Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post

However I beg to differ on "can happen on any car" unless you work on new bmw's daily and see the crap they build now and price they want for a pump, nearly a $1k job, its disgusting and not "just one of those things that can happen on any car" situation. It SHOULDNT be happening this early and has NO direct relation to the e36 pump issues, completely different pump and system. That goes for the manifold off job they now need to replace starters, ridiculous, you need to do that on your E30? Just because I love me a bimmer and work on them does not mean I have blind allegiance to build quality. Todays bimmers or I should say from roughly 2005/6 to new are throw away cars!
Your forgetting its the first 3 series with an electronic waterpump and they were a bad make from the get go that manufactured them. I had this done on my car but I didnt pay $1k .. it was $600 and $400 for the part. The fixed this issue now as they offer a new part (different part number when you order) from the dealer. There are a few aftermarket ones people can get also but its not worth the hassle if it could happen again with an unknown brand.

Every car has there thing that goes .. on my E46 it was those damn control arms that would go all the time. I find that my E46 was more costly then my e90 so far and if you buy used you never know what you might get. As for oil changes every 10-12k I think its a bit long. I do mine every 5-7k .. I sold my E46 at 280,000k and the person that had it tracked it and it finally died at 760,000km. Thats how I know I have a good mechanic and the person took my old car to the same guy.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #17
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

I agree the new water pumps which include the Tstat are not holding up as they should. We auto scan a car during a service as well and I can see the "life" or rpm of the water pump and know whats coming, just a cool factor. I also agree the sooner the oil change the better, try getting anyone who isnt a car guy in before 10,000 is a task lol

A frame bushings as well, E46's love eatin em

I currently drive a E46 325xi myself, I love the car but it has it's annoyances, such as boots tearing in the front every 30-40000 km's, a little expense most new xi owners dont factor in.

Also we only use oem equipment and the best price we know off out of Toronto was $5XX for the water pump as a "kit" price from the dealer, here in Niagara Falls area the dealer wants $800!

The reason we use oem only is labour, if we fit a aftermarket part and it breaks, who covers the labour...if we use oem supplied by us via the dealer we cover the cost of replacement if a failure occurs. Some shops do this, some don't, just a matter of personal pref.

Last edited by Blackedout95; 01-24-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Blackedout95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #18
ixguy
Been there, fixed that.

So I ended up changing the oil at 11,300km and found out the history of it was changes at 20k, 35k, 50k while under warranty, so intervals of 20k, 15k, 15k.

BMW factory oil seems to be the only thing I can find... at $8.61/L it's not overpriced, but it pains me to see 5L jugs of Mobile 1 or whatever on sale for $26 and I ccan't buy one. :-) Plus the nearest dealer is an hour from my house, wouldn't have expected to visit them every time I want to do an oil change.

Any thoughts on using BMWLL-01 European formula Mobile 1 0-40?
How about Penzoil Platinum BWMLL-01 European formula 5-30?
Anyone found good sources for these?
ixguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #19
jcr
2nd Gear Member

I think the Mobil 1, Castro European formula are the easier ones to find locally. Some carry Total. Make sure it is LL01 not LL04.

Or if you travel to the USA load up! It is around $26 for a gallon
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #20
Burgermeistr
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades View Post
Your forgetting its the first 3 series with an electronic waterpump and they were a bad make from the get go that manufactured them. I had this done on my car but I didnt pay $1k .. it was $600 and $400 for the part. The fixed this issue now as they offer a new part (different part number when you order) from the dealer. There are a few aftermarket ones people can get also but its not worth the hassle if it could happen again with an unknown brand.

Every car has there thing that goes .. on my E46 it was those damn control arms that would go all the time. I find that my E46 was more costly then my e90 so far and if you buy used you never know what you might get. As for oil changes every 10-12k I think its a bit long. I do mine every 5-7k .. I sold my E46 at 280,000k and the person that had it tracked it and it finally died at 760,000km. Thats how I know I have a good mechanic and the person took my old car to the same guy.
Who is your mechanic? I'm also in Miss and am in need of a good BMW shop.
Burgermeistr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #21
cormier
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgermeistr View Post
Who is your mechanic? I'm also in Miss and am in need of a good BMW shop.
Bimmersport is in Mississauga

cormier is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: