Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Detailing & Care
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-11-2014, 11:26 PM   #1
matthewjj
1st Gear Newbie

stone chips + 3M clear bra

Hey everyone,

I have a bunch (quite a few actually) of stone chips on the front of my e90. I'm trying to think of the best plan of action to 1. get rid of the stone chips and 2. protect my paint moving forward.

I had the idea to get some of that Dr.ColorChip, touch up all the spots, and then take it to CustomWraps and have a clear bra put on the hood, front bumper and mirrors.

Anybody else have any other ideas or suggestions as to how I could go about doing this???

Thanks!
matthewjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I'm considering this, and curious also.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:43 PM   #3
JM35
Bimmer Enthusiast

I would say just touch it up with paint of the same paint code. Do you drive long distances frequently or in areas with a lot of stones frequently?

My friend always tapes his front bumper with blue painters tape when he goes on a long road trip just to prevent chips like that from happening. It looks pretty janky but it gets the job done. If you frequently drive over rocks or get hit by them often then obviously this option isnt really viable.

OEM BMW Parts
JM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:51 PM   #4
matthewjj
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM35 View Post
I would say just touch it up with paint of the same paint code. Do you drive long distances frequently or in areas with a lot of stones frequently?

My friend always tapes his front bumper with blue painters tape when he goes on a long road trip just to prevent chips like that from happening. It looks pretty janky but it gets the job done. If you frequently drive over rocks or get hit by them often then obviously this option isnt really viable.
Yeah that's the thing, I commute about 150 km a day I was thinking touching it up and 3M clear bra for added protection would do the trick.
I guess my concern is how does touch up paint hold up under neath a wrap? Would it start to bubble?
matthewjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
JM35
Bimmer Enthusiast

Im not sure how it would hold up with a wrap, I wouldn't think it would bubble as long as the wrap is put on well. But yeah if youre commuting that far every day just getting a clear wrap just on the bumper might be the best option.

If I had to drive 150km a day though I would probably honestly just get a little beater like a Mazda Miata or something that I wouldn't care about putting 750km on a week.

OEM BMW Parts
JM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #6
Methodman85
1st Gear Newbie

I was considering this as well on my Lexus. I was told it wasn't a good idea from the authorized 3M installer I brought the car to.
The 3M would act like a magnifying glass to all imperfections on the paint.
Just imagine putting a screen protector on your phone when the screen isn't perfectly clean.
Basically you need to repair all the stone chips before applying the clear bra. In most cases this would require sanding down and repainting all the panels that you want to cover.
Dr. Colorchip works pretty well. Great alternative to repainting and covering with 3M. It's what I ended up using rather than repainting.
Methodman85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
kukuruznik
1st Gear Newbie

guys, is there a bang for the buck place that could help with paint chips and sim. work?
Atleast evaluate and tell me what i can DIY, what not.
Mine 525 is original paint, cosmos black,with quiet a few chips.
live in r-hill
kukuruznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #8
vga325
1st Gear Newbie

Touch up paint along with a tooth pick has become my friend for my black E 30 325.
vga325 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: