Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #31
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Custom oh shit handles Racer, get with the program! Seatbelts are for pussies! I threw those out long ago!

LOL, okay time for teh srs bznz:

Today I took the car for a little trip into the city to get washed underneath. A free hoist + power washer (and a bit of degreaser ) = happy clean car! The car finally got to meet the rest of the team members, and everyone is happy with how the car is progressing and can't wait to drive it!

Loaded up and ready to go!

Once arrived, up, up, and away!!

So dumbass me forgot to take pics until we'd gotten to the last (and least dirty) corner of the car. This is the scene we were dealing with:

And this is how clean we got it, floors and driveline parts included

Very pleased to see that the car was very very clean under all that gunk and oil spray buildup. The rubber items weren't as screwed up as I thought they'd be, but regardless it didn't matter as it's all going to be replaced anyways. So, all in all, successful day. Messy job #2 complete! More updates next week!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:23 AM   #32
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

That white is so bright!
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #33
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

Ahhhhh

UNMATCHED is the convenience of a hoist, pressure washer and a floor drain!

Looking good Rudy, can't wait to see finished product.

How much for the dash flocking if you don't mind me asking.
BMW_TECH_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #34
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Sorry dude, not sure how much the flocking was on its own, as it was incorporated into the cage cost.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:05 AM   #35
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Not a lot of work completed this week... between me fetching parts, and getting sick, there wasn't much headway to make. On the bright side, almost all the parts to complete the car have arrived... except for tires and seats from the cage shop, and a clutch from BMW. A nice box of goodies arrived from Bimmerworld as well this week... Can't wait to start installing the fun stuff!

In the meantime, the only progress I've made was on windows. I swear I am never putting this much effort into lexan again unless I am getting paid for it, or it's on my own car. It's a task that everyone just sees as 'meh its windows' but I think my standards are what makes this such a painstakingly annoying task.

So, I've already cut out a rear window previously. Turns out it was too big... much better problem to have than too small! With a lot of trimming, I got it to fit, with the trim.

So, since that task is done (or so I thought), time to paint the rear deck!

Unmask, clean, get ready to install the rear window. Put the clips on the window to secure the trim, all goes well, until I put the whole window into the car. Hmm. Now it won't fit! Turns out the clips pushed the trim out a hair further than before, so really, the window would have needed even more trimming! So at this point, I was getting kind of frustrated so I just took the trim off and tore off the clips from the window.

I said screw it and just put the window in. To secure the trim, I just used a few dabs of urethane, and that will do the trick this time around!

Once it was all dried up, I cut out some vinyl to mimic the original UV band around the edge of the window, but deleting the third brake light surround. If you look carefully, you can see the vinyl also covers the small buttonhead screws I used as a 'backup' method for securing the window into the car. Unfortunately, somehow the vinyl wrinkled a bit after sitting for a day, and now it has a ton of bubbles in it which irritates the hell out of me... but I'm probably going to let it slide for now

Old 04-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #36
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Now that the rear window is complete... the car is finally water-tight again! Yay! I can wash the car, leave it out in the rain, etc... Naaaaahhhhh time to tear into the doors/side windows. A decision I should have left for another time as I shortly found out...

Time to figure out how to gut a door on an E34. Drill, punch, and reef shit out!

Once the windows were out, time to trace them! Except, the rear quarter windows are glued into a seal... that's sealed in by the outer door seal. So, dumbass me, obviously wants to reuse this glued seal, so I carefully cut it off the existing window.

Well that went well. Trace out the window, cut to exact size... Not bad!

Until I tried to clip it in. I tried everything... trimming it, forcing it in, but it just didn't want to stay. So I ended up ditching the seal... and securing it with another one of those slim buttonhead bolts I had bought previously for the rear window. I welded a small tab to the door so it has a place to screw into. I also ended up having to recut a second quarter window which was 8mm longer on the front edge so it would sit behind the black divider trim. Pictured is the new quarter window.

Now with that finished, time to gut the door even more! Why I ask... I don't know but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Again, another job I would not do unless I was getting paid...

Outlined

Cut

Cleaned

Cut the big window for the rear, pretty straightforward... held in with two screws and the seals (but still not 100% satisfied yet with my solution) And also have to make a small cable to reach to the front of the door so the wire becomes the 'inner door handle'

From the outside, it looks great. I may cut a small piece of black vinyl to cover the top of the rear quarter window because I don't like seeing the white frame in behind it...

Old 04-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #37
Hej2002
1st Gear Newbie

Good luck Neil, rubber side down. Look forward to see it go!
Hej2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #38
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Updates for this week:

Scored some cheap Bilsteins off kijiji the other day. Took the fronts apart to cut the bumpstops down slightly... I've never done this before, so I am eager to see if I notice any difference at all with their ride quality (probably not though). I ended up cutting 1/3 of it off (the first big square at the bottom)

Dug up the used camber plates I picked up awhile ago, and took them apart to inspect them and regrease the bearings. The upper spring perches had mushroomed a bit, and it was very tight to get it over the shock, so I had to dremel out the hole slightly... all is well now.

Took a lot of junk off the car. Scrapped the sway bars, all the heat shields, sound deadening, etc. Took off the heavy exhaust... that will need to be replaced asap. It weighs more than my 2002! LOL! Pic of the carnage dropping the autotragic...

And, in a bit of a predicament regarding the driveshafts... Because of the choice of using a 210 diff aka big case, the driveshaft needs to be a hair shorter on the rear side... well, only M5s and 540s can accommodate that feature... and the transmission we have is using the smaller flange since it's a Getrag... so some mixing and matching will be involved! Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have a solution ready to go!

Old 04-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #39
BigD
the misanthropist

Why the 210? If you're not making 1000hp, all you get with the 210 is a lot of extra weight.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 PM   #40
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Why the 210? If you're not making 1000hp, all you get with the 210 is a lot of extra weight.
Mostly cost. Owner had an entire M5 rear end kicking around. A second, taller ratio diff was purchased from WillZ, so at least everything is the same... and now we can travel with a spare if we choose... not that I think it will ever need it lol!

Sure it is extra weight, but it's at the right end of the car, so I'm not too worried.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 AM   #41
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Update for this week:

Driveshaft was completed this week. Turned out really well... however the studs have been misplaced somehow for the rear joint, so we will wait for those to come in on order from the dealership. Unfortunately it's an odd E34 setup that uses threaded studs, unlike majority of later E34s that use a pressed-in stud to fix the driveshaft to the diff flange.

Putting together a few odds and ends for the shift linkage. Temporary shift knob Other parts in the background waiting to be installed as well!

New single mass flywheel, and new clutch installed

Threw in the trans, installed all the new shift linkage... Feels so good Also plumbed in the clutch, now there is a working pedal in the car!!

Worked on the rear end this weekend... M5 diff installed, along with halfshafts and brakes, braided lines put in, just waiting on the rear dogbones to arrive on order and the rear end is complete. Also trial fitted the rear shocks... will need to be taken out again to install bumpstops and swap coilover sleeves for more low

Shot of the car for motivation. Popped a set of M5 rims on... wow it looks like a new car with those! Me likey!

Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #42
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Got the driveshaft in! Had some studs fabricated yesterday, same length as the originals. Installed perfectly. But that is about all of the good news. Had some snags along the way. I tried to install the front coilovers on Monday. Totally my mistake for not checking, but it turns out the E34 has a bigger diameter strut tube than other BMWs like the E28, or E30. Cross referencing the Bilstein shocks used between these three models, one would notice they all utilize the same shock cartridge diameter, which is why I assumed they'd all have the same strut size. Not so, unfortunately. My ordered E28 setup won't work up front A new spring perch is going to be fabricated, in steel, to accommodate the larger diameter strut tube, but still using a 2.5" dia race spring. Hopefully that will be finished within the next two weeks.

You can see unused perches hanging out beside the new Moosehead Engineering UCABs.

I actually had some issues with the press fit tolerances of the Moosehead bearings, but the owner, Paul, was super helpful and responded really fast to my inquiries. He gave me a few solutions to take, and I will see by the end of the week how it goes. The product itself looks great, so I have high hopes for these parts.

So back to the front springs... in my haste to make the car ready for the upcoming test day this Friday (which we collectively decided as a team to skip, and aim for another test day at Mosport in two weeks) I needed to get the car on the ground, and rolling, so I installed the Bilstein shocks into the existing strut housings, and proceeded to try and cut the front springs because I had nothing to lose at this point. I ended up cutting 1/3 of the front spring, and it's a bit higher than I thought but at least there is still some shock travel left. Because of the stock spring, no camber plates... no camber up front we'll get there eventually... *sigh*

And lastly, the first set of tires got delivered for the car... Made by... wait for it...... Nankang! HEY! Don't you laugh over there... they don't look like the regular Nankang tires to me! LOL!!! Laughing aside, I do really hope they perform as well as they look, because these look pretty aggressive for street tires.

Old 05-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #43
JINT
5th Gear Member

subscribed
Old 05-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #44
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

very nice work let me no how those nankang work out are the nsr or w/e they are??
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:28 AM   #45
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW1819 View Post
very nice work let me no how those nankang work out are the nsr or w/e they are??
I'll definitely be posting my impressions when I get to run on them. I'll also be able to provide back to back feedback with the Hankook RS3, which itself is a well known street tire.

These are called the NS2R, and it's been around overseas for awhile now, but they haven't caught on here until recently. The supplier that provided the tires gave us a decent price on them, hence why we figured to try and see what they are like.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: