Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
Sundancer
1st Gear Newbie

stock radio overheating, help?

I have a 93 E31, it had a CM5903L head unit, with 6 disc changer. I don't know if this unit was the original unit. It worked perfectly, then crackling of all 4 speakers, and diminshed volume became more and more frequent. I pulled the unit out and sent it out for refurbishing. While its gone, I found another one on Ebay, that was listed as fitting numerous models, I figured at worse I'd have a spare...

when I plugged the "new" one in, I smelled the burning wire smell, sound was ok on fronts, CD worked, rear speakers were crackly, then saw wisps of smoke from the rear of the unit. You could not touch the heat sink due to high heat. Could I have a unit not compatible with the E31 harness? I thought maybe I had a short in a rear speaker, but after disconnecting the rears, it heated up again, I checked the speaker wires to ground, and got no continuity.

any ideas? any help would be much appreciated, I'm trying to keep the car as stock as possible, so don't want to go with a different head unit...
Sundancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: