Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
dee0007
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
1) Unplug MAF, try starting and see how it drives. Your car will run rich while its unplugged (more fuel)

2) Change fuel filter. If you haven't already, by your mileage you're OVERDUE.

3) Add 2 bottles of Chevron Techron (BMW fuel system cleaner)

4) Check Fuel Pump pressure.

5) Check injectors (Although Techron should help)

6) Check coil packs/sparkplugs

Do it in that order, the first items are free/needed anyways.
Yesterday I tried starting the car and it didn't want to start right away. I Stopped and unplugged the MAF and still the car did not start right away, does this mean that the MAF is not the problem in my case?

And I did recently change the fuel filter.
dee0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #17
dee0007
2nd Gear Member

How can I check fuel pump pressure.
dee0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #18
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail. See if Partsource has a fuel pressure gauge to rent.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #19
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

Starting issue

I just wrote this for another forum member with another no start issue but will pertain to your vehicle as well:

You need to have the issue diagnosed properly, there are numerous components on your car that could cause a no start and you need to narrow down what it is.
Have you checked for fuel pressure, have you confirmed the vehicle has spark? Without performing these simple checks you have no real world way of finding a solution or narrowing down which component requires replacing/repair. Are all the parts you purchased brand new (I have experienced OEM BMW parts being faulty from new, it happens) I am not trying to harp on you but don't be afraid to pay someone for there expertise and knowledge (dealership/BMW specialty shop). Everyone always says they can't afford the diagnostic time (but don't have issues paying to throw parts at the car in hopes it's the solution they are looking for) Or try to educate yourself if not interested in paying someone, there is a lot of useful information both here on Maxbimmer and the internet in general on what tests to perform and how to do them without fancy computerized diagnostic equipment. Hope this helps and best of luck with your car! Check Maxbimmer list of sponsors for a reputable shop in your area.
BMW_TECH_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #20
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Send a message via MSN to AlpWhitE46
I have the same issue but it happens only once every like 3 months... really weird.

1. It has been happening ever since a few years ago the VANOS was replaced by some guy who i don't think did the timing right.

2. It happens only when i go to start the car, and it doesn't start correctly (maybe i didn't hold the key long enough to crank it) then i have to pretty much try to crank it for about a good 10-15 seconds as it picks up in sound that its close to turning on while holding gas.

3. A bunch of smoke comes out and rough smell from that, i have to hold the gas at a high rpm or the car will shut off. If it does i have to repeat but it starts in about 5-6 seconds the second time, and then the car works fine after that.. lol
AlpWhitE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #21
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpWhitE46 View Post
I have the same issue but it happens only once every like 3 months... really weird.

1. It has been happening ever since a few years ago the VANOS was replaced by some guy who i don't think did the timing right.

2. It happens only when i go to start the car, and it doesn't start correctly (maybe i didn't hold the key long enough to crank it) then i have to pretty much try to crank it for about a good 10-15 seconds as it picks up in sound that its close to turning on while holding gas.

3. A bunch of smoke comes out and rough smell from that, i have to hold the gas at a high rpm or the car will shut off. If it does i have to repeat but it starts in about 5-6 seconds the second time, and then the car works fine after that.. lol
That would be the car running rich...at the first unsuccessful start it gets flooded with too much gas. It can even be so flooded that it will never start, happened to me on an X3 last week. Did everthing to it, even clean the spark plugs but nothing untill we actually replaced them, and it started first crank!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #22
AlpWhitE46
is a pimp

Send a message via MSN to AlpWhitE46
Hmm ok i should look into doing my spark plugs then
AlpWhitE46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread