Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
windwagen
6th Gear Member

E39 M5 vs 528 touring

I've finally got my winter beater on the road.

Although they are they same car, the drive feels different. M5 and my old 540felt heavier and more planted. I figure the V8 is heavier and the steering is different. Touring has rack and pinion and feels a lot lighter, clutch effort is way less - like a civic. Steering ratio is slower too. It's missing that teutonic overbuilt feel and feels more like an economy car in comparison.

Handling wise, the Touring pretty much matches the M5 around the 407 ramp. No drop throttle drifting though! I can't get the rear to break loose on dry pavement. I was quite impressed with the almost new "all season" tires that the previous owner mentioned. But when I had a closer look, I noticed the big tread blocks and lack of siping which aren't typical for all season. I looked up Firehawk Wide Oval on the net. These are Firestone's hottest SUMMER tire! Not bad.....

Here's some recent pic of my E39s. Somehow the M5 still looks more aggressive...maybe the T bar on the front bumper? Missing fog lights? I've always liked the look of the BBS style 5 wheels so I was pretty happy when this car came with those. But they look out of place for some reason. The M5 is wearing the style 66 with snow tires in the picture. I put those on the touring now and it looks hot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB239522.jpg (495.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg PB239520.jpg (435.8 KB, 118 views)
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Nice. I need to get me an e39 touring to be the parts hauler.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #3
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Grills headlights and T bar make all the difference. It's subtle, but the overall effect is much more aggressive!
Old 11-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Thanks - yeah, not only is the grill skinny, it's missing a piece. You know, it took me a long time to figure out the difference between wide and skinny. After reading your response, I just noticed that the 528 grille is black vs the M5's chrome.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

ive been looking for a manual touring for quite some time.

rack and pinion > recirc ball
Old 11-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
windwagen
6th Gear Member

I know... even though this one needed a LOT of work, the stick is one of the reasons why I went for it. I didn't have to spend a lot of dough to get it into shape, but I spent a lot of time.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
egye30
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to egye30
i think i've got a set of fogs for the e39 m-bumper layin around at my buddies shop, theyre by no means brand new but they are oem and will certainly fill those holes. PM me an offer and they're yours

1990 325i Sterling Silver Metallic/Black leather.
M52B28 OBD-I W/ S52 Cams, M50 Manifold, SS Headers, Short ram intake, Stage 2 clutch w/ 14lb flywheel, Mark D chip tune.
Bilstein Sports with Eibach Pro springs + E90 drop hats, F+R Strut bars, '04 330ci Steering rack (3.0 Lock to lock, 13:1)
Custom Built BBS RS's 16x8 square.
egye30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: