Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #16
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Had a chance to go visit the car at the cage shop this past week. The cage is being built by Chris @ Street Rate Parts in Ajax, and he is doing a great job so far.

Hanging out in the corner of the shop, but progressing well!

Main hoop will be placed here.

Still missing a few bars, but it fits really nice to the roof. Very pleased with the shape so far.

Mockup A Pillar bar being used for fitment. Very nice.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #17
Ziploc
1st Gear Newbie

Awesome.
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
Chris916
2nd Gear Member

Cage looks great! Look forward to seeing this on track.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #19
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris916 View Post
Cage looks great! Look forward to seeing this on track.
Thanks Chris! Me too, I can't wait to drive something waayyyyy outside my comfort zone!

On the subject of cage... lol, we will get to that in a second. A few delays, and a lot of excuses in between. So what's there to do without a car in my hand? Cut windows!!

Got a big sheet of lexan delivered. Tracing out the rear window...

And voila! Still need to finish the edges, but the shape and size looks about right! Crossing my fingers everything works out for fitment! There is still another big piece for the side windows.

So finally, the car comes back. And... the politest way I can say this is it really killed my motivation for the car, so much that I didn't even want to look/touch it at all for three days once it got back. Regardless, the show must go on, as there is a deadline to meet!

I took advantage of today's relatively warm weather to assess the situation and fit the dash. A nice sharp knife, tin snips, dremel and a grinder, I made this thing fit like a glove. Still uses all the original bolts and mounting points

A Pillar bar fit

All done! Fits perfect.

Took the dash back out to spray the vents. The dash is going get flocked shortly, and I wanted to make sure any areas that get missed will still appear black. Personally, if it was my car, I'd have just sprayed the dash black with this vinyl dye and called it a day... but flocking was already included into the cage cost.

Last thing I was able to do for the day was start to scuff the cage and paint some of the tighter areas. It's crazy how much the bare metal has rusted in only a few short days! My plan shortly changed since the sun was going down, and it was getting colder, so I just scuffed and painted the A Pillar bars for now. At least since they have an okay coat of paint, the glass guy can come anytime now to reinstall the original front window back into the car this week.

Oh whoops... forgot to mention, I spent at least an hour today running around the cage with a dremel to flatten out some of the sharp welds and bits n bobs leftover from the metal fabrication ...and there's still so much more to do too

Last edited by craz azn; 04-06-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #20
BigD
the misanthropist

This may be fabricated out of thin air, my mind does that... but I think I've heard some orgs not letting you grind cage welds.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #21
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
This may be fabricated out of thin air, my mind does that... but I think I've heard some orgs not letting you grind cage welds.
No, you are definitely correct. Even if it isn't said, it's an unwritten rule in racing that you shouldn't be screwing with the welds after the fact. Mostly to prevent you grinding the welds so thin that it compromises the integrity of the weld. Luckily, most of the welds on the cage look strong for the most part, but there was a lot of sharp bits sticking out like bits of wire, slag, etc. I already scratched my hand twice on some unsuspecting spots where there was something sticking out, so I had to do something about it. Not comfortable with the fact that it could potentially tear into your suit or gloves or whatever when getting into the car.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:08 AM   #22
BigD
the misanthropist

Jeez, did they use fluxcore or something
Old 04-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #23
sb_600
5th Gear Member

whoa - keep up the good work Rudy You'll get there
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #24
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Jeez, did they use fluxcore or something
Haha, no it was definitely mig. Nice machine they have there too. I'd love to have something like that... beats the ol' cheesebox welder we have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb_600 View Post
whoa - keep up the good work Rudy You'll get there
Thanks Shawn! Yep, just gotta keep at it... The first track date is beginning of May, so that's the goal!

The dash was dropped off for flocking today. All I had time for today was to mess around with a few oddball things. I took a look at our new NRG quick release. It's probably their middle-grade offering... connects very positively, but there's a safety pin to prevent the wheel from being pulled off unintentionally... and for racing and speed of taking the wheel off, I wanted to defeat the safety pin. Turns out it's only a small little screw that holds the pin in! Sweet!

Mounted everything together to see how it looks. Spacing is more than I thought, which I am really pleased with. I like the steering wheel fairly close.

This wheel I've had for over ten years now. It's had a previous life in a racing E36 before I got it, and I've actually only used it for a total of 6 days, back in my 'first' E30 waaaayyy back in the day. I've been holding onto it for awhile to throw into a 3 Series racecar, but I've never really quite gotten to that point, so I figured I'd donate it to the E34. I still need to make a bracket to hold the radio button, and possibly something else. The wheel already had such a bracket in its previous life to cycle through the digital dash, hence the holes and a bit of the spoke foam chopped off on the backside.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #25
Ziploc
1st Gear Newbie

Keep it up.
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 AM   #26
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Nice work, hopefully I can come see it in a week or two when I get my car on the road.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #27
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Thanks guys!

Old 04-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #28
craz azn
6th Gear Member

A few updates to post:

Over the week I've slowly painted the cage. It's looking pretty good now, but still needs a few touchups here and there, as well as the base plates, but I'll paint those along with the floor when the car is closer to completion. I forgot to take pics of the cage, but here's one 'in progress' pic

Also urethaned the sunroof in. Messy job... very happy it's done though!

Before

During

I'll get the after pic tomorrow

The front window was reinstalled today, and I'll work on the rear lexan window next week. Have to make a trip to a hardware store to get some fancier buttonhead fasteners.

The dashboard came back from flocking. It looks good..........

..... But I am VERY concerned about the longevity of it. FML!

At least it looks cool in the car. I'll probably eat my words later once it gets dusty and it needs to be cleaned...

This looks naaaaaaaaicceee

The seating position is hilarious. It reminds me of Smokin' Jo in BMW Touring Car heydays

The owner happened to stop by so I took a pic of the seating position. Not bad for a first attempt. A few small tweaks and the seating position will be as good as can be!

Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #29
Racer
2nd Gear Member

why do you have those bars in the doorway? how are you going to get in and out. will you be able to check your blind spot with that seat? i hope you change all that before you race.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:17 AM   #30
BigD
the misanthropist

And why aren't you wearing your seatbelt?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: