Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Supporting Events > Maxbimmer & Supporting Events
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-06-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Arrow Spring Cruise 2017 - Sunday May 28th

Date: Sunday May 28th
Time: 9:00am meet, 9:15am meeting (vital, don't be late), 9:30am departure
Location: Kennedy Commons, 26 William Kitchen Rd, Scarborough, ON M1P 5B7
Parking Lot: Empty section between Asian grocery store and Cafe Mirage

Let's do this! I ran most of the route this past Sunday and it was fantastic. Temps were 10-15 all day up there, but it was so early into the season that literally everything except the road was still snow-capped. Every lake still solid ice. Yet the roads were dry and my summer rubber quite happy. What an experience. As usual in the Spring, our route will take us though some beautiful and quiet pockets of the Kawarthas region. North-East is the travel direction.

As the "let's talk" thread indicated, I'm trying hard to make these events better. Changes:
- Zero tolerance for dangerous driving, including all passing on solid lines.
- A direct Google Maps link for the entire route will be shared. Just click Navigate and follow.
- A paper printout of the route will also be available
- Formalized seniority: 5+ years experience on maX cruises, front of the pack. 1-5 years, middle pack. First event in 16/17? Back of the pack. Zero flexibility here.
- New app support - Zello & Pathshare. Zello is used for group chatting, and Pathshare lets us see where each cruise participant is on a map. maXbimmer rooms will be set up in each. Download them now.

In addition, I have some general advice to share:
- Bring water and snacks. It's a long, long drive. 500-600km estimated round trip.
- Pack a phone charger. The battery will take a beating using these apps and navigating with it all day.
- Dress for the weather.
- Fill your gas tank PRIOR to arriving. I will not allow any time for you to "just be right back". There will be a gas stop along the route. I haven't set which one exactly, but priority goes to Petro 94 locations because we "can" all run the stuff. I prefer Shell 91 but some of you are running more timing than Big Ben.
- Leave no witnesses. By this I mean, don't drive in any manner that garners attention when there is general public around. Over half of the route will put us in desolate areas with no one around - save your aggression for then. Multi-lane highways with SUVs full of kids are NOT the place for it.
- If you're being tailgated, drop your pride. Either you're falling behind the pace of those in front of you, or the person behind you is a jackass. Either way, point them by as soon as it is safe. If they want to, let them go. And then at the next stop go on Zello and tell everyone who the jerk was.
- On that note, point-by passing. Just like the track. This is allowed on solid lines as long as there is clear permission given from the car in front. Also, don't start speeding up once you let them cross over. Use your brain.
- Fast cars and slow drivers. Cornering speeds can get very high for the more experienced drivers. This doesn't mean you need to match their speed, or let them push you too fast. It also doesn't mean you can use a power advantage to "stay ahead" of the faster cornering car. Whether you're holding up the person behind you on a straight or a corner, either is wrong. Point them by and enjoy your own pace.

There will be a group lunch stop, then a snack/gas/stretch stop before we jump back on the freeway and head our own ways at the end.

Some pics from Sunday:

Thanks for scrolling and see you in a month!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Hei Jay!

Sounds awesome and looking forward to it.

For any of us that are further north, will the lunch stop be in deleted again? Hoping to meet you fine folks further north to save some drive time and distance.

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."

Last edited by estoguy; 04-07-2017 at 09:22 AM.
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #3
Mystikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoguy View Post
Hei Jay!

Sounds awesome and looking forward to it.

For any of us that are further north, will the lunch stop be in deleted again? Hoping to meet you fine folks further north to save some drive time and distance.
I haven't set the lunch destination in stone yet, but it will obviously be north of the city. Those that want to skip the morning will need to PM me closer to the cruise date.

I also removed the town name from your reply. In light of recent OPP harassment, let's not give out any such specific info on the public forum, especially of the spot where we will be staying at the longest. Low-key is best key.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #4
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

I'll message you closer to the date then. And no worries about editing the post. Don't need any heat on the cruise.

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Old 04-07-2017, 11:18 AM   #5
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

Cant wait!!

I will use masking tape on my back window and make a decal: 5+

Last edited by v_bimmer; 04-07-2017 at 11:29 AM.
v_bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
perryman
2nd Gear Member

This is the most well organised cruise to date. Love that you took in pretty well all the suggestions!

I think the seniority ranking is one of the best things you could have implemented, even if it puts me in the middle pack.

Past
2002 WRX Stage (?) - Sedona Red Pearl - SOLD
perryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #7
xander_g
Personal Injury Law

Awesome!

Reasonable set of rules too
xander_g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
miylive
E38 - Drive the Dream..

hope to be there...really looking forward to this one as I've missed a few over the years... will be a good meet up and catch up too Hi To all! sorry i've ben missing lol..

Lead me to the Autobahn......
miylive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #9
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Are the apps ready to go now?

Old 04-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #10
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Downloaded Zello. Just need a group chat to link up to. Get to know some of the people I have yet to meet in person.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #11
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

I downloaded the apps as well. On Zello, same handle as here, Estoguy.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:36 AM   #12
The-Traveler
3rd Gear Member

Are we stopping for food at the end as usual? I've missed the last two years.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #13
Mystikal

Going to address this before the questions start:

If the daytime high temperature is below 10C AND it's raining, I will be forced to postpone the cruise. Date uncertain at this point, will be booked if necessary. I will keep watching the forecast and make a firm decision by Saturday morning.

Food is lunch only, near the beginning of the day. We will be back home before dinnertime.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #14
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Will that be based on the temp and weather in Toronto or more into the cruise route?

I just checked my local weather forecast for Orillia and Toronto on the Weather Channel page... it's looking iffy how I see it. 70-80% POP and temp 6 degrees in Orillia and 9 in the city.

Sad face.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #15
Mystikal

The cruise route. It's downright dangerous to be taking powerful RWD cars on summer tires up north on cold and wet roads, IMO. If we have to postpone, we will. Not going to risk preventable incidents.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: