Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-13-2002, 02:11 PM   #1
Joel_BMWracer
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Joel_BMWracer
Question Upgrades

I have a '87 325e that I have done a few things too.
I have put a K&N cone filter, 2 1/2" exhaust with a free flow cat & muffler, and changed the rear gears from 2.93 to 3.73 lsd. I am going to put a chip in it later. I was looking at BMP design's chips.

Is there any other bolt on upgrades to get more power that are still kind of cheep?
I was thinking about a cam, but then I found out you have to pull the head to do that. If I'm going to pull the head I'll do more than just a cam.

Is there a (power) pulley setup, like the ones you can get for a V8?

Any help would be great. I don't want to have to get an 325i and change all my suspension over. THATS WORK LOL

Thanks again,

Joel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turn 6 sp.jpg (47.0 KB, 215 views)
Joel_BMWracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2002, 12:17 AM   #2
elmo908
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via AIM to elmo908
well i was thinking about it, maybe upgrading radiator size. that usually helps just a little. i think there's not too much to do a a bimmer of that year, and it sounds like you have done most of what is available. just look around, i wouldn't call this bolt on but you could buy a lightened flywheel and heavier duty clutch. that always helps you take off and accelerate quicker. that's all i can really think of. btw, check out dinans ecu chips too, i hear good things about them.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:11 PM   #3
Joel_BMWracer
1st Gear Newbie

What are those engines out of? I'm not good on the engine codes yet LOL My friend has a wrecked 528 with a 3.5L (i think), will that bolt in? or will I have to do lots of mods?
I do use this car as a daily driver too. So I don't want to make it a FULL racer .... YET lol

However, I was thinking about a turbo or an electric supercharger just for a little extra when I need it. http://www.electricsupercharger.com/ This looks kind of cool and not too expensive.

I am planning on doing some more bolt on's like a flywheel and a chip. I was waiting until I need a clutch before I do the flywheel (and the way I drive that wont be too long).

On the Full racer... I have a 85 e30 318. I have everything to build it. I am going to do up the block, knife edge & balance the crank, polish the rods, extrude hone the head and intake and put a while cam in it. I AM going to turbo charge that one. I want some serious rev's out of it. Due to the size of the engine, even with the turbo it will still put me in a class where I can be competitive. But I haven't started on that project yet. So it may become a 87 325e LOL

Also.. On the Dinan chips. I haven't read much on them. I know the BMP one give's 24hp and 18ft of torque. On their test on a 87 325e automatic, the 0-80mph time was reduced by 4 seconds. With my gear changes and being a stick... I think it would spank more lightly modified 325i's....? Not sure though.

Please let me know any thoughts you have on that..

Thanks,
Joel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg turn 2 sp.jpg (49.2 KB, 167 views)
Old 03-14-2002, 06:07 PM   #4
theblue
old school US member.

Send a message via AIM to theblue
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel_BMWracer
an electric supercharger just for a little extra when I need it. http://www.electricsupercharger.com/ This looks kind of cool and not too expensive.
they don't work.. complete junk....

you really are and the end of simple mods...
Old 03-14-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
Schnell
2nd Gear Member

If the 528 you speak of is a 528e from the mid- eighties it has the same 2.7 liter engine in your 325e, however if it is from a 528i from the nineties then it is a completely different engine. It is possible to swap engines, but it is definitely not a "bolt-on" mod. The main limitation with your engine is its weak crankshaft that only allows it to rev to 4500 rpm or so before it grenades, unfortunately you have already done all the easy stuff.
Stereo
F@$%ing Automatic 4-speed
Schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 03:51 AM   #6
ThE bRoWn GuY
2nd Gear Member

With an m50 you u will be more than reliable!! For mods on the 'e'... i've done most of them, and basically they are a waste of time! Obviously depending on what you want! As you have stated, you will be making the 318 your racecar... so just save your money and put it into that!

ps.. dont you find yourself shifting REALLY quick with your new gear?

later
ThE bRoWn GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2002, 11:52 AM   #7
Joel_BMWracer
1st Gear Newbie

Talking

lol... yes shifting VERY quickly. Shift so much it feels like tennis elbow sometimes.

The rev limiter is just over 4500rpms..I shift just shy of that. So, on a good size intersection I will be in 3rd by the time I'm across it. LOL So from 0-50 is very fast... from 50-60 and then on up is where its kind of slow compared to a 325i. It will hang with a stock 325i up to about 70mph thats when that extra hp pulls out away from me.

With my new gearing, I can be in 5th at about 40mph if I want to. And I can take it up to just at 116mph @ 5000rpm (seems to rev a little higher in 5th). That makes it fun to mess with the Honda's around my home town. I don't have to down shift to play with them.

Its fun to drive. Its not as quick as I would like, but for a daily driver I'll live with it. It handles amazing with some Yokohama A032R tires on it..........I can out corner most.

Thanks for all the help.

So I guess I will be looking for a 325i or a M3. Or I'll see what I can get done on the 318. I'll probably be posting some new pics with it wraped around a telephone poll or of it rolled into a ditch one of these days LOL But until then I'll keep the pedal on the floor. "Death is gods way of saying slow down, Until then..NO FEAR"
Old 03-17-2002, 07:49 PM   #8
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

I don't know if you already have it, but a short shifter
will be a good mod....
I have the same mods on my 325e, plus a chip,
fuel regulator, short shift and a 3.91 non LSD...that
combination works good for now...
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!

Last edited by Eurostyle; 03-17-2002 at 07:54 PM.
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 02:15 PM   #9
328power
GAS GUZZLER !!

what 0-60 / 1/4 mile time you guy run ?????

s.p

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: