Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #1
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
BMW E34 Racecar Build Thread

Wow, it's been so long since I've started a build thread, I don't even know how to begin! Well... lets start off with saying this isn't my car, but it's owned by a good friend of mine, and I am helping organize and manage majority of the build process for it.

I met this car back in the summer of 2012. A search for a clean E34 in the GTA came up with this. A plain-jane, grocery-getter 1995 525i, blessed with Alpine White paint, blue interior, and an Autotragic gearbox.

The plan was to make a fun street car out of it, but life, and other car plans got in its way and it sat for basically a year and half before the idea of a track car, and eventually the racecar idea popped up. Covered in snow, and seized brakes from sitting around, it's awakened for a new chapter in life!

The current plan as of the last couple months have been to make a very budget conscious car that would be eligible for the occasional event in Regional Racing, and Chumpcar! Unfortunately, this past year, Chumpcar has changed to rules to unfavour the BMWs, so some of the original plans had to be shelved, and some new ideas were formed in order to have a fun car that wasn't 'neutered' by the rules.

First thing I did to the car was gut it. I did it slowly in case any parts needed to be saved for various reasons.

Slowly, but surely, things were removed from the car, and I could finally see the floor! And a nice surprise to see the car was as clean as advertised!

Another surprise to see a roofliner in good shape!! This was saved, and is now in storage.

Sunroof cartridge removed... heavy sucker that thing is! I eventually removed the sunroof drains too and a few other odds and ends. The stock sunroof panel will be put back in... still deciding on how to mount it effectively.

Front carpet out, still looking pretty good!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

Looking forward to this project Rudy

Your friend is in good hands!
BMW_TECH_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Thanks Diego! Even if it won't be fast, it's going to look badass and be a reliable tank when it's finished!

Old 03-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
Adi™
1st Gear Newbie

E34 track car, awesome Can't wait to see how this turns out.
Adi™ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Yessss!

E34s can be fast race cars (shitty 1/4 mile time because of street tires)

Old 03-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Yessss!

E34s can be fast race cars (shitty 1/4 mile time because of street tires)
I wish I had a budget to work with that is even a quarter of what that car got Then I'd agree lol!

Old 03-19-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Now that everything is out, time to sort out a way to mount a bucket in this tank!!

Hmm, so the E34 has these hooks to hold the seat to the floor, and its bolted in only at the rear. So much for it being like an E30 or an E36. I looked into VACs side mount kit for the E34, but I felt I could do just as good a job, and get the seat mounted lower with what I had in mind. Bring out the torch and bye bye floor hooks!!

And a bit of grinder action later, the torched bits are nice and flat. Took a piece of flat bar, cut to size, drilled a few holes... tacked some nuts on the bottom and now we have mounting plates!

Holesawed some holes into the car (for the nuts to fit), in strategic spots and welded those suckers in. Test fit!

Wow... that actually worked!! So now since all four plates were placed, welding was finished up and it all received a splash of paint to prevent any rust for the time being. The floor will get a final, better coat of paint once the car is near completion.

Thank goodness I used quickdry paint... I was getting impatient to bolt the side mounts to the floor and fit my seat in for more test fitting!

Soooooooooo good!

Messed around with the steering column to get it lower, now everything feels pretty good! I'm pretty happy with the seating position now in the car. Definitely going to need a removable steering wheel hub to get into this thing though lol!

Now to work on getting three pedals in this car...

Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #8
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

Ahhhhh the hugs only a bucket can give!
BMW_TECH_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 PM   #9
craz azn
6th Gear Member

The next item on the list was the transmission. A complete 5 speed setup from a 1995 525i was purchased from richie_s999, who did a great job of providing every single required nut and bolt for the swap, even including the proper grommets! I set out to start changing the pedal box... which required removing the steering column.

Bye bye!

I unhooked the brake linkage, throttle linkage, undid a few nuts, and out it came! I set it on the floor beside the old one and DOH! It turns out they use the same frame! I should have known that... and just swapped the pedals themselves. Oh well! Already halfway there, might as well pop the new complete setup into the car...

And all set up, proper grommets in place, column back in, everything functioning fine! I sure am glad to have this part of the transmission swap completed before the roll cage is installed in the car. No way would I be climbing around the door bars like a contortionist to install that stuff!

Still deciding on a differential choice which will in turn influence the driveshaft... so all the mechanical driveline bits underneath the car are on hold for a bit while there are some decisions to be made. In the meantime, the car heads off to get a roll cage installed. Just a simple 6 point cage is in the cards, enough to keep the crazy drivers safe

Old 03-23-2014, 11:08 PM   #10
shanehutton
2nd Gear Member

I know it's too late but keeping the drivers seat on sliders would have been great for multi-driver use such as chump car.
'86 Toyota MR2 for ice racing
shanehutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:14 PM   #11
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Hehe, look closer they are there!

Old 03-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #12
shanehutton
2nd Gear Member

I'm an idiot.
'86 Toyota MR2 for ice racing
shanehutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post

I unhooked the brake linkage, throttle linkage, undid a few nuts, and out it came! I set it on the floor beside the old one and DOH! It turns out they use the same frame! I should have known that... and just swapped the pedals themselves. Oh well! Already halfway there, might as well pop the new complete setup into the car...
That's funny, when I did my 6spd swap, they weren't the same; the existing one didn't have the tab for the clutch return spring. I wish I could've just swapped pedals, cause I remember not having too good of a time rolling around in the footwell.
Nick_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #14
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Yup, 100% sure the were the same! I was kicking myself while putting it in, but in a way it was a good thing I took it out, otherwise it would have been impossible to put the grommets in properly that seal outside the firewall.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
marks525
3rd Gear Member

Subscribed!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: