Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #16
nachos23
SweetXi

Send a message via MSN to nachos23
Got the pictures at dusk tonight

Cant wait for the tail lights and a few other upgrades to arrive..... Next week or so should be a good week.
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package
BMW Personal Audio System

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI
++More to come this winter

nachos23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
dbworld4k
Addict

My new toy; 2000 Z3 M Estoril Blue Metallic

Not a fan of those headlights at all, too much chrome and eBay-esque look to them. Keep this baby clean dude.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:35 AM   #18
damonchoy
Breaks My Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Not a fan of those headlights at all, too much chrome and eBay-risqué look to them. Keep this baby clean dude.
I came here to post this and Anuk beat me to it!

I love Estoril Blue with all my heart and this is a gorgeous Roadster, but the lights are just making me sadbanana. They look cheap and out of place to me, if I'm totally honest.

I love the plate, though! Fits very well on the Z.

Damon Choy - 17 years of age - Past: E36 328iC, E46 330ci M-Sport (Imola Red/Alcantara)
Summer: 350Z - Tein MonoFlex coilovers, Impul headers, 06+ front end, 3.90 final drive
Winter: E36 328i - BC coilovers, BBS RA, M3 brakes, M50 manifold, Dinan intake, 3.23 LSD
damonchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:31 AM   #19
nachos23
SweetXi

I was torn about the lights too... Just didn't want to have halogen and if I just threw in the HID's i'd kill on coming traffic. Wanted HIDs, but wanted projectors to ensure I was implementing correctly... Kept the originals.... we'll have to wait and see...

The license seemed to suit this car nicely...LOL

No more mods planned to alter the look. Maybe some driveline or suspension mods, but I'm even reluctant to do those because its pretty much perfect now.... just hate halogen... LOL
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 AM   #20
damonchoy
Breaks My Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachos23 View Post
I was torn about the lights too... Just didn't want to have halogen and if I just threw in the HID's i'd kill on coming traffic. Wanted HIDs, but wanted projectors to ensure I was implementing correctly... Kept the originals.... we'll have to wait and see...

The license seemed to suit this car nicely...LOL

No more mods planned to alter the look. Maybe some driveline or suspension mods, but I'm even reluctant to do those because its pretty much perfect now.... just hate halogen... LOL
I hate halogens too, and I'm actually happy you didn't just toss HIDs into the stock halogen housings and blind everyone...

BUT...

If you really want proper headlights, I'd highly suggest retrofitting the stock ones! I had my E36 retrofitted with FX-R 3.0 bixenon projectors from The Retrofit Source and they were amazing, even better than the OE bixenons in my E46.

Just something to think about if you hate halogens and want to do it "right". (Right by my definition, that is.) Not only do they look fantastic but they also provide amazing light output with a razor sharp cutoff.

Damon Choy - 17 years of age - Past: E36 328iC, E46 330ci M-Sport (Imola Red/Alcantara)
Summer: 350Z - Tein MonoFlex coilovers, Impul headers, 06+ front end, 3.90 final drive
Winter: E36 328i - BC coilovers, BBS RA, M3 brakes, M50 manifold, Dinan intake, 3.23 LSD
damonchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:48 AM   #21
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
eBay-esque look to them. Keep this baby clean dude.
Couldn't agree more. The ebay-ish look is the first thing that came to my mind as well. Not only they cheapen the look of the car, they also have this weird dark line on the bottom edge that make it look like you have a gap between the headlights and the bumper.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #22
nachos23
SweetXi

I'll definitely reach out to them.. I want to do it right, but couldn't find any sources.... any idea of cost?
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Old 04-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #23
windwagen
6th Gear Member

E39 aftermarket lights - now some of those are horrendous! Esp the ones with the full circle AE. Makes the car look ...surprised or shocked instead of mean. Or the ones with little jewels embedded into them - barf!

I think they look fine ... even after reading all this. But who am I to say ... I have stock halogens on the touring. I bought it with ugly UGLY ebay specials installed. Then one headlamp was smashed last month.... two real opportunities to upgrade - FAIL!!

Never mind that... I posted the ugly headlamps on eBay figuring I'd dump them for next to nothing.... 7 bidders jacked them up to almost $100!!??!

I read about some of those projector retrofits... pretty intense!

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #24
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

those arent the worst ebay headlights..but they still look like...ebay headlights.

nice pick up. car looks clean
Old 04-04-2014, 10:40 AM   #25
nachos23
SweetXi

Thanks guys.. Never expected the lights to generate this much conversation. LOL

I know a place that does the proper retro fits; one of my old Carbon Fiber clients... Local too... Now that I have the stock lights out, I can have him work on them without having to take the car off the road... There will however be angel eyes in the new setup as well as I love that look. Gap under lights is actually a gap as I need to make fine adjustments to the positioning... It was 2am when I finished installing them the other night... The lights need to be physically adjusted to fit centre into the opening and to properly aim the headlights... Was going to do that this weekend weather permitting... Made sure they were pointed as to not blind oncoming traffic, but still pointing a little high for the drivers in front of me... additionally, the lens were supposed to be smoked and these definitely aren't. I've contacted the Mfg in California yesterday in this regards. The smoked lens would reduce the eBay'ish look of these...
H&R coilovers
BBS LM wheels
//M sport package

2000 Z3M
Conforti tuned
AFE CAI

Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #26
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I couldn't even contain myself to read through all the replies before adding my 2 cents. As I am sure it has already been tactfully mentioned, Please remove those horrendous headlights asap.. They simply don't belong on a 50K, clean as a whistle, rare to find, Z3M.
I see the same lights on a riced out Z3 1.8 with a huge wing, fart can exhaust and fake muffler tips glued to the fenders at my local Home Depot.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #27
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Better idea - wrap them in carbon fiber!!!!

Speaking of wrapping, have you ever done a hood? Is it hard for a newb? I see these videos on youtube and they make it look easy. I did some small parts to cover the rust on the touring and I got my wife and neighbor to help. We just did the 2 in on the bottom of the doors and it's no so simple....

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #28
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
i find the stock lights to have a pretty reasonable projection pattern with HID's, i have a 5000k 35w canbus kit in mine.

i would like to retro to projectors but i dont want angel eyes or any chrome whatsoever. i inquired about projectorZ availability without AE's and never got a reply.

i have some d2s/h1 projector retrofits coming in soon (think morimoto mini), maybe i'll see if i can do something with those.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #29
Steve-O
1st Gear Newbie

Nice car and great find! I love all the BMW blues. Montreal Blue is probably my favourite, but the Estoril is a close second.

I am running the ProjectorZ headlights on my car and I quite like them. The previous owner installed them, and I personally think they are an upgrade aesthetically. However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Looking at these picture really makes me want to drive my car. But sadly with the weather we are having in the east, it will probably be May before i get my car out of storage.

Steve-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:17 AM   #30
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
the projectorz are great headlights, but i refuse to put angel eyes on the z

the z3 uses the same diff as e30 6cyl.

just buy a 3.73lsd out of a 325is. i bought mine for 140$ (and sold my stock 3.23 for like 400$)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, style, z3m

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: