Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #16
rmanaudio
3rd Gear Member

Then that is not consumption. If you are not burning it, then it can be fixed. BMW engines burn oil. Some more than others. There is a reason why BMW gives you a bottle to carry in the trunk for when the yellow oil light comes on.
rmanaudio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:34 PM   #17
6appeal
3rd Gear Member

I actually burn about a quart every 1000-1200kms. That sounds very excessive compared to what you guys are reporting. My car did have an "oil bomb" a few winters ago and I replaced the CCV with the updated version, replaced spark plugs, replaced VCG. I had Rocco do my VANOS seals with the Beisan kit as well and I change my oil every 5-7500kms with BMW 5W-30 Synthetic. I don't have any leaks that can be the cause of this much oil loss. Any thoughts?
6appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #18
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6appeal View Post
I actually burn about a quart every 1000-1200kms. That sounds very excessive compared to what you guys are reporting. My car did have an "oil bomb" a few winters ago and I replaced the CCV with the updated version, replaced spark plugs, replaced VCG. I had Rocco do my VANOS seals with the Beisan kit as well and I change my oil every 5-7500kms with BMW 5W-30 Synthetic. I don't have any leaks that can be the cause of this much oil loss. Any thoughts?
No leak at oil filter housing?
Valve stem seals are common, but too much of a pain to replace.
You could use a heavier oil like Shell Rotella T 5w40 synthetic. Works for me and got rid of lifter ticking too.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #19
rmanaudio
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6appeal View Post
Stop worrying about it and start driving it. Life is too short to worry about stuff like this. Your burning rate is still within BMW specs. Just make sure you always check your oil. Do not run the engine when oil is low (yellow oil light is on), you will blow the bottom end of your engine off.
rmanaudio is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: