Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
pkfolly
1st Gear Newbie

Random No-starts

My 06 325xiT, with comfort acccess has my mechanic scratching his head. On two occasions, my wife (with her key) couldn't get the car to start. Idiot lights come on, nav screen lights up, but no cranking at all. She tried it with the key inserted, still nothing. I drove to her location, tried my key, still nothing. Called the tow truck. While we were waiting a cab driver offered a boost. We hooked it up, let it charge for a few minutes, it started right up. I drove straight to my mechanic, we stopped and restarted the engine without a problem. He did a load test on the battery, it failed, and was replaced under warranty.

I drove home, abut six hours later, my wife tried to start it, no go again. I tried to jump start again, no cranking with either key. I noticed this time, that while the idiot lights and nav screen would come on, after ten seconds or so both would go dark. Called the tow truck again, an arrival at the mechanic's garage, they unloaded, and it started right up.

We left the car with him for a week, it started up every day. They printed up diagnostic reports, sent them out for analysis, no errors found. He suspects it might be the Intelligent Battery Sensor (the block right by the battery + terminal, but couldn't be sure this was the problem. I declined the $430 gamble to replace this, and drove the car home without incident. The mechanic thought my wife's key might somehow be the culprit. She had a couple of low key battery warnings a couple of months ago, but not recently (I replaced batteries in both keys just in case).

This week, after seven months with no problems, it happened again. This time it was still doing at the shop. I also noted that the steering wheel lock stayed locked when I pushed the start button. It's in the shop now and they are running PIN codes. Anybody else experience anything like this?
pkfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

Does this car have an interlock for the brake pedal to be depressed for starting? If so, I'd start there...
Old 02-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
pkfolly
1st Gear Newbie

No brake interlock, just the clutch.
pkfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:40 PM   #4
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Is there an open recall for the battery + cable to JBE?

Sam
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
E90guy
1st Gear Newbie

It's your terminal happened on my 540 and my e90 328 it's a stupid little gap between the terminal and the battery on the 540 I put a screw in between never had the problem again and my e90 changed the terminals never happened again. Seems very stupid but worked for me. Exact same issue as u

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E90guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: