Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

Where's my floor bro!!!!

So.....took on a winter project, grabbed a car that needed work, easy enough right....do the work, sell for some extra coin........wrong, what I knew was a small floor repair became a major project.

However with the knowledge gained and the project completed and behind me now along with a pleased new owner(fully aware of floor replacement) these are only a few cell phone pics (I have 1000's GoPro time lapse) that I took during the process.

I don't claim to be a professional body man or welding/fabrication expert, I just try to research and do things right so take it easy guys....don't hurt my feelings too bad cause this was my first time with these types of repairs and I don't think I did too ****ing bad
BMW_TECH_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #2
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

So I have seen hacks try to make/mold floor pans by hand before and this is just a losing effort and I wasn't looking to start off on the wrong foot......Need to bend metal cleanly, I live in the middle of ****ing no-where and don't want to waste $100 gas going to the closest Princess Auto for a $30 bench brake so I go to the local hardware store spend $30 in supplies and weld up my own......works great I might add.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB 1.jpg (279.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg BB 2.jpg (311.1 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg BB 3.jpg (278.8 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg BB 4.jpg (290.1 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg BB 5.jpg (255.4 KB, 159 views)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:51 AM   #3
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

First step to any sheet metal fab with smaller bits, bristol board. This shit has become my new best friend and when transferred to metal the fabrication process becomes quite accurate and a lot less time consuming through trial and error.

First thing I knew needed attention was the drivers side torque box which had seen better days due to a broken fender liner allowing salt water dirt and general road poo in there for who knows how long, so cut out anything with a sign of rust and using bristol board and bench brake I reproduced the piece. Turned out sweet, confidence starting to build.

Removed some interior and carpet to access drivers floor repair and got the shocker I wasn't looking for....drivers side floor pan was ****ed, as was rear drivers side floor, along with the rear passenger side floor and a small portion of the passenger floor.......

Well not much to do but chew and swallow, lets start with rear drivers floor and see where we end up

Sorry these pics jump around a bit and don't really tell a story through the stages as I basically took pics whenever I remembered (not often, more focused on working) hence the reason some stuff is only tack welded and other stuff is seam welded.

Still gotta make $$$$ so up goes car in comes front wheel bearing job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floor 1.jpg (31.3 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 2.jpg (47.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 3.jpg (56.0 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 4.jpg (44.4 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 5.jpg (51.2 KB, 150 views)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
Gurvinder
4th Gear Member

Looks like some quality work!
Gurvinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 AM   #5
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Welding looks good dude, nice work!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #6
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurvinder View Post
Looks like some quality work!
Thanks, it only gets better as those were my first bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
Welding looks good dude, nice work!
Thanks Rudy, thankfully I am patient and as I learned quick with some test pieces, one must take time with the thin stuff so as not to burn clean though, as I'm sure we've all heard but shit does it ever stop the clock!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 AM   #7
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

Lots of grinding, cutting, sparking, welding general mayhem being unleashed inside vehicle so it was necessary to gut interior down to bare minimum.

Here is that pesky little spot we ALL like to place our heel for that good ol' throttle control, and not sure how many of you have ever actually seen it before but the gas pedal also has an attachment point to the floor here which was barely intact, made a few quick measurements and marks to relocate a fabricated piece once this portion of floor gets replaced.

Thankfully the main rail of the unibody was in mint condition and allows me to rebuild the floor around it.

So drill out spot welds with proper bits and cut seams in a fashion that allows replacement in stages and ultimately merging the different portions all while retaining factory structure

Once again bristol board and the bench break came in handy to fab up replacement piece, drilled spot weld holes to fasten centre of piece and basically super pumped on how this turned out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Floor 6.jpg (63.1 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 7.jpg (66.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 8.jpg (56.6 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 9.jpg (43.6 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 10.jpg (68.5 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg Floor 11.jpg (62.7 KB, 138 views)
Old 04-30-2014, 01:58 AM   #8
gruppusol
2nd Gear Member

terrific really. very nice.
'00 e39 M5 Avus Blau - SOLD
'97 e36 M3 Cosmos Black sedan - R.I.P.
gruppusol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
Willycool
PISTOLERO !

Very nice work!

What gauge metal did you use to create replacement pieces? 22, 20, 18 ?

What did you use to cut the metal? Band saw, jig saw or metal shears?

Peace..
Willycool is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: