Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
2005 bmw m3
2nd Gear Member

Which tires for track day

I'm doing the bmw 2 day event at mosport at the end of may.
i did it last year (1 day event with 4 times on the track)for the first time and had my new michelin super sports on the car.
When i bought the car it came with a second set of rims with all seasons on it.
wondering if i should switch to the all seasons because of potential tire wear on my new super sports. any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:31 PM   #2
gruppusol
2nd Gear Member

If you plan on going to the track more often, a set of dedicated track tires is a better way to go IMO. Nice everyday tires will take a beating on a two day event. The all seasons will not do well - probably grease up when they get hot.

Toyo R888
'00 e39 M5 Avus Blau - SOLD
'97 e36 M3 Cosmos Black sedan - R.I.P.
gruppusol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:13 AM   #3
twboy1999
5th Gear Member

you will be fine with the PSS

let it wear and tear
Old 04-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
2005 bmw m3
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice.
Looks like the P.S.S. are staying on
Old 04-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #5
MikeeM3
2nd Gear Member

i have a pair of pilot sport cups if you want better grip then the PSS !!!
MikeeM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
Steve30
Techno Viking

I don't think the weather will be warm enough for the cups to have an advantage over the PSS. You really need to heat those bad boys up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeeM3 View Post
i have a pair of pilot sport cups if you want better grip then the PSS !!!

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325is winter build
Steve30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #7
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Definitely leave the PSS on. I even sold my R888 last year because the PSS were so capable. I track the PSS regularly and they don't show signs of bad wear (hold up nicely to abuse).

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

PSS. Adjustable Camber plates will help with wear.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
2005 bmw m3
2nd Gear Member

Weather was perfect.
2 days- 8 track sessions
some rubber melt on the outside and rubber cracking on the inside
my mechanic says this is normal track wear
i raised the pressure 3psi while tires cold before heading to the track as recommended by the driving school and left it that way until i got home than lowered back to factory.
Some said to leave it at factory settings , some said to check before going out on each track session and adjust up or down and some said to try above, below, then same as factory settings just before heading onto the track on 3 different track sessions and see which one feels good.
Any suggestions, comments from more experienced track drivers would be helpful as i am going again in September
Old 06-04-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 bmw m3 View Post
Weather was perfect.
2 days- 8 track sessions
some rubber melt on the outside and rubber cracking on the inside
my mechanic says this is normal track wear
i raised the pressure 3psi while tires cold before heading to the track as recommended by the driving school and left it that way until i got home than lowered back to factory.
Some said to leave it at factory settings , some said to check before going out on each track session and adjust up or down and some said to try above, below, then same as factory settings just before heading onto the track on 3 different track sessions and see which one feels good.
Any suggestions, comments from more experienced track drivers would be helpful as i am going again in September
So which tires did you end up using? Got pics?

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
BigD
the misanthropist

Don't raise the pressures for the track, people usually run way too high. Tires get hot on track and pressure goes up so you actually want lower pressure cold than you would normally run. Monitor your pressures, you will often have one tire that will get hotter than the rest and you'll get off the track with higher pressure in that corner than the rest. Equalize the pressures at that point. When cold, yes they will be uneven but the next time you go out, they will even out again.

The best way to know what pressure to run is to google what experienced drivers, especially pro-solo (these guys push street tires to the absolute limit), say works best for your tire and, preferably, car as well. To give you an idea, the Rivals like to run around 32-35 hot and that often means setting them to mid-high 20s cold.

If you don't want to go this far, and there's not much need really especially as you're getting started, just keep the pressures nice and even, not too low or too high.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:41 PM   #12
dble Trouble
TAKE IT TO THE TRACK

Big D has it right.

What I teach my students is to check the tire pressures when they come off of the track hot! At that point balance them to 40psi for street tires. If you check them when they are cold they will be all over the place. This is okay. Once you get a couple of laps of heat into the tires they will build the same pressures as before providing you drive with the same amount of vigor and that the track temp and air temp don't change dramatically. You really have to stay on top of this to maximize the life of your tires and to maintain the balance of your car.

Again, when you go on track the first two laps should be building speed and not out right maximum speed as your car will not be warmed yet nor will your brakes or tires.

BMW 325I E30 Chumpcar Race Car
BMW 540iT M-Sport (New Family Hauler)
BMW 135i Msport Daily/track toy
dble Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 AM   #13
GreyHair
1st Gear Newbie

Big D and DbleTrouble - Excellent stuff. This is the first time I have come across a concise and clear explanation as to what to do with tire pressures for the average joe at a track day. John: this should be part of the regular day 1 in-class discussions, I have never seen this explained particularly well during any school I have attended. I am sure there are lots of newbies running around out there during their first one or two track days / schools with WAY too high pressures (back in the day, myself included)
GreyHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #14
jabela
4th Gear Member

I see way too many people running low tire pressures at autocross/autoslalom. In this case you are running cold tire pressures as there is no time to warm your tires.

For instance, in my heavy E46 325ci, I run around 38-42psi front and 35-37psi rear. That's with relatively tall tires (255/40/17).

At CTMP last weekend, I ran with a hot temp of 40psi front and 38psi rear. That was checked after coming off the track.

Another rule of thumb is to check for wear on your sidewall. If you have any, that means your tire is rolling over in the corners. Aside from adding more camber, you can increase your tire pressure to stiffen the tire and prevent it from rolling on the side. You may also be over driving your car, so try loading that tire less. ie. if rolling on front left tire, try entering right hand corners with less speed.

Tire pressures depend highly on the brand of tire, the size of the tire, the car (heavy, light, weight balance, fwd vs rwd), alignment specs (camber, toe), track surface, ambient and track temps, how hard you're driving it, etc.
I think everyone would agree that a general rule of thumb would be to increase tire pressure just enough to prevent rolling onto the sidewall. That should optimize your grip and tire wear without being too high in tire pressure, which can reduce grip levels and wear the centre sections of your tire.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #15
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

I run 35psi cold on my NT-01's. Puts them right around 40psi once they warm up.
frankie591 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: