Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-27-2003, 02:12 PM   #1
MatyBMW
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to MatyBMW Send a message via Yahoo to MatyBMW
JBL's sounding like sh*t in an E30??

Has anyone ever had any problems with sound quality when installing speakers in an E30?

I bought top of the line JBL speakers and had them installed in my E30. The speakers sounded great in the store but in my car they sound horrible, mainly because they weren't able to put out good bass without distortion. The tech explained to me that because the BMW speaker mounts are not deep enough, the speakers cannot get enough air to produce good bass.

Does this sound valid? and has anyone had similar experiences?
Old 06-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #2
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
you'll probably need a custom box. I found installing aftermarket subs and woofers in the stock locations usually sounded bad. (with the exception of the footwell woofer...you CAN make it sound pretty decent)
I'm no speaker expert, but try facing your subs towards the trunk, and fold down the rear seat, or cut port holes that lead into the cabin area. This way the bass frequency waves will hit the back trunk, turn around, and flow into the cabin, thus creating a longer wave, and deeper, louder bass.
If you face them into the cabin, it creates a shorter wave length, and thus creating less bass.
You can also creat ports that use tubes and twist and turn within the trunk to '''tune'' the bass sound you want.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 06-27-2003 at 02:49 PM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
mike 91 318ic
1st Gear Newbie

No offense but JBL's are not what they used to be... If you can "I" would return them... I have a set of Infinity Kappa components up front in my cabrio powered by a RF punch 300X amp and they sound GREAT. lots' of mid bass and crystal clear sound and they're LOUD. I also have two DVC 10" RF subs in a custom box powered by a RF 351s amp. The front stock speaker were re-located in the rear (for fill). This system is amazing for the little amount of money I spent...

Do you have an amp powering the JBL's? If you don't that could be your problem. the oem amp is a pos... and HU power isn't enough to reproduce bass.
mike 91 318ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #4
MatyBMW
4th Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to MatyBMW Send a message via Yahoo to MatyBMW
Mike,

I don't have an amp powering the front and rear speakers.. They are running on off a 180$ Aiwa deck, I also thought this could be the problem.

So what now? Grab a 2 channel amp and use it for the speakers and the sub which i will put in later?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:09 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Best thing to do, is buy ur subs now. Then when u install them you can turn down the bass on everything inside, which will make them sound much better.

That is the option i recommend. But you can also, buy a 4 channel which you could used to power the fronts and the subs, i dont recommend this bcus your subs are gonna need abit more power than your front components.

Or you can use this 4channel amp to power then front and rear speakers which would make more sense. And if you still wanted subs, you can add a x-over plus an amp and you should have a really good sounding system if you buy good stuff.

The reason i recommend adding the subs is bcus you can always add an amp later when you feel like, but if you are happy with the sound you save yourself a bit of money. All i have is a really good 10' sub in a bandpass box, and i capped the factory speakers(upgraded stereo in my E30) And i suprize alot of ppl. They think i have alot more in it.
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2003, 11:10 PM   #6
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

capped the factory speakers? explain
Old 06-27-2003, 11:33 PM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Basically, i solidered a capacitor to the power wire going to the speaker. What it does is add resistance going to the speaker only certain freqences can pass thru, i donno what the specs are, but different ohm's resistors do differenent things they also take out all the bass going to the speaker

If you look at a 2-way speaker(most speakers with a tiny tweeter in the center will have it) you will see a very small cyclinder shaped object, this is the cap(aka capacitor), going from the + terminal to the tweeter on top of the speaker, this is why no bass comes out of the small tweeter part and it produces the high pitched sounds.

An uncle of mine used to hook up high end systems, he knows alot and tought me all i know. He took these caps out of an old alarm clock, he knew by the numbers which ones would work for wha i wanted it to. I cant remember what they say on them but i can check, i believe these can be found in some stereo stores, mind you they charge like 10bucks for two(Best Buy) and some places i went to didnt have a clue what i was talkin about..........one guy almost made me buy a eq, when i explained this to him, lol.

Trev
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 01:06 AM   #8
BMW BMXer
Wants a 350 Blazer.

Send a message via ICQ to BMW BMXer Send a message via AIM to BMW BMXer Send a message via MSN to BMW BMXer Send a message via Yahoo to BMW BMXer
The caps are sometimes called bass blockers.

Stanceiseverything.com
BMW BMXer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 09:05 PM   #9
Albertae30
3rd Gear Member

hat i am doing is i am running my front 6.5 clarions and my 6.5 rear alpine s series off of my deck cause it is a 200 watt deck. Then i am buying a one channel amp to run my two ten inch RF subs that will be in a custom box that is replacing the back seat like this pic below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg backseat.jpg (31.1 KB, 55 views)
Albertae30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: