Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
m5racer
1st Gear Newbie

Custom PROPER High-Flow Cat build in and around Toronto?

Hey Guys,

Been a little while since I posted here, but I had a question and was hoping some of you guys would be able to help a brother out.

So long story short, I looking for recommendations on where I can get a PROPER high-flow catalytic made for my 01 M5. 2 years ago the car fowled out the OEM cats (a known issue for some e39 M5's). We ran the car for 1.5 years with test pipes, but the exhaust stank so badly (would fill the car if the wind was blowing from back to front) that when it came time for our e-test we decided to put cats back in. under desperation and a total lack of knowledge regarding where to go I took the car over to hot rod Scots (Toronto muffler) and was assured that the generic 'high flow' cats they were installing would be able to handle the hp of the car + pass e-test....rest assured, it was not a true High-flow cat, but just a generic run of the mill 'high flow' converted (I have a 300 cell 034 cat in my A4....now that's a real High-flow cat, and exactly what I'm looking for for my m5). Fast forward 2 yeas to the present day and the apparent 'high flow' cats that Scots installed are now also plugged (the car has no power, and the engine has actually gone into limp mode on the highway due to the lack of flow through the converters).

The car is up for e-test again, and there is an engine light indicating that the cats are no good and need to be replaced. OEM cats cost upwards of 2000/each ( I need 2) so that's out of the question. I need to go to a real shop, that can source me and build me proper custom high-flow cats. The cheapest set-ups for pre-built high-flow after market cats online by reputable companies (miltek, supersprint ect) run anywhere from $1500-$2500 (up to $5000) for a set of cats which is pretty insane if you ask me. Also, the problem with the ones online is that they bolt up to the factory exhaust, which is pointless for me considering we cut the old ones out, and had to custom install the new shit ones which have also failed.

I found one place in woodbridge (Magnus Motorsports) but, I looked online at some reviews, and i have read posts from people dating from 2008-2013 that they are quite unreliable (regarding customer service) and can take multiple weeks before getting around to your order. But I have read that for the most part, their finished product is top notch. They quoted me last year for $800 to get 2 custom, high-flow 200-300 cell cats installed.....not bad.

Before I commit to Magnus though I wanted to see if there were any other options worth exploring in and around Toronto and the GTA. I need to get this done right, so I don't have to deal with this issue on a yearly basis (wasting hundreds of dollars in the process).........Sooooooooo, if anyone knows of a good place that could make me a nice PROPER high-flow cat setup I'm all ears!

Thanks Guys!
m5racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: