Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-11-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

EU2 Tune on E46 will pass.

Hey,

I have an 01 330i with Catless Ebay Headers, K&N Cold Air Intake Kit and 3.07ZHP diff swap.

I just passed emissions with one monitor not ready with a Euro EU2. This tune gives you a more stable idle, for instance if you gun it and put it in neutral it won't idle hunt. You'll notice more down low torque and it feels like Vanos engages earlier. The throttle map is much nicer, it's easier to take off from stop and on my car it feels like it's picked up a few ponies even right up top.

When I did the K&N the car didn't feel much faster but on the highway it felt like the throttle was more responsive. When I did the headers the car picked up a very noticeable amount of power and became really peaky up top. The EU2 feels like it there is a broader torque curve and some more power up top. I know this is all subjective but lets say the Headers added 15-20 HP this tune feels like it added 7-10 HP.

When you flash a US/CAD spec car with the EU2 tune it automatically reverts to an EU3 tune because it senses the 02 sensors and secondary air pump. I did this at first and the car didn't pick up as much power it only became a bit smoother and had a bit more torque and up high it was hard to say, maybe a couple HP. I then found a thread on E46fanatics which walks you through forcing the tune to run in "cat-preparation" mode which is the EU2 tune. You have to pull fuse number 4 in the DME box and pull the orange SAP relay behind the glove box. You then reset your adaptations go for a drive and you'll end up with one monitor not ready which is good enough to pass the emissions test. If you fail to do this you'll have too many monitors not ready as the ECU will still be looking for cats.

I bought an OBD II K+DCAN cable off someone on Kijiji (search INPA and you'll find them) I used INPA and WinKFP 5.1.6 to program the ECU.

There is a bit of a learning curve but all this info can be found on e46fanatics.

Just wanted to let everyone know that if you have headers and you are using non foulers to trick to ECU to pass the new emissions standards or to just turn of your CEL you are missing out on a much nicer tune that gets you through Ontarios new emissions standards.
Aveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:29 AM   #2
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Link to thread on E46Fanatics?

I think your understanding of the DME reverting to EU3 is a bit off. The tune that you flash, is the tune you'll have.

If you enabled UIF writes in WinKFP before flashing, the program will show you your tune version, which will match up to whatever you flashed. WinKFP will also not allow you to flash tunes which are incompatible for your car. It shouldn't matter what DME version you had before, or what your car came with. What designates a EU or US-spec car is the tune.

Adding to this, whatever sensors you have plugged in such as the SAP and post-cat O2's, will not matter with the EU2 tune. The DME doesn't look for them anymore. And instead of "not ready", a scan will show you those systems are "not applicable". (i.e. disabled)

What you may be onto here is the cat-preparation mode, which seems to be a test tune which allows one or more emissions systems to be non-functioning, without a "non-applicable" reading.

Post up some reading info, I'm curious what you've dug through.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Here is the thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=eu2

In a way your right calling it EU3 could be misleading rather I should have called it EU2-CAT vs. EU2-Cat Preparation. EU2-CAT vs. EU3 seems to be looking for exactly the same things but they do indeed have different software version numbers. I'll break down how I even went looking for that thread and how the info lead me to getting my car to pass emissions.

I flashed the EU2 tune which is 7545671. I left UIF writes enabled, my old software version was 7533159. If you see at the bottom of this picture it says CAT. I drove on this tune for a couple days and no longer had a CEL on in my gauge cluster. Now I may be wrong but from what I read in Europe the secondary O2s are not only used for monitoring catalytic converter performance but to also further dial in fuel. Anyway I scanned the car to see if I was ready for my e-test. One of my secondary O2s is bad and when I scanned the car even with no CEL light on I had four codes. Two codes pulled up threads on UK BMW forums so they were European specific. I had a cat efficiency code and a code for the sensor that is bad being stuck rich, and a couple other related codes. Obviously I couldn't go for a test and the car was still looking for a cat. I was happy with the tune as I described above but I didn't feel it did much to make the car any quicker, I was fine with that I just did this to pass my e-test.

Now a couple people said you must pull the SAP relay and fuse before flashing to have a true EU2 tune but after finding the thread I linked above it said you just have to reset adaptations. I didn't take a picture but the last line of the picture above changed to say CAT-preparation after pulling the fuse and relay and resetting adaptations. Now what the thread fails to mention is pulling fuse 4 disables all of your O2 sensors so the car would be running open-loop all the time meaning it's referencing a VE table and using your coolant temp, air intake temp, maf, TPS etc to calculate your AFR. I thought this can't be very efficient but lets see what happens. This VE table would have been designed for countries that had cars shipped with this manifold:

You can even see the plugs where the O2 sensor would go meaning it's true open-loop. There are still some adaptations that will happen over time but not based on the o2 sensor readings. This is probably why the car feels quicker because it has to be referencing a VE table that is designed for the catless manifold which isn't very different than ebay headers.

If you flash a EU2 tune and still have cats or headers with non foulers to trick the ECU you are still using the primary o2 sensors. You won't have any CELS and the car will feel a bit better and you'd even pass emissions but your tune would still be geared toward a car with cats.

I only found this out because I never even bothered with the non fouler trick and had a bad O2 sensor which logged the codes that made me dig a little further into this.

So in your case if you have headers and a EU2 tune go in to INPA and see if it says CAT or CAT-preparation. If it says CAT and you pull the SAP relay, fuse 4 and reset adaptations you'll feel a noticeable difference in power.

I've noticed no adverse effect to my fuel economy, I've put a few hundred kms on this tune and it seems to be doing a bit better even.

Some of this information is missing from that thread and I plan to post a response based on my experience.

I've built, wired up and tuned two E30s on megasquirt,one was turbo putting down 330 WHP and another was just a ETA/325i hybrid but I became pretty familiar with how you can make the cars run such as Alpha-N mode and I believe that is how my DME is running now.

The difference is it's running Alpha-N mode with no errors. If you are running US spec software and one of your o2 sensors fail it will throw a code and run open loop and maybe richen things up and pulls some timing and you'll notice
your fuel economy will suffer. With the EU2 in CAT-preparation mode I believe it's more than just failsafe it's optimized as some cars are delivered with this tune such as in Poland/Russia etc.

I'm guessing BWM shipped some cars to countries where the cats were added at the dealer level before delivery and rather than require a reprogram they would just need to reset adaptations?

Anyway without a dyno I could just be talking out of my ass but if you're familiar with INPA why not try it and see how your car feels after? If it already says CAT-preparation then you're already good to go.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...136&highlight=

You'll probably find this interesting also.

I'll post up a pic of INPA showing CAT-Preparation mode tonight.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #5
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Hey, was the 1 monitor not ready because of the EU tune? Or was it unrelated?
Old 02-13-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Here is how it ended up before the test, when I first reset adaptations the oxygen sensor monitor wasn't ready but when I drove it for a bit it went ready. I'll double check now that's it's been a couple days to see if the oxygen sensor heater monitor went ready. You would still pass with one monitor not ready anyway.

It was related to the EU2 tune. Because of the missing fuse the car isn't using any O2s so when I saw the monitor for oxygen sensors was not ready I didn't think it would change to ready but it did to my surprise. I went straight for the test and made this thread.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveman View Post
What software are you using here? This is with the standard VAGCOM cable, correct?
Old 02-13-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Hey I'm using TouchScan, here is a link:

http://www.obdsoftware.net/TouchScanInfo.aspx

I have an ELM327 Bluetooth adapter that I used to make the connection with this software. I pretty sure I could have used the OBD II K+DCAN instead as it
just connects through a standard com port.

The TouchScan software allows you to try it for 15 days, I just used the trial. My trial ran out and I was able to get a new trial key pretty easily by signing up again. It's pretty handy and easy to use.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Here is a pic showing it in CAT-preparation mode.

Here you can see no errors

O2 sensor activity.

I still have the same monitor not ready so assume that you'll end up with the same but that will pass emissions no problem on a 2001+
Old 02-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #10
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

This was my original tune before I programmed.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:22 PM   #11
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aveman View Post
I still have the same monitor not ready so assume that you'll end up with the same but that will pass emissions no problem on a 2001+
Thanks for checking, that's good to know.

I wonder if 1 not ready is still allowed on a 2008, gotta look into that. I'm planning to get a tune that does a similar type of thing.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #12
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Thanks for checking, that's good to know.

I wonder if 1 not ready is still allowed on a 2008, gotta look into that. I'm planning to get a tune that does a similar type of thing.
Yeah 2008 cars can have one monitor not ready.

1987 and older cars are emissions exempt. 1988-1997 cars have to get a traditional tail pipe test. 1998-2000 cars can have two monitors not ready and 2001+ one monitor not ready.

This info can be found here:

http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...STDPROD_102286

Last edited by Aveman; 02-14-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Thank you!

I could swear I googled that and read thru a few pages on the Service Ontario website and couldn't find that. I knew it was somewhere.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #14
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Thank you!

I could swear I googled that and read thru a few pages on the Service Ontario website and couldn't find that. I knew it was somewhere.
No problem.

Next project is flashing a EU2 CAT-preparation tune to a E38 that has been converted to 6 speed. This car is running without cats also. I'll let you know how many monitors end up being ready on that car. It might give you an idea of what to expect on your car.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

What does it mean if my car is running EU2, yet it still cycles through the catalyst warm up idle? (I.e. the idle will maintain around 1200rpm for 2 or so minutes from a cold start)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: