Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
<3MyE36
-Richy Nevaless-

BMW Key Cutting?

Hello MaX members! I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a trustworthy place to get some extra keys cut for my E36? I only have one & it doesn't have a remote to open the locks it is just the key with the little flashlight button I have posted a picture if anyone is confused about what I mean. I have read on other threads that Mike (Maranello) can give me a decent price as well as "Keys4Cars" in Etobicoke. Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks!

-Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E36 Key .jpg (167.7 KB, 204 views)
<3MyE36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
<3MyE36
-Richy Nevaless-

bump!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
aviator
3rd Gear Member

IDK with the fancy keys like the ones BMW uses these days imo you are best to go to the dealer when you need a key cut.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #4
<3MyE36
-Richy Nevaless-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
IDK with the fancy keys like the ones BMW uses these days imo you are best to go to the dealer when you need a key cut.
Well I don't know about fancy, but I think my E36 key is pretty basic and shouldn't be that hard to make a duplicate of but thanks anyways!

-Rich
Old 11-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
jamrobin
1st Gear Newbie

Hi I actually recently researched this...

For earlier e36 anyone who has a machine to "laser cut" (which actually has nothing to do with laser cutting, it's a 2 sided milling machine) can cut it...

If you have a transponder chip in your key (post '96 I think but might be earlier) it can be cut but still won't start the car. (caveat keep reading)

I got e-bay blanks for my '94 and had them cut no problem ($20), but for my '99 I have also ordered (but not received yet) the transponder chip that has to get popped into the key... (these are only a couple bucks in lots of 5) the other piece you need (or have to find someone who has) is an AK90 programmer... they now seem to be going for about $80-$90. The instructions for how to use it are all over the web.

I asked at the dealership and they wanted about $200 for a new key, and the shop that cut the keys for my '94 said they could do the programming too but wanted $90 for the programming and $20 for cutting so I think I will just go ahead and buy the AK90 and be able to do all but the cutting to make my own.

Hope that's some help,
Jamie
jamrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
<3MyE36
-Richy Nevaless-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrobin View Post
Hi I actually recently researched this...

For earlier e36 anyone who has a machine to "laser cut" (which actually has nothing to do with laser cutting, it's a 2 sided milling machine) can cut it...

If you have a transponder chip in your key (post '96 I think but might be earlier) it can be cut but still won't start the car. (caveat keep reading)

I got e-bay blanks for my '94 and had them cut no problem ($20), but for my '99 I have also ordered (but not received yet) the transponder chip that has to get popped into the key... (these are only a couple bucks in lots of 5) the other piece you need (or have to find someone who has) is an AK90 programmer... they now seem to be going for about $80-$90. The instructions for how to use it are all over the web.

I asked at the dealership and they wanted about $200 for a new key, and the shop that cut the keys for my '94 said they could do the programming too but wanted $90 for the programming and $20 for cutting so I think I will just go ahead and buy the AK90 and be able to do all but the cutting to make my own.

Hope that's some help,
Jamie
Well my E36 was built in October of 1992, does it have a transponder? If not,
I should be able to get ebay blanks and have them cut without a problem right?
Thanks Jamie,

-Rich
Old 11-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
jamrobin
1st Gear Newbie

That's exactly what I did for 2 spares for my '94. Paid about $8 or something for each blank then $20 each to cut and they work fine.
Jamie
jamrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
aviator
3rd Gear Member

I was referring to the laser cut transponder keys when I said fancy... I thought all those funky stick keys had transponders... did'nt know they came later.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

Anyone know where I can get an E46 key cut on the west end? I just need the cut.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe View Post
Anyone know where I can get an E46 key cut on the west end? I just need the cut.
I dont think there is anyone that cuts them here .. I had to get mine done by the dealer and the keys were sent from Germany (but that was long time ago)
.. back when we use to hang

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
tomek,

this is all the way in the east end, but this guy is real good:
ebedem64@yahoo.ca

his name is ene, he works from his home, really good pricing. (i paid 50$ for a coded non-remote 07 camry key)

are you sure you need it just cut? are you programming it yourself? i only have 1 key for the m3 so im going to make a spare.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #12
Blades
Your opinion is to long

programming it to the car is easy .. just a few steps in terms of holding the buttons inside the car. This can be found online but if you cant find it then let me know I think I still have it somewhere

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

I heard from the PO that there is a procedure to reprogram. I'm on the verge of just biting the bullet and getting a new one from the dealer, don't really have the time to **** around. Driving for 90 minutes round trip + fuel + cutting fee is probably not much off what the key costs anyway, and the blank I have is definitely cheaper quality than the OEM key.

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
where did you buy your blank?

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
matt123494
2nd Gear Member

Dont go to a random locksmith because i got a key cut and it started to bend after about 2 months of use. Just get one from bmw for like 60 bucks and itll last for many years.
matt123494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
copies, duplicates, e36 keys, key cutting, keys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: