Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 AM   #1
BEARD.
1st Gear Newbie

328i O2 sensor wire extension-advice needed

So, I have a bit of a situation on my hands here, and need some advice if anyone is willing to offer some-

The car is a 1999 E46 328i sedan that came with headers (not sure of brand, if there even is one), high flow cats, and full exhaust back to a magnaflow muffler.

My issue is that I need to get my e-test done but the check engine light is on, due to the post cat O2 sensors not being installed. The bungs for the sensors on the headers are quite long; one of the mechanics I used to work with called them "cheaters" because they apparently compensate for the added flow of the headers so that the sensors don't get tripped. Not sure how much of that is true, but I don't seem to be getting any codes from them. The problem is: for whatever reason, the two bungs that should be behind the cats, are only a few inches down from the pre cat sensors and are pointing straight at the firewall making installation of sensors impossible. I took the car into Pronto in town (foolishly) to get the bungs relocated to either the other, more accessible side of the headers or get them relocated to behind the cats. I would have done this myself had my welder not taken a crap on me.

Buddy at Pronto decided to put them behind the cats, which I agreed with so he welded some regular bungs (not the so called "cheaters") on either side after the cats. The problem now is, the cats are located much further downstream and now the wires are not long enough to reach the sensor- regardless of the fact that the wires are fully extended and ran down the transmission tunnel now. Pronto refused to extend even the wires coming from the Bosch sensors, claiming the wires are made of stainless steel and he can't solder anything in because it would impede the readings from the sensor, nor can he get that wire or anything. From what I can gather thats true, minus him not being able to do anything with it at all.

Either way I still need to extend the wires nearly 2 ft. I have been trying to find stainless steel wire in 18 gauge and some sort of connector that will work best. I have looked into Bosch Posi-Lock connectors of the grey (high heat) variety but cannot find anywhere that carries them. I was simply going to chop, extend and shrink seal the connectors in, but cannot find he materials that I need.

I am wondering if anyone knows where to find the wire and connectors or can offer a better way of fixing this issue. If anything, recommendations of a good shop that would do this in the Markham area would be greatly appreciated.
BEARD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Plug the 2 downstream bungs and forget about them.

You don't need post-cat O2 sensors to even be installed:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161872

Learn to code your car, and a world of possibilities opens up.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

ac_2007 what software do you use to code your car? Know any good install guides to set it up? And what connector/hardware?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #4
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Take a look at the thread I posted above.

WinKPF is the program used to flash the DME, and it's part of the BMW Standard Tools suite.

Cable needed is VAGCOM OBD2 to USB. There are countless packages on eBay with both cable & software. The most difficult part is setting it up, but all the information needed is already posted on forums.

My "guide" is posted on this page of that thread:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...=898241&page=3

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: