Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Murph328xi
1st Gear Newbie

2011 328Xi Sedan Idle/Surging Concerns

Hi All, I searched the forum and dont see anyone who has brought this up.. Hope its not a duplication.. Im new to the forum and hope someone can help with an issue i have been having for the past year or so off and on. Upon cold start, the Car will not idle properly and will actually lurch forward or backwards when put into gear. Its really very concerning as if you're not careful you could literally drive of back into something or heaven forbid, someone. It will lurch several feet if you're not careful.The dealer has had it in several times, and has been in touch with BMW Canada, they tell me that know of the issue as other have the same thing but after a software update and several "adjustments" they tell me theres nothing more they can do. I keep checking with them but to no avail. BMW Canada has also called me directly and the only suggestion they had was that i should start and immediately stop the vehicle which does something to the Catalytic converters, preheating them maybe? Either way, its a danagerous siuation with no apparent fix.. Makes my wife concerned that she will have a mishap..Has anyone else seen this type of issue? What did you do to fix it?

Last edited by Murph328xi; 05-21-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Murph328xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Pierce330
2nd Gear Member

Take it to the dealership, you do have warranty left....
E90 328i Xdrive (Current)
Pierce330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
Murph328xi
1st Gear Newbie

It has been to the dealer several times.. They cant find/fix the issue
Old 05-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
damameke
6th Gear Member

'If you are not careful,the car will lurch several feet'
and BMW Csnada said they cant do anything I would escalate
as high to the President for I wouldn't let my wife drive with this issue

What if you are right,that it lurched n hit someone
Do you want to bear that responsibity?
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #5
Murph328xi
1st Gear Newbie

understood.. I have already advised BMW Canada, etc.. But wondering if anyone else has had this issue/concern.. I love the car but need to get this fixed
Old 05-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
1bmw1
3rd Gear Member

What exactly do you mean when you say it can "lurch" forward or backward when in gear? So when you press the break, and put it in "D", it can go backwards several feet? OR when you put it in "D" it will go forward a few feet and when put into "R" it will then go backwards? Kind of an interesting situation, and i'm trying to rule some things out.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #7
Murph328xi
1st Gear Newbie

When you start the car, and release the brakes when putting it in gear during the normal course of driving.... It will almost stall and "catch" and then lurch forward or backwards, depending of course if the car is in Drive or reverse.. So for example, start the car in the am to go to work, upon start, very rough idle.. Put it in gear and then get that condition.. almost as if you would apply the accelerator and very quickly release..It is bad enough that i make sure the garage door is open before beginning to back up.. Just in case..
Old 05-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
jabela
4th Gear Member

Don't you have the brakes on when you shift into gear?

All cars will try to move when you shift into gear. That's why you're required to hold the brakes when you do.
On first startup, the idle is high to warm the cats, so there's extra engine power trying to move the car when you put it in gear. As opposed to when the engine is warmed up and down to a low idle.

If you're holding the brakes tightly when you shift, the car would lurch/shift a little bit as it loads up the suspension. If you're holding the brakes lightly, it may actually move.

How well are your brakes working?

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
Murph328xi
1st Gear Newbie

yes, Brakes are on.. and work just fine. This isnt a normal condition from any previous car.. Audi, mustangs,etc that ive owned recently were much more powerful and not exhibited this type of aggressive behavior.No car ive ever owned has done this. This isnt just a high RPM, its fluctuating up and down and when you shift, i feel it compensates for the poor idling and applies additional power/idle speed as you want to move, which then creates that lurching/jumping condition.. Once the car is warm its fine.. Until you take it to go home after sitting for the day.. same thing..
Another thing- A guys 2 doors away has the same car, his sounds and operates normally, Mine doesn't- Totally different sound until it warms up- His is smoothe as silk while mine is bucking and skipping.. this in not a normal condition.

Last edited by Murph328xi; 05-22-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

Does the idle surge when you're in neutral / park?
Old 05-22-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
Murph328xi
1st Gear Newbie

Yes.. at all times when cold.. if left to idle, takes quite some time before it smoothens out.. Before it does, you can see the tach fluctuating
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

It sounds like idle surge then. I can see how that would cause some strange driving characteristics in an automatic car.

Since you're not having much luck with your dealer, I think you should re-focus on getting the surge fixed at idle and separate the issue from the lurching while driving. Seems like fixing whatever is causing the bad idle will fix the driving problems.

There are lots of reasons a car might surge, vacuum leaks, throttle body plate can't close, idle control solenoid is stuck or dead, etc. Googling around I do see other threads on e90 forums with people running into and fixing idle surge. But really that shouldn't be your problem, go back to the dealer and get them to work through the flow chart in their repair manual Call everyone several times a day and don't let them off the hook until it's fixed.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #13
Murph328xi
1st Gear Newbie

i agree, one is causing the other i would think.. Very frustrating.. I will try that approach and be more persistent i guess.. Hopefully will help.. However if anyone can shed some additional light, please do so!!
They did offer me a good deal on a new car. Hardly solving my issue though
Old 05-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

BTW, next time it happens put the car in park or neutral and take not of how high / low the revs on the tach are going. i.e. is it at 800 on the low end, and surging up to 1500 rpm on the high end?
Old 05-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #15
Murph328xi
1st Gear Newbie

ok, will do that and advise

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: