Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #1
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

For those with motorcycles

So for the past couple summers I have been hoping to get in to the motor bike world. Due to various circumstances, it just wasn't meant to be. But this year should be the year. I have never actually driven a motorcycle myself, but have always just loved them. I would pretty much be starting from scratch.

Now the questions I have for all of you who have bikes would be what are your recommendations on how to do anything and everything? I know it is a graduated license; M1, M2 and then full M and that it is a pretty quick process as in after getting your M1 you need to get your M2 fairly quickly. So since I have never been on a bike or owned one, what would anyone recommend I do? Get my M1, buy a bike and learn or I also know Humber has courses where they teach you and all that which cost something like $500 and I think at the end of the course they just give you your M2 (not completely sure on that, but I know its something along those lines). Plus with Humber I think they supply the bikes for the course.

Also, what recommendations would those experienced riders have for initial bikes. I'm not looking to break the bank on anything ridiculous since it's only a summer toy, but do I go big with my first bike and buy something that I will more than likely keep for the long run. Or buy a "beginner" bike that I upgrade from after a summer?

Really, any insight would be greatly appreciated! Oh, and I am mostly looking to get in to a sport bike if anyone was wondering.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
get your m1, do the course (aka get your m2) and then buy the bike.

state farm will almost certainly be cheapest for insurance

i ignored the advice of all my friends and bought a small (300cc) sport bike. i'm very happy i did, and although i probably wont keep it for longer than a season it is way more comfortable to learn on than a bigger bike. Having said that people do buy 600cc sportbikes to learn on regularly.

most people will recommend bikes like the new ninja 300, older cbr/ninja 250 & 500's, and the suzuki sv650. (i'm assuming you want a sport bike)

FYI insurance on small bikes is much cheaper, this is my first year riding and my insurance is 900/year full coverage.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black

Last edited by propr'one; 07-13-2014 at 07:47 PM.
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
get your m1, do the course (aka get your m2) and then buy the bike.

state farm will almost certainly be cheapest for insurance
State farm may or may not be the cheapest depending on the bike. Other insurance companies look at the type of bike so if you wanted an R6 you would be paying a lot unless you go with state farm that goes by the CC's. If you wanted a Harley or touring bike I would shop around before going with State Farm.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

that's exactly right^^

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 07-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
gec
2nd Gear Member

I learned how to ride on dirt bikes & the guy I rode with was a x moto cross racer, told me to wear a good helmet and pads and if you don't wipe out at least once a day your not trying hard enough. Learning to slide a bike off road I think was invaluable info for riding on the street, I have yet to drop a street bike in 30+ years "touch wood"...just keep a good eye out for the crazy car drivers.
gec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Cool. Thanks for the input so far guys!

I was thinking of probably going with something around the 500 CC and above range for my first bike. I just feel like buying a smaller one for a season is just a waste when I'm going to upgrade.

I have yet to look in to insurance, but currently my car is insured through a subsidiary of TD which gives me a great rate on my car, but I have no idea about a bike. After getting in touch with my insurance and getting their rates, State Farm will be my first call to compare.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate it!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
Seyar
4th Gear Member

First before you do anything call statefarm with a few different bike options and get a quote. And then like mentioned before, get your m1, do the course (really suggest this.. you'll learn a lot) then go out looking for a bike and make sure you get proper gear (gloves, good helmet, jacket, shoes etc..)

I know everyone gets sick of smaller cc bikes really fast but honestly you become a better rider starting out with a smaller bike. For instance If you start off a 600cc bike, you probably won't be comfortable taking corners like you would be on a 250 or 300cc bike.

INTERLAGOS E36
Seyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #8
propr'one
op sucks cock

^^i agree.

i listed my 300 today for what i paid for it and already have some people interested. if i were to do it again i'd definitely get a small bike first, its easier to ride so you learn faster and push yourself harder.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #9
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

Sounds like your on the right track. I was in the same position you were in 5yrs ago.
1) get your M1
2) book your M2 exit course before your M1 expires
I enrolled at humber. Great weekend course. Experienced instructors and they have nice 250cc CBR's to use. I didn't know anything about bikes either, but after taking this course it helped build confidence. FYI if you can drive manual transmission, you will have not problems.
Once you pass your M2, your good for a couple of years before it expires.
If you know you'll be riding for years, there is no reason to jump to a 600cc right away. I strongly would consider getting a used starter bike. I had a ninja 250 which was good enough to boot around a manage on the HWYS. I think Kawi's now have 300cc and 400cc if you think 250cc is too small. Insurance on a 250 is a joke. I was paying $67 full coverage. But be ready to get slapped in the face when you buy a 600cc+

PS don't cheap-out on riding gear.
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:11 AM   #10
Sunny87
2nd Gear Member

Start on a small bike and then sell it when you're done with it. You'll lose next to nothing on it, most likely even sell it for what you bought it for if you shopped wisely.
Sunny87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysantic View Post
Cool. Thanks for the input so far guys!

I was thinking of probably going with something around the 500 CC and above range for my first bike. I just feel like buying a smaller one for a season is just a waste when I'm going to upgrade.

I have yet to look in to insurance, but currently my car is insured through a subsidiary of TD which gives me a great rate on my car, but I have no idea about a bike. After getting in touch with my insurance and getting their rates, State Farm will be my first call to compare.

If anyone has any other suggestions I'd appreciate it!
Suzuki Sv650 is a nice looking yet very forgiving bike. Good starter in the higher ranges

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
bmdbley'sBro
wouldu like some tinfoil?

ride like everyones trying to kill you, because they are
Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
Doe-Moe
1st Gear Newbie

+1 ^^ LOL i drive my car like that now! dont trust no one, expect the worst and hope for the best
Doe-Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

i just made a deal for my 300 for 200$ less than i paid for it two months ago, with 2000km more mileage.

it took 1 day, first person to come see it bought it.

i highly recommend getting comfortable on a smaller bike first

Old 07-17-2014, 03:42 PM   #15
mudmojo
2nd Gear Member

Determine your max budget.
Factor in the cost of proper riding gear from that budget. It adds up!

Try different bikes but definitely start small.
Torquey bikes can sometimes catch you off guard in lockup/wheelspin scenarios so a relatively gutless engine can help. Having said that, a 600 supersport is torque challenged at low revs so if you short shift and have lots of self-control, it can be a beginner bike in a way.
Bigger bikes will cost you more in insurance, gas, tires, etc.
Ride invisible.
Always learn new skills.

There is also the possibility that you might not like riding at all so if it'll be easier if you didn't drop a ton of money into it.

E39 M5
mudmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: