Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-17-2003, 07:46 PM   #1
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
M42 belt install

I managed to snap all but my power steering belts today. Since the alternator/fan belt drives the PS belt, nothing was working anyways. I had to snip the PS belt to install the alternator/fan belt. My question is, how do I installed the PS belt? There doesn't seem to be any screw or bolt to loosen it or move it around. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:02 PM   #2
MP328
Krv Svoju Za Bosnu Moju

Send a message via MSN to MP328
dont know if this helps http://www.logun.org/belt.htm

or look here if there is any more links http://www.geocities.com/e36rulz/DIY.html or here http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36.html
MP328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:06 AM   #3
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Thanks Allen, but didn't really help since the 4 cyl belt configuration is completely different. Thanks anyways.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 07-18-2003, 02:23 AM   #4
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

take it to a mechanic man.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:30 AM   #5
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
take it to a mechanic man.
No thanks, I like to do things on my own. All I have to figure out is how to retract the pully arm and the rest is dummy proof.

Why should I pay $70 for an hour of labour or more when I can do it myself for free? The belts only costed $20 for both of them mind you. Plus I have to change them every 2-3 years anyways, might as well learn how to change them myself.

Bry

Old 07-18-2003, 03:00 AM   #6
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

i change mine atleast once a year.. for the cost of the belts it's worth it!

try and get under the car and pull off the shroud.. your belt setup is different then mine but the PS should be the same. you'll see an arm on the front just below the ps pump.. you need to losen three bolts to ajust the pump correctly.

good luck
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:50 AM   #7
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Ryan,

Thanks for the info, any websites?

Bry

Old 07-18-2003, 05:06 AM   #8
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

yes i do..

this should help
Old 07-18-2003, 01:24 PM   #9
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318
yes i do..

this should help
Hahaha, I'm confused... I only see 1 opening for the belt

Bry

Old 07-18-2003, 02:56 PM   #10
mpower1226
6th Gear Member

there is a easier way to put the belts in without taking it apart.

something called jumping in the belts. When you are putting in the belts put it around the pully and hold it with the screw driver at the end of the other pully, get someone to lighlty start the engine and quickly turn it off..it will instantly spin the pully wichi will make the belt to jump on to the pully..no hassel..make it about less then 10min... I';ve learned it from my mech. smart. huh?

(you are not completly starting the car just up to the point where the pully will be moving and turn it off quickly. so you wont get your partner's hand to be cut off....there are fan blades on the way...hahah)
mpower1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 03:12 PM   #11
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by mpower1226
there is a easier way to put the belts in without taking it apart.

something called jumping in the belts. When you are putting in the belts put it around the pully and hold it with the screw driver at the end of the other pully, get someone to lighlty start the engine and quickly turn it off..it will instantly spin the pully wichi will make the belt to jump on to the pully..no hassel..make it about less then 10min... I';ve learned it from my mech. smart. huh?

(you are not completly starting the car just up to the point where the pully will be moving and turn it off quickly. so you wont get your partner's hand to be cut off....there are fan blades on the way...hahah)
I thought of the very same thing yesterday, but the idea scared the shit out of me. Is this dangerous?

Dave, wanna help me? You can stick your hand in

Bry

Old 07-18-2003, 04:51 PM   #12
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Hahaha, I'm confused... I only see 1 opening for the belt

Bry
no no.. you use the old belt to smack that azz
Old 07-18-2003, 05:45 PM   #13
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Actually, I got mixed up. The center lowest belt is the AC belt (Has all these groved lines) and the one on the right is the power steering belt (has teeth like the Fan/Alternator belt).

I can see the bolt for adjustment for the power steering belt, but I don't see any for the AC belt (Compressor).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (24.8 KB, 101 views)

Old 07-18-2003, 06:33 PM   #14
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

The A/C might have an allen key to adjust it's tension.. look under
Old 07-18-2003, 06:39 PM   #15
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowered318
The A/C might have an allen key to adjust it's tension.. look under
The guy beside me thought I was drawing a picture of a pair of tits.

I guess I have to jack up the front of the car then right? Is there a cover over the bolt I have to loosen? I've heard this is true on the E30, I can't see any sort of bolt anywhere! HELP!!!!!

Still got those ignition wires? I may in interested in them.

Thanks,

Bry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: