Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-30-2003, 12:44 AM   #1
lazyallthumbs
1st Gear Newbie

Question Short story + 2 ques

From the newest of newbies here...

The story:
Got my silver 1993 320i back in '98. It was 5 yrs old and had 65K km on it, A1+ shape...I LOVED it 'cause I'd always wanted a BMW and I finally found the perfect one for my budget at the time. Problem: Now it's 10 yrs old and has 235K km on it and it's showing its age: original rims are chewed to snot, crack on the top of the front bumper from a fender-bender, fog lights held in by duct tape (at least the silver matches!), some rust (no perforations yet), door dimples and scratches and tired, tired paint. BUT - Apart from my lazyness to keep up the cosmetics it's well-maintained and still a solid ride. And I don't really want to spend the time or money looking for a new car.

After talking with a friend from work who spends hours on maxbimmer, I'm thinking (in this order of priority): Rust repair, new paint, new nose w/fogs, rims, rubber, spoiler, springs/lower it so the new feets look good. I'd like to change the color from silver to something else, so he tells me the paint job will need "mad money" to get the insides of the doors and lids painted to match.

What I'd like to do: Dump it at a garage with a cheque for about $4,000 and pick it up a week or so later and say - "That's MY car?! Kewl, I'm in love all over again!". What my buddy says: "Your insane, buy the parts separately yourself and take it to 3 or 4 different guys to get the work done." He doesn't seem to think anybody you trust to paint your car should have any thing to say about the rims and rubber on it. Kinda like choosing a cardiologist when you really need a neurosurgeon....anyways....

The questions:
Is an e36 with this many clicks on it worth the investment? And if so, can anyone recommend a Toronto-area shop that they would trust to take all of this on?

TIA for the help.
lazyallthumbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: