Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
BMW 335 N54
1st Gear Newbie

Angry 335i N54 Engine, Turbo/Wastegate Problems

I am having issues with one (or both) of my turbos. There is a rattling noise and the wastegate isn't dumping pressure any more. I have seen that BMW NorthAmerica (which does not include Canada) has extended the warranty on the turbos and wastegates to 8 years/82,000 miles (132,000 kms). BMW Canada acknowledges there is a problem but will not extend their warranty or recall any of the vehicles having this issue. The problem is specifically with vehicles with the N54 engine (135, 335, and 535 models).

This youtube video explains the problem and provides a very simple test to diagnose if it is your turbo's causing the noise.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_ArJdYAHfI

If you are experiencing this problem please visit my post on BMW Canada's facebook page and like and comment.
http://www.facebook.com/BMW.Canada/p...52439369808828

If you are experiencing this problem or to discuss further please email me at: bruce.inns@gmail.com

This need to get some attention before BMW will do anything about it.

Last edited by BMW 335 N54; 05-08-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fixed link
BMW 335 N54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

The problem is, before any recall is done, the manufacturer always weighs the cost of replacement vs legal action through liability. They will actually factor in cost of a law suit over a death situation than fixing the problem. It's all about margin and profits.

We don’t have lemon laws, and we are a smaller market. BMW Canada won’t do anything.

We should really stop buying second hand BMW 135i, 335i, 535i, or keep them after the warranty.

The best thing you can do is threaten the dealership and BMW Canada that you will put the following words on the side of your car, until it is fixed.

Quote:
“Don’t Buy BMW Cars with Turbo’s. Listen to mine - common problem”
True, they are all Turbo's now, and I really won't touch them. I've moved on as driving a BMW as a DD, and keep one as a toy (Non turbo).
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:01 PM   #3
BMW 335 N54
1st Gear Newbie

This is exactly why I'm bringing up this issue..... to get them to do something.

Nothing will happen if no one does anything.

I don't see the point of your comment sorry.
BMW 335 N54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

BMW Canada will probably never recall the original N54 engines at this point.
They've moved on to newer engines now.

My point is, it would be cheaper for them to settle with anyone who screams loud enough and buys a lot of new BMW's. If you have the leverage, they may listen.

I think you'd spend a lot of money trying to take legal action against them at this point.

BMW Canada won't even do a proper recall on their airbags.......
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
335, n54, problems, rattling, turbo

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: