Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
e24_635csi
still wants a turbo...

E46 axle diagnose

Other than the usual torn boot visual inspection. Is there any other tell tale signs that an axle is on it's way out.

I suspect I have an issue on my XI,on longer trips I get a front end vibration under acceleration. Usually at highway speeds but once it starts it will continue at lower speeds aswell.

I don't see any torn boots so is there any other things to look for or reasons that would cause this.

I will have the car on a hoist tomorrow morning so any tips would be great.

Thanks.

e24 635csi -e28 528e/m30b34 - e28 M5 - e34 M5 - e46 330xi M
e24_635csi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

I have done a few on my own xi and many customers, usually you will hear a clicking of sorts, generally when turning or pressure to that side is applied. I first noticed mine when entering and leaving my drive way at low speed. Today we had a customer come in in her xi (e46) and complained of a vibration at now all speeds, sure enough, front right AND left axles.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
lgb240
2nd Gear Member

Boots don't have to be bad for axles to fail. My driver's side boots looked Ok, no tears or rips, but the inner joint was failing. Symptoms were as you described - vibrations at highway ( and sometimes lower) speeds.

I also inspected the driveshaft - flex coupler and centre hanger bearing was worn, also trans / transfer case mount had cracks in the webs.

Point being that it may not just be your axles causing the vibrations...

Last edited by lgb240; 04-12-2014 at 08:38 PM.
lgb240 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: