slowly, but it does nonetheless.

And I won't put money on it, because with my current setup I can barely pass 190, but like I said, I could careless really.
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 07-18-2003 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:04 PM   #23
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Really? Well then maybe it was the wheels that were making the speedo lie. I have pictures of my friend's car hitting 230 on his speedo, and I've hit 220 on the highway in my own '92 318. They were both using stock wheels and stock suspension. I don't BS, I'm just telling you what I witnessed.

It's not that difficult to get them to pass 200, at around 180 it starts to pick up speed very slowly, but it does nonetheless.

And I won't put money on it, because with my current setup I can barely pass 190, but like I said, I could careless really.
Here you go Bry... take a good look. You'll notice that a 3400lb car needs at least 190HP (not 136) to get over 215km/h. Speed and power get exponential as the need increases...

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7357/mge36.html

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:08 PM   #24
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by empowerd
Here you go Bry... take a good look. You'll notice that a 3400lb car needs at least 190HP (not 136) to get over 215km/h. Speed and power get exponential as the need increases...

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/7357/mge36.html
Actually, my car is 2800lbs, not 3400, it's an E36, not an E34. But anyways, I guess the speedo lies doesn't it? I'm just telling you that's what the speedo read, whether or not it was the actual speed is a different story.

According to the website, my top speed is 213, it's not too hard to believe I hit 220 is it? It was restricted by drag for sure because I was only at around 5000 some RPM's when I hit 220.

Bry

Old 07-18-2003, 02:13 PM   #25
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
The speedo is so inaccurate at high speeds. I guess the only way to know how fast you're really going is with a radar/laser gun, or a Gtech.

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 07-18-2003, 02:16 PM   #26
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
The speedo is so inaccurate at high speeds. I guess the only way to know how fast you're really going is with a radar/laser gun, or a Gtech.
Well I have a GPS that is quite accurate. Maybe one day I'll test this out.

Bry

Old 07-18-2003, 02:17 PM   #27
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

GPS is also good. My father actually uses GPS in his truck since the speedo. doesn't work

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 07-18-2003, 02:20 PM   #28
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
GPS is also good. My father actually uses GPS in his truck since the speedo. doesn't work
I noticed it seemed to match up with my speedo quite well at lower speeds (under 120km/h), but since I rarely speed on the highway, I have no idea how reliable it is after that speed. It would be interesting to know if it wasn't so dangerous. I'm a pussy Anyone with a 318 want to try this out?

Bry

Old 07-18-2003, 02:25 PM   #29
Mikester
7th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mikester
everytime i get the chance i go the fastest i can (above 200)
but dont get me wrong, im not a crazy driver.. as a matter of fact im careful and aware
if theres some traffic, i wont go fast
otherwise, you better not walk on the highway!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 04:38 PM   #30
SeRb
Don't shrink me Gypsy!

the guy in "Getaway in Stockholm 2" maxes his car to like 320. . .

why dont u idiots try that
SeRb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: