Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 PM   #1
ixguy
Been there, fixed that.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 28
Took the plunge

Having owned an E30, E36, and E46 in succession, I just signed for a E90.

So on Monday I take possession of a 2009 323i with 55k on the clock. It was a CPO car but I opted for the savings rather than pay the price for a short duration extended warranty with more km's than I could possibly use in the time frame. But the dealership had already done the CPO reconditioning.

Looking for advice as to anything I should look for or ask for prior to final approval, and, anything that I need to look at servicing/replacing soon given the mileage. I'm used to buying bimmers with 180,000km or more on them, not 55k.

Pretty excited, newest car I've bought for myself so far...

Thanks guys.
ixguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Blades
Your opinion is to long
 
Blades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 5,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixguy View Post
Having owned an E30, E36, and E46 in succession, I just signed for a E90.

So on Monday I take possession of a 2009 323i with 55k on the clock. It was a CPO car but I opted for the savings rather than pay the price for a short duration extended warranty with more km's than I could possibly use in the time frame. But the dealership had already done the CPO reconditioning.

Looking for advice as to anything I should look for or ask for prior to final approval, and, anything that I need to look at servicing/replacing soon given the mileage. I'm used to buying bimmers with 180,000km or more on them, not 55k.

Pretty excited, newest car I've bought for myself so far...

Thanks guys.
Congrats! your going to love the car and the interior .. your going to hate your power loss thou. I went from an E46 to E90 as well. I cant think of anything in that km range except maybe spark plugs really

edit: I didnt notice your 99 323i under car .. you wont notice a power loss then .. in fact you might notice some gain.
__________________
-=[ BL/\DES ]=-



All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown

Last edited by Blades; 01-22-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
CoolAsIce
1st Gear Newbie
 
CoolAsIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond Hill
Posts: 40
Congrats on your purchase. I've also owned an E90, it was a 2011 323i 6 speed manual. Loved the car but the lack of power started to get to me. If you don't mind that then it will be a great car. I never had an issue with it
CoolAsIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #4
ixguy
Been there, fixed that.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolAsIce View Post
Congrats on your purchase. I've also owned an E90, it was a 2011 323i 6 speed manual. Loved the car but the lack of power started to get to me. If you don't mind that then it will be a great car. I never had an issue with it
Going from 168HP to 200HP, so should if anything be a little quicker.
Anyway I'm ok with the power at that level, my daughter is 17 -- hence the auto transmission also.. ...

I do miss the relative ferocity of the E36 328i sport 5spd. And the rawness of my old iX. But at this point I need a reliable highway cruiser that looks respectable for business meetings and that my daughter can drive, so this seems pretty ideal.

I'll have a look at the history sheet (CPO) and see if the plugs were done.

How much do oil changes cost to have done? Or to do yourself? Do most people split the factory intervals? Do you reset the indicators yourselves?
ixguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #5
CoolAsIce
1st Gear Newbie
 
CoolAsIce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Richmond Hill
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixguy View Post
How much do oil changes cost to have done? Or to do yourself? Do most people split the factory intervals? Do you reset the indicators yourselves?
I leased my E90, never considered keeping it so i followed the BMW service intervals. had my first oil change at 23K and never made it till my second oil change as i traded it in at 35K. The services were included so I never needed to pay for anything. I now have a F30, this car i plan on splitting the services. So i will be doing my oil change roughly every 10K. Resetting the servicing indicator is very easy to do. you do it through the BC menu. I'm sure there are many youtube videos that can show you how.
CoolAsIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Blades
Your opinion is to long
 
Blades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 5,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixguy View Post
Going from 168HP to 200HP, so should if anything be a little quicker.
Anyway I'm ok with the power at that level, my daughter is 17 -- hence the auto transmission also.. ...

I do miss the relative ferocity of the E36 328i sport 5spd. And the rawness of my old iX. But at this point I need a reliable highway cruiser that looks respectable for business meetings and that my daughter can drive, so this seems pretty ideal.

I'll have a look at the history sheet (CPO) and see if the plugs were done.

How much do oil changes cost to have done? Or to do yourself? Do most people split the factory intervals? Do you reset the indicators yourselves?
These days saving on oil changes isnt much .. I rather have a shop do it as my life is busy enough. Synthetic oil change will go for about $90-95 for the e90
__________________
-=[ BL/\DES ]=-



All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
jcr
2nd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 54
Congrats!

Oil change I do it at a shop for $80.

What is the schedule spark plug for our vehicle? 55K for spark plug is a little early isn't it? Thought most modern spark plugs can last around 140K?
jcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #8
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,083
Find a good bmw garage to do a REAL oil service, not just filter and oil but one that will inspect the car, oil hinges, top up washer fluid, check brake fluid and wear, silicone rubbers, check susp, drop trays and look at lines for leaks etc, could save bigger repair bills in the future, I do it daily!

For an extra $40+ roughly it is a good investment once or twice a year depending on how many k's you put on it a year.

$80.... sure and over the years it will start to look like you spent $80, I see it daily. Especially since your daughter is driving it why not.

For example you get in your e90 one day and it doesn't start, why? There is somewhere a good mechanic who knows e90's will look during a routine service, for corrosion, do you get that for $80?

In life and with cars you get 110% what you pay for.
__________________
E46

Last edited by Blackedout95; 01-22-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
Blades
Your opinion is to long
 
Blades's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 5,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post

For example you get in your e90 one day and it doesn't start, why?
.. is it because a mechanic didnt check my windshield fluid?

if a car is going to **** up its going to **** up .. any good mechanic will check other things when working on your car obviously .. your just assuming here.
__________________
-=[ BL/\DES ]=-



All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
ixguy
Been there, fixed that.
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Find a good bmw garage to do a REAL oil service, not just filter and oil but one that will inspect the car, oil hinges, top up washer fluid, check brake fluid and wear, silicone rubbers, check susp, drop trays and look at lines for leaks etc, could save bigger repair bills in the future, I do it daily!

For an extra $40+ roughly it is a good investment once or twice a year depending on how many k's you put on it a year.

$80.... sure and over the years it will start to look like you spent $80, I see it daily. Especially since your daughter is driving it why not.

For example you get in your e90 one day and it doesn't start, why? There is somewhere a good mechanic who knows e90's will look during a routine service, for corrosion, do you get that for $80?

In life and with cars you get 110% what you pay for.

So, at what interval do YOU recommend changing the oil in an E90?
ixguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,083
We recommend every 10,000-12,000 KM's.

The only reason I would recommend before 12,000 is if you tended to do more city driving (short trips).

These motors like past e46/36 models tend you like stretching their legs, short trips = a gunky build up over time easily visable when removing the cap. Couple that with following BMW's recommended (dash) service interval of 25,000 +/- and you end up finding issues occur. The vanos is highly dependent upon pressure and your ccv will thank you as well.

As far as BLADES reply, you fail to realize a good bmw mechanic who keeps up to date with recalls, service bulletins etc will know what to look for and likely is not doing so for $80!!!! including oil and filter LOL. Like a main battery cable that runs from the rear (pass side) inner fender (behind wheel/under cover) to your starter/alt. They are in a area that can build up with corrosion and cause a "no start". A complete repair of the line (replacement) is a $2,000 job +/-. And BMW will ONLY replace the entire line which is $400 itself.

By paying a small extra amount now and then you can save in the future, its called not cheaping out on a REAL service. Which btw a good bmw mechanic would know on a e90 to pull back the cover and spray a gravel gaurd as recommended. They put it in a silly place, no longer in the car.

We actually deal with people nearly weekly who stop in for their first service after owning a car years, following bmw service intervals and or just buying a car without knowing how it was serviced and seeing issues. I am not saying things won't fail regardless but that is not an attitude a wise man takes.

I do not give advice just to make someone feel better, I give the honest answer. And an honest statement would be even a BMW service itself is most times lacking, find a solid bmw specialist and let them know these are things you want examined when serviced as part of the oil change. If they cannot take 10 minutes out of their day to service you properly, find another one. Our garage has two owners who started at BMW and had worked their for decades and still have BMW tech's in the family.

As far as the e90 goes we are starting to see more and more vanos issues, cam sensors, water pumps, starters, vcg etc, all stuff that will likely fail sooner than on your e30 for sure and some on the e36. Honestly it is a disgrace to see 4-7 yr old cars need pumps and starters etc but that is bmw now.
__________________
E46

Last edited by Blackedout95; 01-23-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #12
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!
 
Axxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oakville
Posts: 9,769
Starter can happen on any car, water pump issue isn't exactly new. E30 WP's got changed with the timing belt service, E36's had the horrible plastic impeller failures.

OP, good luck with your car ownership, working through the 3-series is nice, you get the see all the little changes that added up, some positive, some negative.
__________________

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #13
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,083
Very true, first thing on my old e36 that went after buying it at just 98,000 km's was the WP

However I beg to differ on "can happen on any car" unless you work on new bmw's daily and see the crap they build now and price they want for a pump, nearly a $1k job, its disgusting and not "just one of those things that can happen on any car" situation. It SHOULDNT be happening this early and has NO direct relation to the e36 pump issues, completely different pump and system. That goes for the manifold off job they now need to replace starters, ridiculous, you need to do that on your E30? Just because I love me a bimmer and work on them does not mean I have blind allegiance to build quality. Todays bimmers or I should say from roughly 2005/6 to new are throw away cars!

You think in 25-30 years youll see a E60 5 series roaming the roads or even a e90?

One interesting thing is people sometimes complain about a service cost on newer bimmers but forget while more expensive than a E30 for sure you should be servicing your e30 twice as much
__________________
E46

Last edited by Blackedout95; 01-23-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #14
SamE30e
6th Gear Member
 
SamE30e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Milton
Posts: 2,870
Early N52's had an annoying lifter noise that usually resulted in a cylinder head being replaced under warranty.

323's don't really break. I've seen some high milage ones come though work, they very rarely come in for no start's. And if they do, it's usually a battery due to short trips. They do have an open recall for the battery + to junction box. But if it was CPO then it's been done and you don't have to worry about it. They're also known for Evaporators (not crazy common but it happens in E90's), oil filter housing gaskets and valve cover gaskets.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive one if the price was right. It's a good car, it's no 330i but a decent car none the less.

And Blackedout. If a car comes into a dealership, it get's a good visual inspection. That battery cable is also inside the car until it hit's the engine bay.
__________________
91 318is - M50NV (gone)
02 WRB Subaru WRX EJ207 forged, 320 AWHP stock turbo.
85 - 325
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #15
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
Early N52's had an annoying lifter noise that usually resulted in a cylinder head being replaced under warranty.

323's don't really break. I've seen some high milage ones come though work, they very rarely come in for no start's. And if they do, it's usually a battery due to short trips. They do have an open recall for the battery + to junction box. But if it was CPO then it's been done and you don't have to worry about it. They're also known for Evaporators (not crazy common but it happens in E90's), oil filter housing gaskets and valve cover gaskets.

I wouldn't hesitate to drive one if the price was right. It's a good car, it's no 330i but a decent car none the less.

And Blackedout. If a car comes into a dealership, it get's a good visual inspection. That battery cable is also inside the car until it hit's the engine bay.
I agree and concur on all parts except this one.."That battery cable is also inside the car until it hit's the engine bay"

Not true, you are very confused, your Jbox cable does remain inside but stops at the box behind glove box (not directly to engine bay) and yes has issues with burning up and should be handled with a recall, not the main supply to the engine bay. Also a simple no start with no other issues does not point to the JBox, Jbox issues generally show other issue since it affects the box, literally behind the glove box, tons of buses their

I just went through this a while back, I was a little shocked since I assumed the main power cable to the starter and alt ran inside the car as others had in the past.

Go to page 5 and enlarge, in fact this is a great read for e90 owners or bmw tech's ( aren't you a tech Sam, shouldn't you have read this?) in terms of how their battery system works from front to back, including the J box etc. Those two cables run from where I mentioned previously, up and over the wheel arch and along the underside of the car and into the engine bay, covers by nothing other than that shield, NOT in the car and easily corrosion sets in, trust me! See #2 for details on Page 5.

Enjoy and you owe me a beer, now you can tell coworkers, hey did you know bmw runs their main power to the starter and alt outside the car!

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...DpAN3-TCIXL97w
__________________
E46

Last edited by Blackedout95; 01-23-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.