Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

2002 525i (E39) is acting strange!

About a month ago I got this right back light warning light on the dashboard but all lights were working properly. This warning light appeared few times over a period of 2 weeks then stopped appearing. So I thought nothing of it (until now I donít know if it has anything with the issues my car started experiencing todayósee below).

This morning while unlocking my car by the remote key the back signal lights didnít come on. With further testing I found the following:

1) The back signal lights stopped signalling when unlocking the car.
2) The dashboard indicator does not blink and does not make a sound (all signal lights work properly though).
3) The reverse lights donít work.
4) The heated seats donít work.
5) The radio/audio does not work.
6) The doors donít lock automatically after driving.
7) The PDC doesnít work.
8) The headlights come on (itís on the auto setting) after about 5 second of starting the car.
9) The dashboard does not show the doors open warning.
10) I canít remember hearing or seeing the seatbelt warning.
11) The central locking button in the centre console does not work.

I went through all the fuses and none looks blown outóthey all seem fine (the little fuse wire is connected and none of the fuses are burned).

I took some out and put them back in place but that changed nothing. I took one brown fuse in the gloves compartment out and the alarm system went off so I put it back in quickly and when I locked and unlocked the car the back signal lights worked, then it stopped working when I tried again.

Does anybody know whatís going on? I am taking my car to the mechanic this Friday so I will ask him but I would love to know if there is a fix I can do myself before then. I searched online and someone changed his instruments cluster but I donít think that has anything to do with my problems.

Should I disconnect the battery and connected it again? What are the consequences of doing that?

Any helpful advice is much appreciated.
wc123wc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Also, I checked the fuse boxes in the trunk (right hand side), and gloves compartment.

Is there another one under the hood or other places?
Old 01-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Have you checked the fuse box under the passenger seat?

Check out this thread:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161414
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

I haven't checked that yet. I just checked the Ebox under the hood and everything looks fine. It's probably the cleanest part of the car! No smell, no burned fuse/wires, nothing out of place.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to follow on that tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
wc123wc
2nd Gear Member

Problem solved. The wire for my after market MP3/USB player was loose. I tightened it and everything worked fine! Thank you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: