Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
LoveMy///M
2nd Gear Member

Need help with Sunroof Cover

My sunroof cover is driving me nuts. It gets stuck while opening and closing the sunroof, It feels as if the clips on the side are not attached(pretty clear as I can tilt the cover from side to side). I googled a few things, but nothing is really clear to me.

Has anyone done this repair and suggest how I can fix this and where I should get the parts from? I'm confused about what exactly I need to fix this.

I have a E46.

Any help is appreciated as I have to wrestle my sunroof cover every time I open and close it lol.

Last edited by LoveMy///M; 05-05-2014 at 11:35 AM.
LoveMy///M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #2
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I have the same issue, and the same car.

Its low on my priority of things to do, but the solution involves removing the sunroof glass entirely and replacing the clips on the cover. They have derailed from the track, and essentially disintegrated themselves.

DYI for fix: http://www.lincomatic.com/e46sunroof/e46sunroof.html
Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
LoveMy///M
2nd Gear Member

Great DIY. thanks.

Any way to do this without removing the glass?

I'm def concerned about recalibrating the glass again. Never done it so I know I'm probably going to run into issues.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:43 PM   #4
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I don't think so. I can't even wedge the shade out without bending it, and all 4 of my clips are derailed.

Shouldn't be too difficult to recalibrate according to those instructions.
Old 05-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #5
Distinct
2nd Gear Member

I have pulled the sunroof 3 times to do this fix. The design is weak. The clips are expensive. It will break again.

Recommendation, pull the glass sunroof out, take our the sunshade and throw it in the garbage. Take the glass sunroof to a tint shop and tell them you want the very darkest tint. Cheap $50. You will feel no heat through the roof. Your sunroof will work perfectly. You also do a race weight reduction from the highest centre of gravity for 1 pound .
Distinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
LoveMy///M
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
I have pulled the sunroof 3 times to do this fix. The design is weak. The clips are expensive. It will break again.

Recommendation, pull the glass sunroof out, take our the sunshade and throw it in the garbage. Take the glass sunroof to a tint shop and tell them you want the very darkest tint. Cheap $50. You will feel no heat through the roof. Your sunroof will work perfectly. You also do a race weight reduction from the highest centre of gravity for 1 pound .
lmao, that's always one way of doing it. I've heard the weakness in the shade design before as well.

Just out of curiosity, did you order the parts from the dealer?
Did you have any issues re calibrating the glass part itself?
Old 05-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Distinct
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMy///M View Post
lmao, that's always one way of doing it. I've heard the weakness in the shade design before as well.

Just out of curiosity, did you order the parts from the dealer?
Did you have any issues re calibrating the glass part itself?

When you have it in the vented position, it is actually very easy to remove and to set back in. It doesn't just drop in place but you will know when it is not sitting right. Make sure the sliders are all in the right position before you put it back. Feel around the bolts and don't tighten then completely. Close the roof from the vented position. You can see if it is not level somewhere. Prop it up with a finger underneath and then tighten. It's not that bad.

The parts were from the dealer. They suck. Sometimes it's not even the clips but your actual shade may not be in a condition to allow you to mount the replacement a clips securely.

Just take it out and trash it. I much prefer the setup now with no shade. There's light, I can see the sky but it is definitely darker and there's no UV or heat.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #8
LoveMy///M
2nd Gear Member

I really do like your idea, makes sense in the long run.

Only issue is I know it would bug me if there was no cover there to match the rest of the headliner..lol

I guess i'll have to take the glass out to see if its the clips or the shade it self. This def sucks !
Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
jabela
4th Gear Member

I have the same problem with mine. I haven't done anything about it thought. Basically my shade is a manual operation now.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #10
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

Don't worry about aligning the sunroof after pulling the glass, it is held in by 4 torx bolts, and is very easy to adjust, and the "calibration" at the end is just as easy: open the sunroof, hold the open button 20-30 seconds until you hear the motor move, then repeat for the closed and tilt positions.

My shade is also "free floating" in the cassette. If I brake too hard, it will slam closed, but it never binds when opening the sunroof.

If yours is hindering the glass from opening, I agree with Distinct: leave the shade out. If your sunroof motor is routinely fighting a binding shade, it can strip the drive gears, or cause the sunroof cables to be misaligned. I drove with no shade for about a year and the only difference is that your A/C and heat might need to blow a bit harder in extremely hot or cold weather.

When you have the glass and shade pulled, make sure that the tracks are clear. I had the sunroof driver all mangled at the back of the track.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #11
Distinct
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
Don't worry about aligning the sunroof after pulling the glass, it is held in by 4 torx bolts, and is very easy to adjust, and the "calibration" at the end is just as easy: open the sunroof, hold the open button 20-30 seconds until you hear the motor move, then repeat for the closed and tilt positions.

My shade is also "free floating" in the cassette. If I brake too hard, it will slam closed, but it never binds when opening the sunroof.

If yours is hindering the glass from opening, I agree with Distinct: leave the shade out. If your sunroof motor is routinely fighting a binding shade, it can strip the drive gears, or cause the sunroof cables to be misaligned. I drove with no shade for about a year and the only difference is that your A/C and heat might need to blow a bit harder in extremely hot or cold weather.

When you have the glass and shade pulled, make sure that the tracks are clear. I had the sunroof driver all mangled at the back of the track.

Mine has 6 bolts.

OP and all others with this problem, just take the thing out. You will feel no heat after you tint it.

Look at this picture and compare the roof to the side window lighting.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #12
LoveMy///M
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Definitely feel better about taking the glass out now. My concern was the re calibration.

My shade isn't as free floating as mentioned above, definitely doesn't move on it own. Sometimes I have to apply pressure just get the thing closed.

I will be taking the glass out when I can and see whats going on. I don't want to completely remove the shade just yet. I know it will bug me not having a roof that matches.

Anyone have any suggestion on where to get parts besides the dealer? Seen some repair kits on ebay.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #13
Distinct
2nd Gear Member

Sometimes the repair kits and parts can't help when the shade itself won't hold the clips.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:58 PM   #14
Distinct
2nd Gear Member

Old 06-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #15
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

^ That's a relatively simple fix.

Try fixing the metal tabs on the opposite side after they've snapped
Thank goodness for JB Quick Weld, otherwise I would've needed a new shade.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: